Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 01:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas has been receiving more Indians recently than Houston and Dallas has roughly about 4,000 more Indians. By contrast, Houston has about 10,000 more Pakistanis. When all South Asians are grouped together, Houston has about 1,000 more South Asians than Dallas.

But Dallas has no South Asian ethnic enclaves to speak of.
Dallas has a small Southeastern Asian community, mostly Cambodians in Old East Dallas, but that's about it. The rest is in the surrounding super burbs like Garland, Mesquite, Plano, Richardson, Carrollton, & Irving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas has a small Southeastern Asian community, mostly Cambodians in Old East Dallas, but that's about it.
I was talking about South Asians (Indians, Pakis, etc.). I guess Valley Ranch could be considered an ethnic enclave of sorts for Indians, but I think its just a normal place with a higher than normal percentage of Indian residents.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Dallas has been receiving more Indians recently than Houston and Dallas has roughly about 4,000 more Indians. By contrast, Houston has about 10,000 more Pakistanis. When all South Asians are grouped together, Houston has about 1,000 more South Asians than Dallas.

But Dallas has no South Asian ethnic enclaves to speak of.
My point was that might be because Houston may have been receiving South Asian emigrants for about a generation longer than Dallas which could be why you don't see a Little India in Dallas.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I doubt it. The other cities are just better at hiding their ghettos.
Not really. We've been very busy tearing many of ours down. As a matter of fact, Atlanta is considered the National model for turning public housing projects into viable, mixed-income communities.

Look it up.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not really. We've been very busy tearing many of ours down. As a matter of fact, Atlanta is considered the National model for turning public housing projects into viable, mixed-income communities.

Look it up.
Houston is doing the same. It seems like that's already happened in the First and Second Ward.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Funny thing is that Dallas has a similar sized South Asian community (larger Indian and Bangladeshi, but smaller Pakistani). DFW has no Little India. Houston does. I dont know if thats good or bad.
Both situations are more or less a blessing or a curse. I have noticed that with both Houston & DFW that they have ethnic restaurants all over the place. Like Wel-Farm lot is like a Mini Chinatown for Sugar Land. Same thing with both cities.
I think with the more sporadic locations it does lead to more integration, people are always in constant need of being around others. The smaller the enclave, the more chance you see other backgrounds too because of something neighboring it.
For Houston the larger enclaves does promote certain extent of segregation at times, from my personal experience my Grand Mother would always go to Hillcroft (Mahatma Gandhi District/Little India) to be with her friends there in an "Indian like" atmosphere.
But overall, both DFW & Houston are nicely integrated, I see a lot of interactions between racial groups, from my experience at least I can say that much for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Very true. In addition, I've noticed that the free zoning, it makes it difficult for ethic groups in Houston to stay separated because it forces the city to be in a constant state of change and evolution, even more than most cities I would presume. The free zoning can make the city feel very chaotic, but I think it really has forced people of different ethic groups move into the same neighborhoods, go to the same restaurants, etc. And as a result, has made the cities different ethnic groups VERY integrated with each other.
Yeah for example the picture below has a Strip Mall with an Italian restaurant, a Japanese Restaurant, Chinese Restaurant, & American Restaurant and fast food Subway too I guess. All in one area. This one is in the Los Angeles area, but Houston has one too that I can name straight off the top of my head. The Fountains in Houston, where it borders Sugar Land/Stafford has Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, American, French, & Italian restaurants there. Along with American book stores, and shopping places, and an American Movie Theater. Its located on US-59 right next to Sugar Land.

I'll show the picture for the one in Los Angeles, and then the one in Houston. I know for a fact that DFW has them too, I have personally seen it in Irving where that Mayuri is located. I just don't know the name of the street otherwise I would get the picture for that too. Its inside Las Calinas.

Here is the one I stated earlier in Los Angeles Area with all the food options from different backgrounds:

Here are the Fountains in Houston area with the same concept for restaurants and ethnic food (in the picture it only shows one of the restaurants in the plaza but the others are right next to it, people who have driven past it or been know what I mean):

Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Look it up.
Again, not a new concept in Houston. Its happening in cities all over the country.

Guess you have not seen Houston's historic 3rd Ward in the past 6 years have you? It bears little resemblance to what it looked like back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, & 90's.

Third Ward, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM

^^^Yeah, I know which one in Houston your talking about. They have a Cajun restaurant (which is partly my ethnicity) right next to a Kim Son. Although, I've the Cajun food isn't very authentic. Kim Son is though. Honestly, Sugarland is very diverse for a suburb, especially so far outside of the city center. Is it just me, or does that seem very unusual?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
^^^Yeah, I know which one in Houston your talking about. They have a Cajun restaurant (which is partly my ethnicity) right next to a Kim Son. Although, I've the Cajun food isn't very authentic. Kim Son is though. Honestly, Sugarland is very diverse for a suburb, especially so far outside of the city center. Is it just me, or does that seem very unusual?

Fort Bend County (Sugar Land) is to Texas what Orange County is to Southern California.

Asians from Cali always say that because its so true.

Fort Bend is THE most diverse county in all of Texas.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:

Look it up.
Atlanta and Dallas do much better job in this category than the other two. I was very impressed with the up keep of some of the older neighborhoods in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City