Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which WSC City is most influential?
Houston 44 41.12%
Little Rock 5 4.67%
San Antonio 5 4.67%
Tulsa 3 2.80%
Fort Worth 0 0%
New Orleans 10 9.35%
Dallas 37 34.58%
OKC 1 0.93%
Austin 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Also for those of you who think that North Texas is more populated than South Texas because the metroplex is a bigger metro, think again. The I10 corridor is more populated than the I20 corridor. Look at density maps and see how the area is solidifying into an area of over 12 Million withing a 100M radius along the highway.
It looks about even to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
But you are putting to much thought into FRBs. For example SF has and LA does not but does that make LA less important? Miami also does not have
Between LA and SF, which one has better banking infrastructure? Now do you see what I'm saying? Same with Dallas and Houston, which one has better banking infrastructure? Does it make sense now what I'm saying? I'm not placing too high an emphasis on FRB, you among other posters are ignoring that they pose one measure of importance. I'm sure if I was suggested TMC for Houston id have more support. Now am I making sense?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Between LA and SF, which one has better banking infrastructure? Now do you see what I'm saying? Same with Dallas and Houston, which one has better banking infrastructure? Does it make sense now what I'm saying? I'm not placing too high an emphasis on FRB, you among other posters are ignoring that they pose one measure of importance. I'm sure if I was suggested TMC for Houston id have more support. Now am I making sense?
what do you mean banking infrastructure? are you still on the FRB? you know they have branches in Houston and SA right?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
what do you mean banking infrastructure? are you still on the FRB? you know they have branches in Houston and SA right?
What is LA known for? What is SF known for? Check your history and then ask me. Better yet, do a poll and ask what city is the banking capital West of the Mississippi? That's what I mean by banking infrastructure.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
What is LA known for? What is SF known for? Check your history and then ask me. Better yet, do a poll and ask what city is the banking capital West of the Mississippi? That's what I mean by banking infrastructure.
what???? That made SF are known for many many things.

and this is CD doing a poll asking for such a thing would result in anywhere from Boise Idaho to Kansas City.

besides, poll from load the answers anyway.

Still don't know what you mean by banking infrastructure

Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
what???? That made SF are known for many many things.

and this is CD doing a poll asking for such a thing would result in anywhere from Boise Idaho to Kansas City.

besides, poll from load the answers anyway.

Still don't know what you mean by banking infrastructure
Think of Wells-Fargo, Bank of America (during the 90s), etc. All of these are banks that started in SF. SF is known as the banking/financial capital west of the Mississippi. I thought this was common knowledge but perhaps it isn't. Being a capital for this type of industry is going to generate "infrastrucutre" to facilitate this growth. For example policies, human capital, assetts, etc. Think of how Houston is able to be the energy capital and translate this into the financial world. This is why Dallas is more of a financial center than Houston.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
yes but Dallas a superior art venue with superior art scenes. Houston's economy is on the move that's great. Same as Dallas with a more diverse economy.
DFW's Art Scene is pretty brand new and no doubt that it will become far better as time goes by, but Houston's is older and more established. I cant ever spell the name of it correctly but that Rosko Chapel or whatever is meant to be one of the premier art galleries in America, one of the top 8 actually. Houston's museum district is larger and more collective than Dallas's too, and has more variety. And the Music Scene has more variance in Jazz, Rock, etc.. its referred to as a city thats "the crossroads between Austin (Live Music Capital of the World) & New Orleans (Jazz Capital of the world). Dallas has a better Trance scene. I would say overall Music is a tie.

Quote:
Dallas and Houston has advantages over the other. But neither are more influential on the state of Texas than the other. But when you say West South Central, you have to take in account of all states involved and Arkansas and Oklahoma is heavily influenced by Dallas and Dallas is seen as the big city there. Same with Central Texas.
DFW in general is a global economic player. No doubt about it and I would say that in Texas (outside the Gulf Region) it has a large pull there.

