Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I will pick the world's largest: aquarium, airport, airline, beverage company, home improvement retailer, parcel delivery service, cable news and entertainment company, granite monolith and cable-stayed stadium*

over the world's largest: shopping mall**

... every day of the week!!!

* Georgia Aquarium, Hartsfied-Jackson, Delta, Coca-Cola, Home Depot, UPS, Turner Broadcasting, Stone Mountain, Georgia Dome

** Mall of America

MOA is not technically the worlds largest.

Worlds largest amateur sports facility... National Sports Center
Worlds largest fresh water sandbar... Park Point, Duluth
Worlds largest privately held company... Cargil
Worlds largest dinner theater... Chanhassen
Worlds largest electronics retailer... Best Buy
Worlds largest medical technology company... Medtronic
Minneapolis grain exchange... the only one of its kind
Worlds largest unsupported marble dome... MN State Capitol

I'm confused on why we are now comparing big things. And remember like I said much earlier; biggest isn't always best. The Georgia Aquarium is nowhere near the nicest in the country, same goes for the airport. I'd personally like to have a nice airport (one of the top-ranked in the country), and nice museums and parks over a media conglomerate and a dome... wait, we have a big dome, too (worlds largest teflon roofed building). And it is the only stadium to have hosted an MLB All-Star game, Superbowl, Final Four, and a World Series.

Last edited by emcee squared; 09-16-2010 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
MOA is not technically the worlds largest.

Worlds largest amateur sports facility... National Sports Center
Worlds largest fresh water sandbar... Park Point, Duluth
Worlds largest privately held company... Cargil
Worlds largest dinner theater... Chanhassen
Worlds largest electronics store/company... Best Buy
Worlds largest medical technology company... Medtronic
Minneapolis grain exchange... the only one of its kind

I'm confused on why we are now comparing big things. And remember like I said much earlier; biggest isn't always best. The Georgia Aquarium is nowhere near the nicest in the country, same goes for the airport. I'd personally like to have a nice airport (one of the top-ranked in the country), and nice museums and parks over a media conglomerate and a dome... wait, we have a big dome, too.
See, the difference is except for BEST BUY I've never even HEARD of a single one of those "big" things you mentioned (a sand bar?! Really?! REALLY?!)

You've not only HEARD of everyone of those things I've mentioned, but they've probably impacted your life in some way.

And where do you get off saying the Georgia Aquarium is "nowhere near the nicest in the country" ??! Have you been there? A lot of people in the zoological profession would beg to differ with you ... And the fact that Atlanta's airport is the biggest and busiest in the world, and manages to move 90 million people with relative easy every year says a lot about what kind of airport facility it is -- BEST IN THE WORLD. Period.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
See, the difference is except for BEST BUY I've never even HEARD of a single one of those "big" things you mentioned (a sand bar?! Really?! REALLY?!)

You've not only HEARD of everyone of those things I've mentioned, but they've probably impacted your life in some way.

And where do you get off saying the Georgia Aquarium is "nowhere near the nicest in the country" ??! Have you been there? A lot of people in the zoological profession would beg to differ with you ... And the fact that Atlanta's airport is the biggest and busiest in the world, and manages to move 90 million people with relative easy every year says a lot about what kind of airport facility it is -- BEST IN THE WORLD. Period.
Exactly my point.

A big rock is better than a sandbar? I'm just naming the same crap you did.

You must really be living under a rock (pun intended) to never have heard of Cargil or Medtronic.

Cargil: Cargill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Cargill, Incorporated is a privately held, multinational corporation, based in suburban Minneapolis, Minnesota in the United States. Founded in 1865, it is now the nation's largest privately held corporation (in terms of revenue).[1] If publicly held, it would rank in the top 10 companies in the Fortune 500.
Medronic:Medtronic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
is the world's largest medical technology company and is a Fortune 500 company.
Anyway, to answer your question. YES, I have been to the aquarium. It is an overpriced, commercialized hellhole. $30 per person could have easily been spent on something else; like all those beggars on the street. The only aim of the aquarium is taking your money, and you know it. Go to a nice aquarium like Monterey Bay or the National Aquarium in Baltimore and see the light.

And the airport... Because its overcrowded means its the best in the world? The airport is average, at best. It is constantly ranked in the lower half of satisfaction studies, has nothing to do, and squeezes the life out of you with cramped terminals.

