Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,452 times

Advertisements

It's 2011. The word "Hipster" (as used in the 2000s) doesn't mean anything anymore. Not that the term ever really "meant" anything, but at least in the aughts you could single some people out as being hipsters and others as "normal."

Everyone who lives in a major city and is below 40 cares about being hip and fashionable and unique and up-to-date with culture. If you can call everyone a hipster, the word has lost its meaning.

Sorry, it's the truth. If you don't understand that, you're obviously not very hip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 AM

562 posts, read 988,841 times
I'm by no means a hipster but I have some hipster friends and they are pretty ok. I'd hate to be in like, an entire building filled with them but I can handle it just fine in small doses. They are usually more easy going than say...prim and proper conservative homeschooled kids that I know but its all just generalizations really.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I love this synopsis. Very interesting and informative. Different generations have different countercultures. And each of them being ironic. But what makes Hipsters better than the others is, they purposely try to be ironic. Our generation loves our ironic tees. But honestly, I think every youth/young adult counterculture post-Baby Boomer era(so basically Xers and Yers) are very similar. "We're anti-conformist!!!" Naaaah!! In the end, we all get labeled.
I drew up a "Seattle Hipster Bingo" when I lived there. One of the various things was "Obviously Repro Ironic Vintage Tee" and the illustration was of a skinny guy with greasy hair, smoking, wearing a shirt that said "WORLD'S BEST GRANDMA 1979."

The thing I'll give the 00's scenester crowd (again, black feathered hair/black skinny jeans/polka dots and pink affectations for gals, again: kind of a spooky-glam thing) was that they didn't have any illusions about being any more or less consumerist than anyone else. I got called a "capitalist" by a "grunge" hipster a few months back on account of the suit I wear for work. Yeah, because pre-distressed 501's, shirts from American Apparel, and vintage plaids from trendy "thrift" stores in the Mission are cheap.

I also take fault at the current crop of hipsters when it comes to Converse All-Stars:

1) They are not called "Chucks." They are "Cons" or "All-Stars." No one called them "Chucks" before 2005.
2) They come in black, red, white, blue, green, gray, pink, or possibly orange - they do not come in leather, they do not come in special editions made by "indie" artists, they do not come in weird designs that are supposed to look like you're wearing a Con, over a Con.
2b) Indie artists do not design special edition shoes for major shoe companies.
3) Grunge kids purchased them in the 90's because they were cheap and they lasted forever - which is ideal when you're flat broke. They were also made in the USA back then, and actually lasted for some time. I still have a pair of (red) US made Cons I picked up in '03 that are wearable (and people are always like, "DUDE! Those are some sweet Chucks!"). I have another pair of black ones I got a year ago made in China, the soles are already unglued and they're falling to pieces even though I wear them half as much as the OG ones. I paid $15 for the US-made at Ross, I paid $40 for the Chinese-made.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 02-28-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
It's 2011. The word "Hipster" (as used in the 2000s) doesn't mean anything anymore. Not that the term ever really "meant" anything, but at least in the aughts you could single some people out as being hipsters and others as "normal."

Everyone who lives in a major city and is below 40 cares about being hip and fashionable and unique and up-to-date with culture. If you can call everyone a hipster, the word has lost its meaning.
Hipsters as they are commonly referred to are a separate subculture from other youth subcultutes, though.

Quote:
Sorry, it's the truth. If you don't understand that, you're obviously not very hip.
Also: saying you aren't a hipster is a surefire sign that you are one. I repeatedly refer to myself as not being a hipster, but I am a 27-year old who lives in San Francisco and has a pair of Converse All-Stars...

...though the suit and ownership of a convertible sports car probably lends credo to it being true, that I am not a hipster

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
1) They are not called "Chucks." They are "Cons" or "All-Stars." No one called them "Chucks" before 2005.
In the '80s in Minneapolis they were called 'Chucks' and were part of the punk rock uniform.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,934 times
I have seen hipsters well into their 30s. I resent them because they dress and play like they're poor when they've really been privileged their whole life. In Philadelphia they are often dirty and rarely friendly.

I'm not a bad person, but I deeply resent these people. I feel like they are wolves in sheep clothes. They want to live urban, again, act tough and poor, yet be snobby and pretentious. It would be one thing if they were friendly, but they're not. They are the ultimate "Posers."

Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
In the '80s in Minneapolis they were called 'Chucks' and were part of the punk rock uniform.
Out here in the rest of the world, they were "Cons."

Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've heard them referred to as "chuck taylors" or "chucks" here in SF, and long before 2005 as well. I've also heard "all stars", but have never heard them referred to as "cons". Though i admit i'm not talking about hipsters. I have no idea what they call them, then or now.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
IRONY UPON IRONY: The new group WHEN HIPSTERS ATTACK celebrated the release of their debut album at The Jinx nightclub in Savannah last Saturday night, complete with a Mr. and Ms. Hipster Savannah Pageant. The cover story of the Savannah alt weekly CONNECT was all about this monumental event. The story read (in part):

"There's been a change visible on the streets of Savannah -- tighter pants, fixed-gear bicycles and an over-saturation of irony. All the telltale signs of a hipster invasion. With these gangs of coffee-fueled, cookie-cutter creatives wandering the streets, there is an increasing risk of violence against the hip and un-hip alike -- a painful thought that is all to fresh in the minds of the local super-group When Hipsters Attack."

For the full interview, go here: When Hipsters Attack

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
[b]IRONY UPON IRONY: ...With these gangs of coffee-fueled, cookie-cutter creatives wandering the streets...
I have yet to see anything creative come out of this pathetic lot that has not been done already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City