Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Well yes, I say it like it is. And I dont live in Texas, I live in New York, I just said I am interested in doing business in Texas sometime in the future. That does not constitute to me living in Texas hello.
Another thing, I have been reading posts here for a long time too, why is it that Georgians get so defensive over the smallest things? Texas was the better state to Minnesota, so I said it I also said why I thought so. Minnesota given the economic conditions we have at hand is a better state than Georgia in the sense I only care for the economy.
Thank you for telling me about the tolerance, I was not aware Georgia was a tolerant state given its past and my limited exposure to the rural areas of a red state in the south.
I am not here to debate with you, I gave my opinion and I will be moving along now. Have a charming day.
Because people make bad Inform posts that’s why like your tolerance comment dude 4 of 5 of metro Atlanta core populated counties are minority majority. Georgia has the highest percentage of black own business. Mean while Minnesota doesn't really have minorities. Also Atlanta is ranked 3rd in the percentage of gays. So how does someone from Georgia suppose to react to comments like that? "Georgians get so defensive over the smallest things?" better question why do some posters boast incorrect information or something they don't know about? Then don’t suspect someone to correct them?

Quote:
Minneapolis is a very fresh city, despite its growth being smaller than Atlanta its economy can be the envy for Georgia.
Yes Georgia envy that even though ATL GDP is larger than the whole state Minnesota let alone Minneapolis, )
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Because people make bad Inform posts that’s why like your tolerance comment dude 4 of 5 of metro Atlanta core populated counties are minority majority. Georgia has the highest percentage of black own business. Mean while Minnesota doesn't really have minorities. Also Atlanta is ranked 3rd in the percentage of gays. So how does someone from Georgia suppose to react to comments like that? "Georgians get so defensive over the smallest things?" better question why do some posters boast incorrect information or something they don't know about? Then don’t suspect someone to correct them?

Yes Georgia envy that even though ATL GDP is larger than the whole state Minnesota let alone Minneapolis, )
Here's a classic tale of the pot calling the kettle black....if you are going to make a point about incorrect information, you shouldn't start by stating minnesota doesn't really have minorities. It's no Georgia (and we didn't purchase slaves 300 years ago), but it's still 15%-20% non-white (guesstimate for 2010) and the Twin Cities are closer to 20%-25% non-white (again, guesstimate), so that is close to 1 million people.

ATL GDP per capita is likely less than MSP GDP per capita -- a better comparison of GDP between two unlike cities or states.

I'm not trying to defend Ghost of Blasphamy, as he just wrote similarly snide comments about Minnesota in the MN vs. TX thread, but I'm not sure who's worse at making objective opinions and keeping peace on the theads.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Well yes, I say it like it is. And I dont live in Texas, I live in New York, I just said I am interested in doing business in Texas sometime in the future. That does not constitute to me living in Texas hello.
Another thing, I have been reading posts here for a long time too, why is it that Georgians get so defensive over the smallest things? Texas was the better state to Minnesota, so I said it I also said why I thought so. Minnesota given the economic conditions we have at hand is a better state than Georgia in the sense I only care for the economy.
Thank you for telling me about the tolerance, I was not aware Georgia was a tolerant state given its past and my limited exposure to the rural areas of a red state in the south.
I am not here to debate with you, I gave my opinion and I will be moving along now. Have a charming day.
When I said Hope you're happy in Texas what I meant is I hope you will be happy there.

Glad to enlighten you about our State. There are little rural small towns in Georgia (Some of them majority black or hispanic) like the one that I'm from that have black mayors, police chiefs, etc.. ,as well as heavy Hispanic influence. You won't see much of or any of that in in rural communities in Minnesota or even New York for that matter). I'm very comfortable in rural Georgia. I know about our past but I also know there were race riots in NYC during the Civil War in which blacks were hung from light post but I don't hold that or events like Bensonhurst and Howard Beach against your home state.

Yes Georgia is a Red State but all it's largest cities except Columbus voted Democrat.

I'm sure Georgia will keep right on booming like it has for the past 30 years despite your lack of confidence in it's economy. I also will be moving on now. Hope you good fortune in your endeavors.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-15-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
If Georgia wasn't a southern state it would be winning this thread. Classic CD bias.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM

What are you whining about, you live in Texas!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Every time someone mentions something positive about Minnesota, you go about saying how we are wrong and Georgia is superior. I ask, how is that not 'boasting?' It seems to me that you are indeed the one that gets defensive about the smallest things.

Take others opinions as just that, opinions. If someone prefers Minnesota over Georgia, just deal with it. There are just as many people who dislike Minnesota for the same stereotypical reasons.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
I've never partied in the Twin Cities but I was checking out nightclubs, bars, nightlife in general there on the Web for the last two days and it seems that just like with musical talent, Atlanta has a way more vibrant, dynamic, exciting and varied night life.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I've never partied in the Twin Cities but I was checking out nightclubs, bars, nightlife in general there on the Web for the last two days and it seems that just like with musical talent, Atlanta has a way more vibrant, dynamic, exciting and varied night life.
I wouldn't know about nightlife personally, but my friends who have been to ATL say it isn't anything substantially better than what we have here in downtown MPLS. That isn't to say ATL isn't better, but MPLS is actually pretty sweet. Crowds in the 10's of thousands nightly on 1st Ave and Hennipen, probably close to 100 bars and clubs of all varieties. Can get a little wild around closing time (2:00 or later) so don't be surprised if you see lots of fights, which sometimes get out of control.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
If Georgia wasn't a southern state it would be winning this thread. Classic CD bias.
And if Minnesota was in the South Pacific it would be the surfing capital of the world. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It depends on where. Only Downtown Minneapolis, Dinkytown, and Uptown have a large, bar/nightclub scene. There are of course a few more places scattered around, but not nearly as much as Atlanta. Still, there are a handful of very influential establishments in the Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City