Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

I love those state signs, in May I tried to snap a pic of Pennsylvania's on I-80 but it came out very distorted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I love those state signs, in May I tried to snap a pic of Pennsylvania's on I-80 but it came out very distorted.
Yeah, me too! I have some more of my own!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs257.snc4/40205_430012986856_655271856_5290594_1624007_n.jpg (broken link)

Yeah, Washington's was kind of lame, considering most people going to WA State by car are probably going through this way to begin with (along I-5). LOL!

Here's another one along I-90
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs303.snc4/40466_432008501856_655271856_5343855_6328962_n.jpg (broken link)

Idaho's was too small for me to capture, and the last time I went to Nevada was at night.

California's is actually kind of plain. Out of all the states I've been to, it has the simplest design. The BEST way to know you crossed into the state...wait for the pavement to change. Once you feel it jostle around a whole lot, then you're in California That's one thing I'm ashamed of California; its horrible freakin' highways.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Agreed

I keep my pride subtle. When I hear people overly boast about what state/city they're from, I start to wonder- "What else does this person have to offer?"

In HS I knew this trashy chick from Brooklyn, and no matter how much she talked- All I knew is that she's from Brooklyn. She even told people to call her "Brooklyn". NO ONE liked her. She was pitiful- That kind of pride is disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Thats funny because I knew a bunch of trashy chicks from Brooklyn in high school lollll. I hate using the words "trashy chick" and "Brooklyn" in the same sentence because my grandmother was born and raised on Flatbush Avenue but hey, I can't lie.
Hey, how'd you guys know my nickname? Did we all go to high school together?

Lol, just kidding, I'm not trashy lol. It was a nickname for me though.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Yeah, me too! I have some more of my own!

Yeah, Washington's was kind of lame, considering most people going to WA State by car are probably going through this way to begin with (along I-5). LOL!

Here's another one along I-90

Idaho's was too small for me to capture, and the last time I went to Nevada was at night.

California's is actually kind of plain. Out of all the states I've been to, it has the simplest design. The BEST way to know you crossed into the state...wait for the pavement to change. Once you feel it jostle around a whole lot, then you're in California That's one thing I'm ashamed of California; its horrible freakin' highways.
Great way to tell you've just driven into Massachusetts too lolol. Coming from CT anyway, also, only half the lights along the highway are on all the sudden.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Hey, how'd you guys know my nickname? Did we all go to high school together?

Lol, just kidding, I'm not trashy lol. It was a nickname for me though.
Lol, I love the name Brooklyn.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Great way to tell you've just driven into Massachusetts too lolol. Coming from CT anyway, also, only half the lights along the highway are on all the sudden.
Yeah, you can REALLY tell the difference when you come in from Nevada, since their roads are well paved, lit, and generally well kept. California...think of the complete opposite.

CalTrans does have a hard job though. It's not easy to maintain 16,612 miles of road (source: California Highways (www.cahighways.org): Statistics) across 163,696 square miles through at least 4 large metropolitan areas (the LA area by itself would be a pain for most states, but then the Bay Area, SD, and Sacramento are thrown in for extra fun), across many different terrain, and ALL on a shoe string budget.

Texas seems to be doing a good job of maintaining their roads though, and have almost just as many constraints as California. I haven't had the personal pleasure of driving there yet, but I can imagine its over 9000 times better than driving in California.

Back to topic though; I think everyone should have a degree of pride of where they are from so they can at least try to improve the place in the very littlest of ways.

Californians on City-Data...go to the California forum and see all the "pride" ooze out of the residents. You might even think this place is Somalia by the time you're done reading the threads.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:44 AM

116 posts, read 364,815 times
California is part of Mexico

/thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
New yorkers respect texas pride. Texas is so proud that they think they should be their own country. Thats the type of pride u should have in your state
The only Texans who have that type of pride is old white people.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Two thirds the population of Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ Thats one of the reasons why Miami always gets smashed on this site because the only people to back it up is me and Polo89 (coincidence). And every once an awhile a Miami poster stops by but they mostly just stick to their own forum, I don't blame them.
are from someplace else. At least where I live, you see vanity places with the names of other city/states, bumper stickers about other states, tshirts with sport teams from other states, etc. Apparently, all these transplants don't give up their identification with their hometown state.

There there is the retiree factor. When they have lived their lives in a different state for 50, 60, 70 years, they aren't going to become "Floridians" just by changing their state.

When we lived in our condo, there was a man they called BOSTON Bob. He was in his early 80s, snowbird for many years, and moved permanently to Florida when he was 65. Why did people still call him BOSTON Bob? He had lived in Florida for decades. Made no difference at all because all he did was talk about Boston where he was originally from.

The majoirty of transplants to Florida don't give up their identification with the state they came from. There might be some on CD, but I don't think they are the majority.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Pride is not the same thing as arrogant.....other states don't seem to be as flashy about it....but everyone has some pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City