Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Again, not a new concept in Houston. Its happening in cities all over the country.

Guess you have not seen Houston's historic 3rd Ward in the past 6 years have you? It bears little resemblance to what it looked like back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, & 90's.

Third Ward, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah the Third Ward is definitely next on Houston's neighborhood renovation list. I can see that turning into a thriving college neighborhood considering its located smack in the middle of Rice, UofH, TSU, and St Thomas. If it wasn't for the crime, that probably would have happened already. Although, the downside to that is that would be that it might squeeze out the historic African American community in that area. Hopefully, there's enough middle class black families living in the Third Ward to where that wont happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
^^^Yeah, I know which one in Houston your talking about. They have a Cajun restaurant (which is partly my ethnicity) right next to a Kim Son. Although, I've the Cajun food isn't very authentic. Kim Son is though. Honestly, Sugarland is very diverse for a suburb, especially so far outside of the city center. Is it just me, or does that seem very unusual?
Sugar Land really is. I love living there, because people of all kind, every kind of food imaginable, is all right there and easily accessible. One of the things that led up to that is that Sugar Land did a good job attracting White Collar jobs, and more of a creative employment base in the Houston area, which led to immigrants from all over settling there.

Here is something to go along with this thread and Sugar Land, which is the county seat for Fort Bend County.

20 Most Diverse Counties in the US:
01 Queens, NY
02 Alameda, CA (Oakland)
03 Kings, NY (Brooklyn)
04 Robeson, NC
05 Fort Bend, TX (Suburban Houston, the county seat is Sugar Land)
06 Hudson, NJ
07 New York, NY (Manhattan)
08 Harris, TX (Houston is the county seat)
09 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ(Newark)
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA

Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
^

So where does Orange County, Cali. rank?

I've often heard Fort Bend County referred to as Texas' version of Orange County.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Fort Bend County (Sugar Land) is to Texas what Orange County is to Southern California.

Asians from Cali always say that because its so true.
I have never heard one say that. Most Asians from Orange county that move to Houston end up in Harris country because thats where the Vietnamese tend to settle.

Orange County is diverse as far as Asians and Mexicans go, but there is no black community there at all.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I have never heard one say that. Most Asians from Orange county that move to Houston end up in Harris country because thats where the Vietnamese tend to settle.
BZZZ...WRONG

Vietnamese, Chinese, Filipino, & Indian/Pakistani alike flock to Sugar Land. Its been that way for 10 years or more.

I forgive you though for being so new to Texas.

Midtown (Little Saigon), Scarsdale (Southeastern Houston), & Alief (Southwestern Harris County) used to be Vietnamese areas. You can still find pockets of upper lower class-lower middle class in those areas. The wealthier Vietnamese from Cali move to Sugar Land & now most recently Pearland & Cypress.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-20-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM

^^^They flock to the west side around Bellaire and Chinatown as well.

Honestly, I would say the west part of Houston from Beltway to Uptown is more diverse than anywhere in the Houston area, including Sugar Land.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
^^^They flock to the west side around Bellaire and Chinatown as well.
That's more Southwest. Westside would be like Westheimer on North to I-10.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
That's more Southwest. Westside would be like Westheimer on North to I-10.
Yeah, I was talking about that area as well. I have a friend that lives out there, and to me, it's way more diverse than Sugar Land.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Again, not a new concept in Houston. Its happening in cities all over the country.

Guess you have not seen Houston's historic 3rd Ward in the past 6 years have you? It bears little resemblance to what it looked like back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, & 90's.

Third Ward, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Houston never had many public housing projects. The type of thing you are referring to is different than what Johnatl was referring to. Atlanta did to same to similar neighborhoods in the city back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s and replaced them with massive public housing projects (one such example can be found here). Starting in the 90s, the City of Atlanta started tearing down the public housing projects and replaced them with mixed use developments. In June, Atlanta was the first city in America to demolish all of it's public housing units.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Another underrated suburb for diversity is Missouri City (even though it's pretty much right next to Sugar Land). I love Sienna Plantation because of how diverse and close-knit the neighborhoods are. My friend's uncle live out there and every time we go out there; they got something going on. Whether it's a block party, neighborhood BBQ, or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City