Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Racially Houston is more diverse than Washington DC.

CSAs by Non-Hispanic Whites as a Percentage of the Total Population, 2008 (Non-Hispanic Caucasian ratio to Minority)
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI 82.4%...
Boston-Manchester-Nashua, MA-RI-NH 79.5%...
Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH 76.2%...
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA 73.2%...
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI 70.0%...
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD 67.7%...
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 58.6%...
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI 56.4%...
Washington DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV 55.6%...
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL 54.0%...
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA 53.6%...
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 50.6%...
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX 50.5%...
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 45.5%...
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 42.6%...
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 37.7%...
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA 34.9%...

Ethnically it depends on what you're talking about, both of them have larger numbers of ethnicities of different backgrounds compared to the other.

Houston has more Vietnamese, while Washington DC may have more Russians. So I'll post stats on that later, but racially Minority-Majority, Houston is more diverse than Washington DC. And yeah Houston also does have the largest Nigerian population as well. That is a known fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Washington DC hands down just because it has a lot more to see than Houston. but outside the museums and china town, Washington D.C. sucks
So Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, U Street, Ballston, etc. all suck?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dude the Mission bend area of Greater Houston alone has more than that CSA figure for Houston.

Houston ha sthe largest number of Nigerians hands down. DC is not even in the top ten.

But Nigerians were just one example. Houston is more diverse than DC hands down.
Really? So it's a conspiracy by the U.S. Census Bureau to hide all the Nigerians living in the Houston Metropolitan Area? Think about it for a minute. Why would they do that? Who has more to gain? The Census Bureau or the Mayor of Houston?

D.C. area according to your Wikipedia website has the 2nd most Nigerians. Well it says the Virginia areas has the 2nd, and the Maryland areas has the 3rd. So D.C. would be in the top 10. Number 2 right after Houston, right on your wiki website.

How is Houston more diverse when I showed you that D.C. has more people from different countries all over except for Mexicans and Vietnamese (and possibly Nigerians)?

D.C. has more Central/South Americans.

D.C. has more South Asians.

D.C. has more East Asians.

D.C. has more West Asians.

D.C. has more Europeans.

D.C. has more Africans.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 PM

381 posts, read 814,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
From the census Bureau in 2000:

White: Houston- 49% DC-40%
Black: Houston- 26% DC-54%
Asian Houston- 5.3% DC- 3.2%
Hispanic: Houston 37% DC-8%

Washigngton DC is not more Diverse than HOuston. not in the least

Shouldn't those numbers add up to be less than 100?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Racially Houston is more diverse than Washington DC.

CSAs by Non-Hispanic Whites as a Percentage of the Total Population, 2008 (Non-Hispanic Caucasian ratio to Minority)
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI 82.4%...
Boston-Manchester-Nashua, MA-RI-NH 79.5%...
Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH 76.2%...
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA 73.2%...
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI 70.0%...
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD 67.7%...
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 58.6%...
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI 56.4%...
Washington DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV 55.6%...
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL 54.0%...
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA 53.6%...
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 50.6%...
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX 50.5%...
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 45.5%...
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 42.6%...
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 37.7%...
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA 34.9%...

Ethnically it depends on what you're talking about, both of them have larger numbers of ethnicities of different backgrounds compared to the other.

Houston has more Vietnamese, while Washington DC may have more Russians. So I'll post stats on that later, but racially Minority-Majority, Houston is more diverse than Washington DC. And yeah Houston also does have the largest Nigerian population as well. That is a known fact.
Diversity usually means that there are a lot of different cultures and sub-cultures. Houston has almost 2 million Mexicans alone. So yes, you will see have a lot of interactions with Mexicans, and yes Mexican culture is different than the standard "American" culture. But the larger variety of cultures present in D.C. creates a more diverse feeling.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, U Street, Ballston, etc. all suck?
Never been to those places so how would I know?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Exactly, so how can you say the whole city "sucks" based off of your limited experience? Or are you trying to troll to cause a reaction? A lot of people that stick to the touristy areas of DC really haven't seen the "real" DC where everyday people live and work.

I used to live in San Diego and would hate it when people say that there is nothing there besides the zoo, Sea World or the Beach. Obviously, there is so much more to the city than that, so when people said things like that, I knew they didn't have any credibility because they didn't experience all what the city has to offer.

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Diversity usually means that there are a lot of different cultures and sub-cultures. Houston has almost 2 million Mexicans alone. So yes, you will see have a lot of interactions with Mexicans, and yes Mexican culture is different than the standard "American" culture. But the larger variety of cultures present in D.C. creates a more diverse feeling.
Thats besides the point you are nitpicking the racial diversity index that I provided you. I'm not looking for what "you think" the reason is. Its more racially diverse than Washington DC. I honestly don't care if you agree or not though. You've provided your facts and I have mine the best we can do is agree on it or disagree on the facts and move on. You know? I'm not looking for these cyber debates, lol. Thats all I had wanted to say.

Why is it hard for you to admit that Washington DC is more ethnically diverse and Houston more racially diverse?

I know what diversity is and what it isn't. I'm Asian, I would know better than a lot of people especially when going into an area that has no one thats from where I am.

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
So that means you don't have enough experience with DC to say "Outside of the museums and China Town, Washington, DC sucks." As a matter of fact, I'd say that you haven't really experienced the true essence of DC if you haven't been to those neighborhoods.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Exactly, so how can you say the whole city "sucks" based off of your limited experience? Or are you trying to troll to cause a reaction? A lot of people that stick to the touristy areas of DC really haven't seen the "real" DC where everyday people live and work.

I used to live in San Diego and would hate it when people say that there is nothing there besides the zoo, Sea World or the Beach. Obviously, there is so much more to the city than that, so when people said things like that, I knew they didn't have any credibility because they didn't experience all what the city has to offer.

yes that annoys me too.

I liked DC. But lately DC posters have been bashing the West Coast so I thought I'd get back at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City