Quote:
Dallas is a leader in many industries as well including telecommunications, business, banking, and transportation. They have a couple of the best high schools in the nation and one of them is in the budding Arts district in downtown. There's many more accolades for Dallas but my point is that I disagree with most people in the state look to Houston as the big city. Just as many look to Dallas as well.
Well to be fair, everything you said here is true, but on a national level. DFW does have a global economy and is linked globally to other cities but the leading industries you described are only its regional strengths like see this for example.

DFW has Banking, but Bay Area, New York City, Chicago, & Charlotte (just to name off the top of my head) are better banking hubs.

DFW has Finance, but New York City, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, & Washington DC all outscore it nationally on finance.

DFW has Transportation, but Chicago, Los Angeles, & Atlanta nationally out score it.

My point isn't that DFW doesn't have things its good at, its diverse economically but it doesn't lead above the others nationally in any of those fields.

Telecommunications it very well is tied in leading with Bay Area on that one. And to take it up one step lets make it global. Osaka, Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, Frankfurt, Mumbai, Toronto, & London are all far larger and more prominent telecommunication hubs.

Compare that with the epicenters for these other cities:
Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the world- That is undeniably true.

New York City is the financial capital of the world- That is undeniably true.

Chicago handles more transportation than any other city in the world and by 12% lead over the next city (Shanghai) & the worlds largest Mercantile exchange program- That is undeniably true.

Houston is the Energy Capital- That is undeniably true.

Miami is the gateway to Latin America & the Capital of Latin American Culture- That is undeniably true.

Bay Area is the worlds most innovative spot for Tech- That is undeniably true.

Boston is the Medical Research & Educational capital of the world- That is undeniably true.

Detroit is the worlds epicenter for Automobile transportation- That is undeniably true.

All of those cities listed above have an epicenter that is their flagship and unique to them that no other city in the world can surpass. They may have equals like for Los Angeles it can equal Mumbai in terms of entertainment (movie industry), New York City can equal London in finance, Chicago's sidekick is Shanghai in transportation & for Mercantile exchange is London, Houston's equal is Dubai, Detroit's equal is Osaka, etc...

Like I said though, DFW has a global economy and a diverse one at that too, and it contributes globally in terms of economically, but it doesn't have a global flagship industry when it comes to economic influence like the above mentioned cities do.

Anyways for my response to this thread see the map below:

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Think of Wells-Fargo, Bank of America (during the 90s), etc. All of these are banks that started in SF. SF is known as the banking/financial capital west of the Mississippi. I thought this was common knowledge but perhaps it isn't. Being a capital for this type of industry is going to generate "infrastrucutre" to facilitate this growth. For example policies, human capital, assetts, etc. Think of how Houston is able to be the energy capital and translate this into the financial world. This is why Dallas is more of a financial center than Houston.
There are banks that are Dallas based, won't that be a stronger way to boost Dallas than state which were started in SF? I still don't get why Dallas ha better infrastructure? all you have shown is that SF has a good banking system

Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Danny View Post
DFW's Art Scene is pretty brand new and no doubt that it will become far better as time goes by, but Houston's is older and more established. I cant ever spell the name of it correctly but that Rosko Chapel or whatever is meant to be one of the premier art galleries in America, one of the top 8 actually. Houston's museum district is larger and more collective than Dallas's too, and has more variety. And the Music Scene has more variance in Jazz, Rock, etc.. its referred to as a city thats "the crossroads between Austin (Live Music Capital of the World) & New Orleans (Jazz Capital of the world). Dallas has a better Trance scene. I would say overall Music is a tie.

DFW in general is a global economic player. No doubt about it and I would say that in Texas (outside the Gulf Region) it has a large pull there.

Well to be fair, everything you said here is true, but on a national level. DFW does have a global economy and is linked globally to other cities but the leading industries you described are only its regional strengths like see this for example.

DFW has Banking, but Bay Area, New York City, Chicago, & Charlotte (just to name off the top of my head) are better banking hubs.

DFW has Finance, but New York City, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, & Washington DC all outscore it nationally on finance.

DFW has Transportation, but Chicago, Los Angeles, & Atlanta nationally out score it.

My point isn't that DFW doesn't have things its good at, its diverse economically but it doesn't lead above the others nationally in any of those fields.

