Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM

937 posts, read 926,951 times

Advertisements

Savannah, Georgia
One word: SCAD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Easiest way is to figure out where the most Pabst Blue Ribbon is sold and you will find your hipster mecca.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike peterson View Post
easiest way is to figure out where the most pabst blue ribbon is sold and you will find your hipster mecca.

lol!!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,011 times
What the F is a "hipster"?? Does someone want to define this term? I know I'm not that far out of the loop because I graduated college less than 6 years ago and didn't hear one person use it then. The image I get is the lame intentionally messy look hair, pre-planned 5 O'clock shaddow with the flashy button up shirt. The type of clown that wears sunglasses on a foggy days. I have seen a lot of these types in Portland and Seattle the times I've been.

Is it basically someone that tries too hard to look/be cool with no real career aspirations? Or is everyone just throwing this word around with no idea of what it means. Someone posted a video of people dancing at a club. That's a pretty liberal definition. They just looked like normal 20 somethings dancing to me. If those are "hipsters" you might as well classify anyone between the age of 20-30 as a hipster.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
What the F is a "hipster"?? Does someone want to define this term? I know I'm not that far out of the loop because I graduated college less than 6 years ago and didn't hear one person use it then. The image I get is the lame intentionally messy look hair, pre-planned 5 O'clock shaddow with the flashy button up shirt. The type of clown that wears sunglasses on a foggy days. I have seen a lot of these types in Portland and Seattle the times I've been.

Is it basically someone that tries too hard to look/be cool with no real career aspirations? Or is everyone just throwing this word around with no idea of what it means. Someone posted a video of people dancing at a club. That's a pretty liberal definition. They just looked like normal 20 somethings dancing to me. If those are "hipsters" you might as well classify anyone between the age of 20-30 as a hipster.
There are the pretentious hipsters which you have described. But then there's the real definition of hipster which doesn't mean anything what it's actually used for today. I think the term hipster originated from like the Beat Generation, from guys like Jack Keroak or could even be traced to the jazz artists of the 40s or so.

Today, the term hipster is just another form of counter-culture. Some are pretentious but in all there's nothing wrong with being "hip". Being hipster is being from the "middle class" against all forms of main-stream propaganda. I think the biggest reason why hipsters can get a bad rep is because many of them come from rich and wealthy homes and pretend to be "poor". It's annoying and stupid.

It gets really annoying when they adapt trends just to fit in crowds.... like fedora hats, scarfs on relatively warm days, or fixies. I mean there's people that will go out of their way just to fit in.... that's when it gets stupid.

I mean, I own a scarf, I ride bikes but it's nothing stupid like that.... I'm actually poor and I can't afford a car.... actually I do have a car but it keeps overheating on me. So I ride bikes.... oh how pretentious of me!

There are some exceptions of course.... Andy Warhol was raised a rich kid.... but that don't mean he ain't cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaf6zF-FJBk

Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
There are the pretentious hipsters which you have described. But then there's the real definition of hipster which doesn't mean anything what it's actually used for today. I think the term hipster originated from like the Beat Generation, from guys like Jack Keroak or could even be traced to the jazz artists of the 40s or so.

Today, the term hipster is just another form of counter-culture. Some are pretentious but in all there's nothing wrong with being "hip". Being hipster is being from the "middle class" against all forms of main-stream propaganda. I think the biggest reason why hipsters can get a bad rep is because many of them come from rich and wealthy homes and pretend to be "poor". It's annoying and stupid.

It gets really annoying when they adapt trends just to fit in crowds.... like fedora hats, scarfs on relatively warm days, or fixies. I mean there's people that will go out of their way just to fit in.... that's when it gets stupid.

I mean, I own a scarf, I ride bikes but it's nothing stupid like that.... I'm actually poor and I can't afford a car.... actually I do have a car but it keeps overheating on me. So I ride bikes.... oh how pretentious of me!

There are some exceptions of course.... Andy Warhol was raised a rich kid.... but that don't mean he ain't cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaf6zF-FJBk

shut up hipster.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAO4EVMlpwM

lol read the comments, one says:

Q-- How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A-- It's an obscure, esoteric number; you've probably never heard of it.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
There is a very fine line between hipster and D-bag.

Unlike the beats, hippie and punks, hipsters have not contributed much to the arts, music and culture.

(yourscenesucks.com - you are just like everybody else)

Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Unlike the beats, hippie and punks, hipsters have not contributed much to the arts, music and culture.

(yourscenesucks.com - you are just like everybody else)
Agreed. From what I've seen, hipsters take a type of music or scene, and water it down with bland, untalented music. They are helping ruin punk, indie rock and techno...... Mashing together a bunch of fashion styles and music genres isn't groundbreaking. Talent is still needed.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Seriously though...... from the first clip.... the dude wearing the t-shirt, "**** y'all I'm from texas"
LOL, if I were from Texas I would wear that shirt! Although I think it would be funnier if some big redneck was sporting it instead of a hipster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

This is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City