Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Why is Atlanta a stretch? Atlanta was a haven for hippies in the 60's, just like it is for GLBT today..

Little Five Points - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many other areas as well.

Here is an article on an area called "Tight Squeeze" in Midtown. It was the center of the largest hippe community in the South.
Midtown Atlanta - Atlanta GA Walking Tour

Preview: After the Civil War locals called the area around Tenth Street “Tight Squeeze,” a wooded ravine where the lawless hung out. The narrow road made traveling by wagon difficult. Bandits also hid in the wooded ravine and surrounding forests to rob travelers heading north out of the city. The area became, therefore, a “tight squeeze” for riders trying to pass through with their money and their lives. During the latter part of the nineteenth century, wealthy people built homes in the area. By the 1900s those homes gave way to office and retail business as the commercial district expanded; and during the 1950s and 1960s, the area housed the South’s largest hippie district. But in recent years the area has undergone significant change. In 1999 the Midtown Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Special attractions: The Margaret Mitchell House & Museum, Georgia Institute of Technology, Coca-Cola headquarters, the Varsity restaurant, the Fox Theater, old churches, and other historic buildings.
LMAO! Hipsters =/= Hippies. I think you basically just proved that Atlanta is not the one one of the most hipsters of cities.

At any rate, Brooklyn and Silver Lake (in Los Angeles) would probably be in the two biggest hipster meccas in the country, fallowed by Seattle, Austin, Chicago, and the Bay Area, in no particular order. Atlanta/Athens is big for that scene, but I really wouldn't put it in them on the same level as the cities previously mentioned. It's probably the center of the hipster scene for the Southeast though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
I would say from what I've heard....

Los Angeles
NYC
Athens, GA
Seattle
Austin
Chicago
San Francisco
Portland

Those are about the only one's I'm familiar with.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM

115 posts, read 149,330 times
NYC = Hipster Mecca

Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Hipsters have bad taste in music. I found out firsthand at a bar in Chicago.
What kind of music was it?

Is this bad taste?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArQCkbP07Ao

Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
NYC = Hipster Mecca
That sounds about right. After all hipsters are about what is "in" and NY is always "in".

Old 10-24-2010, 10:45 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
Quote:

hipsters have a bad taste in life altogether.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 PM

172 posts, read 485,791 times
Quote:
What did they play? Whats your idea of "good taste in music" ?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
What did they play? Whats your idea of "good taste in music" ?
probably something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwwWlCJDKbk

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozn1diUCJpE

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHOWCS6qrEw

thought this was funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuyuMXCk0Es

Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 PM

Seriously though...... from the first clip.... the dude wearing the t-shirt, "**** y'all I'm from texas" dancing like a doofus............................................ ...... not so hip.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I guess I'm a hipster..... I own everything from Yo La Tengo and Sonic Youth........................ and some Wilco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City