Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times

Advertisements

I have tons of Jersey and CT pride lol, you kinda need it with the way people talk about those states and the people from em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
As a Californian, I am proud of every single US state. After all, they would literally just be lines on a map if they had no meaning, and every single US state contributes to the greatness of the United State.

Imagine if the US was a unitary state where the central government could draw and redraw subnational entities (IE US states) at a whim? We wouldn't NEARLY have as much attachment to our states, but probably identify ourselves more with the region of the country we're from AND even more to the cities we're from. Of course, that would defeat the whole purpose of the US being called the United States.

With that being said, I always find something special about every state I visit. However, it IS nice to come home to this, despite all the problems:

If anything, I encourage EVERY American to see more of our great country. Be proud of who you are and where you're from!
Nice. What is that city on that city-limit sign?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ Thats one of the reasons why Miami always gets smashed on this site because the only people to back it up is me and Polo89 (coincidence). And every once an awhile a Miami poster stops by but they mostly just stick to their own forum, I don't blame them.
Exactly, and everyone thinks we're the same person.lol

Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
^ Lol I know.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
New yorkers respect texas pride. Texas is so proud that they think they should be their own country. Thats the type of pride u should have in your state

Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 PM

^ IMO pride like that is too exaggerated. Has anyone ever heard of being humble? This is the United States of America, have respect/pride for ALL of your countrymen and women.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ IMO pride like that is too exaggerated. Has anyone ever heard of being humble?
Agreed

I keep my pride subtle. When I hear people overly boast about what state/city they're from, I start to wonder- "What else does this person have to offer?"

In HS I knew this trashy chick from Brooklyn, and no matter how much she talked- All I knew is that she's from Brooklyn. She even told people to call her "Brooklyn". NO ONE liked her. She was pitiful- That kind of pride is disgusting.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Nice. What is that city on that city-limit sign?
It's taken on I-5 going south from Oregon. There's no city around there (the nearest CA 'city' is Yreka, which is still 32 miles away). The sign says "Purple Heart Trail" (in Far Northern California and Southern Oregon, all the county signs say "We Honor Veterans"). The sign after that, I don't remember.

There SHOULD be a Siskiyou County Line sign there, but its oddly missing. Funny, but here's a sign RIGHT before that one:

Hey, at least other states don't have THIS at their state border (as far as I know)

It's a California Agricultural Checkpoint, but it ALMOST feels like a border checkpoint.

I don't think Californians on this site have as much pride here as they do in real life. It really does feel like we live in a bubble sometimes!

Anyways, its nice visiting other American states because it reminds you how great this country as a whole is

Old 08-20-2010, 10:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I don't have state pride, I step in to defend my state (states) when it gets bashed and step in to defend other states when I get the chance recently a lot of California defending haha, but anyways, I only have pride in the USA. The country, not the states here, I respect the states, but we're all Americans first and foremost. I hope all of us in the USA can happily say we're American.

My only geographical pride = USA!
I'm the same exact way.

I've defended NY/NJ many times, once I was accused of boasting Manhattan because I was defending NYC (Manhattan wasn't really even in the discussion), me of all people lol. I don't think I ever had to defend my other state MD, maybe once or twice.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Agreed

I keep my pride subtle. When I hear people overly boast about what state/city they're from, I start to wonder- "What else does this person have to offer?"

In HS I knew this trashy chick from Brooklyn, and no matter how much she talked- All I knew is that she's from Brooklyn. She even told people to call her "Brooklyn". NO ONE liked her. She was pitiful- That kind of pride is disgusting.
Thats funny because I knew a bunch of trashy chicks from Brooklyn in high school lollll. I hate using the words "trashy chick" and "Brooklyn" in the same sentence because my grandmother was born and raised on Flatbush Avenue but hey, I can't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City