Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 AM

37 posts, read 57,156 times

Advertisements

When looking at what First in Flight said on page 5 bram73 had every right to post those videos and that comment. I could tell by the tone of his post that he was kinda upset. But if someone called you anything other than what you are then how would you feel? Misrepresented confused? How would you feel? I'm a white guy from Alabama lived in both the carolinas and now reside in MD and from my experience the people in MD are not like the ones in NC. First in Flight presented his evidence of his account and bram73 presented his. Nothing more nothing less. People see rap and become immediately appalled. But when looking on the website I have seen multiple threads that have posted stuff much more vulgar than this at least his post had a message to some of the Carolinians who are interested in that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM

68 posts, read 139,417 times
Exatly. First in Flight was trying to say that NC is like MD and that NC SC and VA are not real southern states like GA/TN????? He even has one post on another thread where he says it's like Deleware?? That information was very wrong and I wasn't about to sit and let that information stand as if it is correct when it's not. But anyways I think that Norfolk is a pretty different south. It's not that type of south you expect to see but it's still the south. But what makes it different from Baltimore in my opinion is the outside cities. Outside of Norfolk you still have other southern cities you come to expect but outside of Baltimore you just have rural cities similar to south Jersey. Though I do think Norfolk is a lil more similar to Baltimore in terms of some similar architecture, ports etc I think the outside cities play a part in their comparisons. Norfolk is it's own type of south.

Last edited by bram73; 11-17-2011 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As a Black male, I completely agree. Too many of the younger cats are entirely too subsumed in their own subculture until they aren't able to relate and connect to the broader world around them and as a result they mistakenly apply extremely limited and context-sensitive examples to the whole. That becomes all the more apparent on forums like this where a broad cross-section of America is represented.
I also see what you're saying. I am also a young black male, but i make it a point to NOT fit into the classic stereotype.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Bram73...u said looking like u from DC would get u clowned? And u talkin bout some Peety Pablo swag? Come on cuz

Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM

What did I do stereotypical? Try to prove that NC is not like DC/MD? DC got they own style that is unique & me and my friends joke all the time about how different we are. My roommate is from DC!! Cmon with it. We talk and clown each other all the time! We got way different views on stuff but we still cool it's what makes the world go round. He's from DC I'm from NC it's a great experience but as far as that dude saying that Greensboro Raleigh and Winston Salem etc largely represent for the east coast that's not true at all and I know because I live over here. It's easy to beat up on the guy who posted rap videos but I'm not selling no drugs or shooting people, I'm in college making good grades, I guess yall ignored the part where I said the whole message was to be yourself. If you from NC then love NC and stop trying to act like you from somewhere you're not. That was the whole message! Obviously you missed it. You the stereotype, you see rap videos and you put me in a category & you dont even know me? You to busy looking at the videos instead of understanding why I posted them in the first place. Why on Earth would I post something if it didn't have a purpose. Especially some rap videos on a thread talking about Norfolk etc. It was for First in Flight posting that information about NC that wasn't true. So yeah I guess I'm wrong for posting my personal experience and video evidence on why I don't think NC rap is lke DC's or their style.

Last edited by bram73; 11-17-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,153 times
Hahaha this is to funny I literally just left a thread where the thread had nothing to do with country music but the threads focus turned and there were country music videos up and down the page so I couldn't let this one slide. But no one jumped on the other because of it. But let some rap videos be posted and you get this. What's even more funnier is the people talking about stereotypes are the ones who are in fact stereotyping. Just because the guy posted some rap videos all the people assume that he is some stereotypical gangster and all he know is rap. All bram73 did was respond to the person on page 5 who in fact did say some rather weird stuff about NC and SC. Oh I'm whiter than white and I actually know who Boss G is! He from Columbia SC but please just because I listen to him doesn't mean I go to the clubs shooting up people and robbing folk. I promise you I don't.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM

LOL! Right and all the vids had a purpose. I wasn't just putting random stuff up there. The one with Waka and Project Pat was to show that we are in fact very much in tune with GA and TN. The video with Boss G was to show that SC is very much the south. The interview with J Cole was to show that everybody from NC doesn't have a southern accent but they still know they from the south. The video with Petey Pablo was showing original NC rappers who also represented the south. I didn't just post mindless stuff. Yeah the content of it was vulgar but it wasn't about that it was the message behind it. I'm in no form a bad guy who just wants to turn citydata into BET? It was a purpose for that post. But that's all I got to say. This thread was off topic enough when I got here. I'm just gone move on the situation is in the past. If anybody was offended by anything I apologize and I would like to make a proposal that we get this thread back on track.

Last edited by bram73; 11-17-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,153 times
In my book you're cool I'm a big boy seeing rap videos doesn't destroy my brain and if I didn't want to watch I wouldn't have clicked on them anyway and like you said the thread was already off topic when you got here. But anyway...you're right lets get back on track I think Norfolk is the south and is not Baltimore or Charlotte. Mid-Atlantic doesn't start until you get around Northern Virginia.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:54 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times
I think Norfolk could be apart of both of the regions its sorta has its own little vibe with all the naval bases and all

Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 AM

406 posts, read 486,250 times
For those who say Baltimore doesn't rock gold teeth, I suggest you look at this video:

Black and Orange (Official Orioles Anthem) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City