Telecommunications it very well is tied in leading with Bay Area on that one. And to take it up one step lets make it global. Osaka, Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, Frankfurt, Mumbai, Toronto, & London are all far larger and more prominent telecommunication hubs.

Compare that with the epicenters for these other cities:
Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the world- That is undeniably true.

New York City is the financial capital of the world- That is undeniably true.

Chicago handles more transportation than any other city in the world and by 12% lead over the next city (Shanghai) & the worlds largest Mercantile exchange program- That is undeniably true.

Houston is the Energy Capital- That is undeniably true.

Miami is the gateway to Latin America & the Capital of Latin American Culture- That is undeniably true.

Bay Area is the worlds most innovative spot for Tech- That is undeniably true.

Boston is the Medical Research & Educational capital of the world- That is undeniably true.

Detroit is the worlds epicenter for Automobile transportation- That is undeniably true.

All of those cities listed above have an epicenter that is their flagship and unique to them that no other city in the world can surpass. They may have equals like for Los Angeles it can equal Mumbai in terms of entertainment (movie industry), New York City can equal London in finance, Chicago's sidekick is Shanghai in transportation & for Mercantile exchange is London, Houston's equal is Dubai, Detroit's equal is Osaka, etc...

Like I said though, DFW has a global economy and a diverse one at that too, and it contributes globally in terms of economically, but it doesn't have a global flagship industry when it comes to economic influence like the above mentioned cities do.

Anyways for my response to this thread see the map below:
Nice analysis once again.

I do think that Dallas seem to overstate their importance in many fields.

No one would say that they are not in an economically strong metropolitan area, but the things they claim to be powerhouses in are not on par with other US cities.

You mentioned Dallas might become superior in the Arts in the Future, but I doubt that. Houston is too far established and is improving just as DFW is improving. Dallas is building Infrastructure, that is true, but so is Houston.

Houston already has a presence in all performing arts areas, Dallas not so much. Do you know that Houston is Building the Largest professional dance company facility in the Country? The Fascility will be about 120K sq feet and add even more seats to Houston's theater District.

The Houston Theater district is ranked top 5 in the Country. Dallas's does not compare.

The Houston Ballet is the 4th largest ballet in the Country. Dallas I think borrows from FW on this one. By far it is not comparable.

The Houston Grand Opera has won these awards:
Emmy Awards
Hitting the High Cs, Marion Kessell and Rick Christie, 1998
Nixon in China, John Adams and Alice Goodman, 1987
Grammy Awards
Nixon in China, John Adams and Alice Goodman, 1987
Porgy and Bess, George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward, 1976
Tony Awards
Grand Prix du Disques

Dallas has won.... nothing.

The Houston Symphony Orchestra is one of the best in the US, Dallas, not so much.

The Dallas Museum of fine art has 100000 square feet of exhibition space and 30K pieces, the MFA-Houston has over 300K of exhibition space and over 60K pieces. In Addition to this Houston has the Rothko Chapel, the Museum of contemporary art, the Menil Collection and a host of other galleries.

The Houston Museum of natural Science ranks second only to the American Museum of Natural History in NY in terms of Attendance of non smithsonian museums.

I could go on forever about the Art Scene in both cities, but it is very clear that Houston is the Art leader of the western south central part of the US

Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Nice analysis once again.

You mentioned Dallas might become superior in the Arts in the Future, but I doubt that. Houston is too far established and is improving just as DFW is improving. Dallas is building Infrastructure, that is true, but so is Houston.
Hahaha no, I knew that my wording would throw people off. What I meant by "it will become far better as time goes by" I meant compared to itself. The older it gets the more established its presence will be and it will improve upon itself.

Haha, I didn't mean it will become better than Houston's. Houston in art, theater, museums, symphony/opera, & certain types of music is to what Dallas is to fashion and shopping in Texas.
Being someone that greatly does enjoy theater, art galleries, and jazz/electonica/techno/House I would say that Houston is the leader in arts, theaters, symphony/opera, & museums in Texas, Dallas isn't bad at it either but its not on Houston's level in these terms.
Just the way Dallas is when it comes to fashion & shopping, Houston's not a slouch at it, but Dallas is just on another level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City