Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well there are caviar and #2 super sized taste buds, but more importantly is the wine that accompanies

Un-aged steel barreled wines are becoming more popular, sweet to the tongue but not much body or aroma and lacking in tanin. Mostly they are adopted by the undecerning palate...

I don't like Carviar. Give me a cheesesteak and a large diet Dr P anyday instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
definately, we visit the north all the time, and northerners visit here all the time and love it. CD is just weird tho. You never hear visitors come here and say omg your density is too low or your UA is too large.

I often hear how big the city is or how tall the buildings are, but never any stupid ronsense people go on about on CD

You are so right, sometimes I tend to forget the is a website of a few wierd personalities..

Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
Here is kind of a good way to judge the size of a metro area.

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/

Last edited by brent6969; 09-24-2010 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 09-24-2010, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,297 times
These are useless arbitrary boundaries. The San Francisco Bay Area is a much bigger contiguous urban area than what the MSA represents. San Jose, Oakland, and SF are al very close and connected. To just isloate San Francisco makes no sense.

It actually has nearly 7 million and should be #4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
As of 2000 Census (2008 Estimate in Parens)
[URL="http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPGeoSearchByListServlet?ds_name=ACS_2008_1YR_G00 _&_lang=en&_ts=294999828140"]American FactFinder[/URL]

1. NYC 17.8 Million (18.4)
2. LA 11.8 Million (12.2)
3. Chicago 8.3 Million (8.6)
4. Philadelphia 5.1 Million (5.3)
5. Miami 4.9 Million (5.2)
6. DFW 4.1 Million (4.6)
7. Boston 4.0 Million (4.1)
8. DC 3.9 Million (4.2)
9. Detroit 3.9 Million (3.8)
10. Houston 3.8 Million (4.4)
11. Atlanta 3.5 Million (4.2)
12. SF 3.2 Million (3.3)

What will be the top 10 Cities for urban Area and in what order?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james3442 View Post
These are useless arbitrary boundaries. The San Francisco Bay Area is a much bigger contiguous urban area than what the MSA represents. San Jose, Oakland, and SF are al very close and connected. To just isloate San Francisco makes no sense.

It actually has nearly 7 million and should be #4.
I agree in many ways and on the same vein I can easilly argue the continuos UA in the Philly/NJ/NY is even far more developed and has a population of greater than 23 million all completely continuous. If you consider the cutoff at SJ, the cutoff because of MSA in Philly is actually 22 miles closer to Philly where it cuts the continuously developed area than is SJ to SF; I agree that the stats can be misleading and do not tell the whole story. Also in 2008 adding all continuously attached UA in the SF/Oak/SJ area the number is 4.8 million and not 7.0. This dynamic also takes place in DC and Baltimore continuously populated with more than 6.0 million in the UA.

I also understand the mountains play a role but there are areas with more than 20 miles between UAs in the bay area where you to add all the UAs together

San Francisco--Oakland, CA Urbanized Area

Philadelphia, PA--NJ--DE--MD Urbanized Area

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-24-2010 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 11:55 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
definately, we visit the north all the time, and northerners visit here all the time and love it. CD is just weird tho. You never hear visitors come here and say omg your density is too low or your UA is too large.

I often hear how big the city is or how tall the buildings are, but never any stupid ronsense people go on about on CD

Without a certain level of population density it's impossible for a city to provide a true urban experience. Cities in the developed world with higher population densites are simply more urban than their low-density counterparts.

The world's greatest cities all have high population densities: New York, Paris, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, etc.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Without a certain level of population density it's impossible for a city to provide a true urban experience. Cities in the developed world with higher population densites are simply more urban than their low-density counterparts.

The world's greatest cities all have high population densities: New York, Paris, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, etc.

I don't think that's what he was saying.. Your still can have a great time and enjoy a city without having a high population density. No one is was walking Around saying things like U.A is too large etc.. That stuff goes out the window. Alot of people probably don't even know what a U.A is..

Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

like Mike said that is not what we are saying, have you been keeping up with the thread?

anyway some super dense cities have major problems too. In fact NY, London , Paris etc are nowhere close to the most dense cities in the wold. On the US scale these cities are dense, on a global scale they are middle of the road.

Finances made those cities great, it is the one factor that other dense cities don't have.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
like Mike said that is not what we are saying, have you been keeping up with the thread?
Admittedly, I did not read all 18 pages of this thread. Please forgive me.

Quote:

anyway some super dense cities have major problems too. In fact NY, London , Paris etc are nowhere close to the most dense cities in the wold. On the US scale these cities are dense, on a global scale they are middle of the road.
All cities have problems. Did you read the part where I said DEVELOPED WORLD? Of course there are cities that are more dense in developing or third world countries. That's a different conversation.

Quote:
Finances made those cities great, it is the one factor that other dense cities don't have.
Again, we are talking about cities in the developed world. Cities in Europe, the United States, Japan, etc. It's no coincidence that all these cities with the exception of Hong Kong are in countries with the strongest economies in the world.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, I did not read all 18 pages of this thread. Please forgive me.

All cities have problems. Did you read the part where I said DEVELOPED WORLD? Of course there are cities that are more dense in developing or third world countries. That's a different conversation.

Again, we are talking about cities in the developed world. Cities in Europe, the United States, Japan, etc. It's no coincidence that all these cities with the exception of Hong Kong are in countries with the strongest economies in the world.

I don't think we are on different sides of the argument, but this is not what we have been discussing here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City