Face it, the only thing that makes me jealous is Coca-Cola because I don't like Pepsi as much. You can keep your big rock and its KKK affiliation.

Last edited by emcee squared; 09-17-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
For Universities, read the list and compare:

Top 200 - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2010-2011

Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Some of you Atlantans KNOW our biggest companies, and even use their products whether you know it or not:

Company/Fortune 500 Rank/city/Revenue
1UnitedHealth Group21Minnetonka87,138.02
Target30Minneapolis65,357.03
Best Buy45Richfield45,015.04
Supervalu47Eden Prairie44,564.05
CHS91Inver Grove Heights25,729.96
3M106St. Paul23,123.07
U.S. Bancorp121Minneapolis19,490.08
General Mills155Minneapolis14,691.39
Medtronic160Minneapolis14,599.010
Land O'Lakes226Arden Hills10,408.511
Mosaic231Plymouth10,298.012
Xcel Energy244Minneapolis9,644.313
Ameriprise Financial288Minneapolis7,946.014
C.H. Robinson Worldwide301Eden Prairie7,577.215
Hormel Foods340Austin6,533.716
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans342Minneapolis6,514.817
Ecolab365St. Paul5,900.618
Nash-Finch400Minneapolis5,212.719
St. Jude Medical445St. Paul4,681.320
Alliant Techsystems454Minneapolis4,583.221
PepsiAmericas464Minneapolis4,421.3

And Private Companies that Could make the Fortune 500 List:
Cargill - $106B
Carlson Companies - $4.33B
Schwann Foods - $3.53B

So although they aren't tourist attractions, they are HUGE.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point.

A big rock is better than a sandbar? I'm just naming the same crap you did.

You must really be living under a rock (pun intended) to never have heard of Cargil or Medtronic.

Cargil: Cargill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Medronic:Medtronic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, to answer your question. YES, I have been to the aquarium. It is an overpriced, commercialized hellhole. $30 per person could have easily been spent on something else; like all those beggars on the street. The only aim of the aquarium is taking your money, and you know it. Go to a nice aquarium like Monterey Bay or the National Aquarium in Baltimore and see the light.

And the airport... Because its overcrowded means its the best in the world? The airport is average, at best. It is constantly ranked in the lower half of satisfaction studies, has nothing to do, and squeezes the life out of you with cramped terminals.

Face it, the only thing that makes me jealous is Coca-Cola because I don't like Pepsi as much. You can keep your big rock and its KKK affiliation.

Or, to put it nicer, you can keep your big rock (very cool, btw) and we'll keep our Chain of Lakes in the city....both popular and attractive attractions.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
The Georgia Aquarium is nowhere near the nicest in the country
Oh really? I don't think any aquarium in the States can top this...

Georgia Aquarium Glass Tunnel | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikejsolutions/65896355/ - broken link)

Georgia Aquarium 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/noisysky/119886936/ - broken link)

Georgia Aquarium | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmsetzler/4412724304/ - broken link)

More can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=georgia+aquarium&m=text

Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 AM

^The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, IL. Sorry, but it's absolutely awesome! Plus the Mall of America has a decent little aquarium that looks a LOT llike one of those pics. Not as nice I'm sure, but not bad for a MALL either.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, IL. Sorry, but it's absolutely awesome! Plus the Mall of America has a decent little aquarium that looks a LOT llike one of those pics. Not as nice I'm sure, but not bad for a MALL either.
Well, that might be a bit of a personal preference, but a lot of lists agree that the GA Aquarium is > than Shedd

http://www.boncherry.com/blog/2009/03/30/top-5-aquariums-in-the-united-states/

1. GA Aquarium
2. Monterrey Bay
3. Oregon Coast Aquarium
4. Shedd Aquarium
5. Florida Aquarium

Now determining what is "best" is subjective, but there is no debate about the fact that the GA Aquarium is the largest on the planet. That's definitely a bonus for Georgia:

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/aquarium-sets-guinness-record-597545.html

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Good reference! Well it's also kind of like saying that the Excel Areana for the Minnesota Wild or Target Field for the Minnesota Twins are the tops stadiums in the country. While I may believe it's true today, because they are the new hot thing I think both of ours will slip down a little once the hype fades.....but I could be completely wrong as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City