Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes because the villages of Houston or The Woodlands is so different from the K-Town area.

You both are now just being homers; I love Houston just as much as you guys, but K-Town is no different than anything you find in the suburbs of Houston. It blends in with the rest of north Houston. Heavily forested and suburban.
I am not bing a homer, I just think you have been tricked into believing that suburban is the opposite of urban by notorious NE boosters, but it is not.

look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Houston has a city bus system that serves the city well, very well I might add so I don't know what all of the fuss is about us not being anymore urban than a city like New York or Atlanta, which also has mega freeways & strip malls.

Those old diesel buses are being traded in for hybrids as we speak. Houston is putting out significant effort in improving its air quality & has achieved record numbers in overall smog free days over the past few years.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has a city bus system that serves the city well, very well I might add so I don't know what all of the fuss is about us not being anymore urban than a city like New York or Atlanta, which also has mega freeways & strip malls.

Those old diesel buses are being traded in for hybrids as we speak. Houston is putting out significant effort in improving its air quality & has achieved record numbers in overall smog free days over the past few years.
urban =/= dense so anyone who says Houston is not urban is bastardizing the meaning of the word

Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Compareing Houston's Korean areas to Atlantas is stupid. Atlantas are more extensive and go far above and beyond anything Houston has to offer the Korean community. Same for Dallas. Its reflected in the population. Atlanta's Korean community is 1/3 larger than Dallas' which is twice the size of Houston's.

Houston is more diverse. No arguement there. But lets give credit where credit is due. Atlanta is the Korean hotspot of the south and Atlanta offers more to Koreans than anywhere else in the South. Hell, Georgia has attracted more Koreans than the state of Texas year after year.

Now the real test is of some of you Houston homers will man up and admit that or continue to make irrelevant arguments.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Nothing new here. Houston's Asian roots are a lot deeper than Atlanta's.

We have an old Chinatown & Little Saigon near downtown as well as a New Chinatown & K-town a little further out.

Houston has way more ethnic enclaves than ATL.
He was talking about Korean enclaves, not Chinese or Vietnamese ones. There is a difference.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Compareing Houston's Korean areas to Atlantas is stupid. Atlantas are more extensive and go far above and beyond anything Houston has to offer the Korean community. Same for Dallas. Its reflected in the population. Atlanta's Korean community is 1/3 larger than Dallas' which is twice the size of Houston's.
that is not a direct correlation, it is not in every city Korean towns develop. you cannot say that one city has a huge x population so the x town must be big too.

look at Houston's nigerian population, do they have a little Lagos? no.

I don't see how ATL's Korean population have to do with their Korean town

Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that is not a direct correlation, it is not in every city Korean towns develop. you cannot say that one city has a huge x population so the x town must be big too.

look at Houston's nigerian population, do they have a little Lagos? no.

I don't see how ATL's Korean population have to do with their Korean town
It was just another thing to add. I have spent time in Houston's Korea town and Atlanta's Korean areas. No comparrison. Houston's Korean ammenities are behind Dallas' and far behind Atlanta's.

Again credit where credit is due. I know Houston is the most diverse, but we have to give this one to Atlanta.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It was just another thing to add. I have spent time in Houston's Korea town and Atlanta's Korean areas. No comparrison. Houston's Korean ammenities are behind Dallas' and far behind Atlanta's.

Again credit where credit is due. I know Houston is the most diverse, but we have to give this one to Atlanta.
I have never been to ATL's Korea town so I don't know. all I am saying is that the pop has less to do with the size of the korea town than how entrenched the culture is in that city.

You may be totally right, but the one statement about size threw off your post.

you would have gone a lot further by stating you have gone to both and that ATL's is bigger (as you did now).

I having never been would have had to shut up for a change

Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Miami has no Chinatown or Koreantown that I'm aware of.

And Houston has no lil haiti italy or havana.. whats your point? Miami multiculralism is more seen to the eye than in Houston.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
And Houston has no lil haiti italy or havana.. whats your point? Miami multiculralism is more seen to the eye than in Houston.
I doubt that. It is big for latin and is seen as a hot latin town, not a diverse town. you think of miami, you think of latin, not diversity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City