Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Isn't Houston's K town just north of I10, across the highway from the memorial villages?

It is not in the suburbs, it is in the City.

You all bastardize words too often on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Isn't Houston's K town just north of I10, across the highway from the memorial villages?

It is not in the suburbs, it is in the City.

You all bastardize words too often on CD
Quote me where I said it was in the suburbs; I said it was suburban as in it resembles the suburbs.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Suburban by everyone's standards I hope.......

I see nothing urban about these pictures:
Houston’s Koreatown – A Mini Photo Tour | Houston Metblogs
seeing nothing urban about a place doesn't mean it is suburban. that is a flat out ridiculous statement.

and urban doesn't mean manhatten highrise either.

stop making urban and suburban out to mean something they don't

suburban does not mean strip malls, it doesn't mean getting around by car (there were urban areas and suburban areas before cars were popularized)

Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Quote me where I said it was in the suburbs; I said it was suburban as in it resembles the suburbs.
there is no difference.

and what does suburbs look like?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Quote:
Houston's K-Town is still infested with strip malls regardless of its location though (Which is still suburban).
Oh ok.

So now it resembles the suburbs...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh ok.

Yes because the villages of Houston or The Woodlands is so different from the K-Town area.

You both are now just being homers; I love Houston just as much as you guys, but K-Town is no different than anything you find in the suburbs of Houston. It blends in with the rest of north Houston. Heavily forested and suburban.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And if our City Limits were as massive as Houston's, 80% of our enclaves would also be in the City.

Nice way to admit you were wrong about Atlanta.
So just how far outside of your fair urban city is your Korean Town?

Houston's is about 10 miles give or take.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yes because the villages of Houston or The Woodlands is so different from the K-Town area.

You both are now just being homers; I love Houston just as much as you guys, but K-Town is no different than anything you find in the suburbs of Houston. It blends in with the rest of north Houston. Heavily forested and suburban.
Spring Branch area is more dense & diverse than those suburbs you mentioned.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Spring Branch area is more dense & diverse than those suburbs you mentioned.
smh.......how about we just stick to the OT.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Oh ok.

I don't think he can even say it resembles the suburbs if he doesn't know what suburbs look like.

it is almost a universal belief on here that suburban is the opposite of urban. It is not.

so you cannot look at something and say "it does not look urban, so it is suburban. Many people too on CD has been brainwashed by northeasterners into believing a super dense area is urban, and if it is not superdense it is not urban (an as mentioned above they think if it is not urban then it is suburban). Kidphilly and Spade are notorious for making this mistake

Quote:
An urban area is characterized by higher population density and vast human features in comparison to areas surrounding it. Urban areas may be cities, towns or conurbations, but the term is not commonly extended to rural settlements such as villages and hamlets.
Urban areas are created and further developed by the process of urbanization. Measuring the extent of an urban area helps in analyzing population density and urban sprawl, and in determining urban and rural populations (Cubillas 2007).
Unlike an urban area, a metropolitan area includes not only the urban area, but also satellite cities plus intervening rural land that is socio-economically connected to the urban core city, typically by employment ties through commuting, with the urban core city being the primary labor market. In fact, urbanized areas agglomerate and grow as the core population/economic activity center within a larger metropolitan area or envelope.
Quote:
Suburb mostly refers to a residential area. They may be the residential areas of a city, or separate residential communities within commuting distance of a city. Some suburbs have a degree of political autonomy, and most have lower population density than inner city neighborhoods
The suburbs can be superdense (as in the residential areas surrounding manhatten, or sparse as in most areas surrounding many sunbelt cities.

stop confusing yourself people. it is easier if you think of urban as areas driven by commerce and suburban as areas primarily geared to residences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City