Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Feel free to visit the Seattle sub forum to see how bad it's gotten lately with threads meant to do nothing but instigate anger.
Fair enough. I think it's a good counterbalance to the regular Portland/Seattle worship on this board though.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Fair enough. I think it's a good counterbalance to the regular Portland/Seattle worship on this board though.
True. Not hatin on Seattle but there's an army of people on City Data, most of them not from Seattle and a lot of them never even been to Seattle, that will come out like pit bulls ripping at any city that dares compare itself to Seattle. LOL

Old 09-06-2014, 12:56 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Sounds like COL might be the deciding factor for you. Whatever your salary becomes, it will go much, much further in ATL than SEA.

At your age, I think you can find happiness in either place. Atlanta is an amazing city, especially if you open your mind and let yourself fall in love with it. Seattle, IMO, is so over-hyped at this point, anything less than OMG WOW BEST PLACE EVER! is a letdown. Every city on the face of the planet has it's down-side, but you never seem to hear about that from Seattle. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just approach each with a grounded attitude and see which fits you best.

I will say, from personal experience, that the climate in the SE suits me far more than the climate in the NW ... and that's not something to take lightly. However, coming from Phoenix, either place is going to be a big change from what you're used to, so it might not matter.

And yes, the couple of months of summer heat and humidity in Atlanta are just as over-rated and exaggerated as the so-called year-round drizzle and gray of Seattle.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-06-2014 at 01:08 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 03:10 AM

528 posts, read 866,654 times
Seattle seems only 2nd to Tampa Bay when it comes to marine life and water being a big part of the culture. Its huge in Seattle no question but I would take Atlanta at the end of the day for obvious reasons.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
As I said on another thread, I don't get the point of living next to water that is too cold to enjoy. Yes, Seattle is beautiful but in almost every picture people are bundled up and in their boats. I guess that is the difference between the East and West.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
I have lived in both cities. For what you're looking for, Seattle is a better fit. Seattle has a much more urban feel. It also has plenty of natural beauty .. even more so than Atlanta. You *can* live without a car in Atlanta, but it would be very difficult. It's quite doable in Seattle. In fact, I didn't own a car when I lived there in the 90s. I used their bus system and my bike. The public transportation has gotten much better over the past two decades, and it was good back then.

The only area that Atlanta far exceeds Seattle is COL. If you ever want to own a home, Atlanta might be the place for you. Atlanta is a well developed large city that is only getting bigger and better, but the housing costs are still very affordable -- not the case in Seattle. Unless you're quite wealthy, you'll probably end up in the far flung burbs of Seattle if you ever want to own property. In Atlanta, you can still find plenty of affordable places in the most desirable urban areas.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:56 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
I have lived in both cities and know them well.
Seattle is cleaner, smarter, safer and far better looking.

Atlanta GA vs Seattle WA - Places Comparison
Agreed. I love Atlanta -- truly do, but as someone who has also lived in both places, Atlanta just can't compete with Seattle in pretty much any category except COL (and possibly weather... but the Atlanta summers aren't for the faint of heart and the Seattle winters are fairly mild, so that's a wash imo).

Old 09-06-2014, 03:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
As I said on another thread, I don't get the point of living next to water that is too cold to enjoy. Yes, Seattle is beautiful but in almost every picture people are bundled up and in their boats. I guess that is the difference between the East and West.
This is silly. Whatever pictures you've seen, people in fact enjoy the water in Seattle. Swimming, boating, walking along the beach, whale watching, dining on the water, it's all done in Seattle. All this talk about people not enjoying the water is just ridiculous. The water is part of the enjoyment of living there.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
One thing about those pictures though is they always show Seattle during sunny gorgeous weather. An average day in Seattle is not going to look like that. In fact, you're probably about 5 times as likely to see sunny weather like that in Atlanta. Even though Atlanta receives a lot of rain it falls in a totally different way. We've been getting a lot of rain lately but it doesn't even interfere with most of your day or night. The clouds and rains rain typically don't roll in until after 5:00pm dump water and is over with and gone before night fall.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-06-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 PM

555 posts, read 802,936 times
Galounger:
The City of Seattle and the Seattle Media go out of their way to the most positive spin for outsiders. For example, check out this one of Pioneer Square:

http://dguides.com/images/seattle/ar...eer-square.jpg

Compared to what it actually looks like on a regular basis:

http://northwestdharma.org/wp-conten...AL-PHOTO-1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City