Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Southern. In my opinion, the Baltimore and DC area is the area that is a mix of Mid-Atlantic and Southern.
The mid-Atlantic is the DC/MD/VA area. Everything outside of that is what's in question, DMV is the core of it. I'll even give you DE, parts of PA, and southern NJ to an extent. Mid-Atlantic is comprised of some north and some south to create the "middle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The mid-Atlantic is the DC/MD/VA area. Everything outside of that is what's in question, DMV is the core of it. I'll even give you DE, parts of PA, and southern NJ to an extent. Mid-Atlantic is comprised of some north and some south to create the "middle."
Actually DC/Baltimore is the core of the mid-Atlantic...and Hampton Roads is the very southeastern edge. Even NC is often included, especially the eastern portion, but those three states (DMV) are the ones that solidly make up the mid-Atlantic states.

This is a sub-region that include states in both the Northeastern and Southeastern U.S. Virginia is both mid-Atlantic and southern, but Hampton Roads is definitely the most southern portion of the area.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
The Hampton Roads, Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Wilmington, and Philly. You could place all of those metros in the Mid-Atlantic if you wanted to. NYC and Raleigh/Durham is stretching the boundaries a little too far IMO. However, the DC and Baltimore areas are the ones that are the most Mid-Atlantic. Richmond/Hampton Roads could easily lean towards being southern, and I'd say Richmond is definitely more southern than Mid-Atlantic. Wilmington and Philly, definitely leaning towards being northern. DC and Baltimore, comfortably in the middle. If you want Mid-Atlantic, Maryland should be the obvious pick.

Virginia is more Upper South than Mid-Atlantic IMO, although it's a popular opinion on this site that the three major metros (NOVA, Richmond, Hampton Rds) are more Mid-Atlantic than southern. Basically the eastern half of the state, which is where the majority of Virginia resides. However, I'm still under the opinion that Virginia is more of a southern state. You have to go north of Charlottesville and Richmond before you can taste some Mid-Atlantic flavor. This is just my opinion, though. I can assure you that whenever I've traveled to Petersburg, Danville, or Lynchburg, it felt pretty darn southern.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 07-26-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 05:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Hampton Roads, Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Wilmington, and Philly. You could place all of those metros in the Mid-Atlantic if you wanted to. NYC and Raleigh/Durham is stretching the boundaries a little too far IMO. However, the DC and Baltimore areas are the ones that are the most Mid-Atlantic. Richmond/Hampton Roads could easily lean towards being southern, and I'd say Richmond is definitely more southern than Mid-Atlantic. Wilmington and Philly, definitely leaning towards being northern. DC and Baltimore, comfortably in the middle. If you want Mid-Atlantic, Maryland should be the obvious pick.

Virginia is more Upper South than Mid-Atlantic IMO, although it's a popular opinion on this site that the three major metros (NOVA, Richmond, Hampton Rds) are more Mid-Atlantic than southern. Basically the eastern half of the state, which is where the majority of Virginia resides. However, I'm still under the opinion that Virginia is more of a southern state. You have to go north of Charlottesville and Richmond before you can taste some Mid-Atlantic flavor. This is just my opinion, though.
Good assessment.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:25 AM

7 posts, read 6,269 times
Mid Atlantic... RVA is Southern, HR is more east coast orientated, unless your somewhere like Suffolk/Chesapeake

Old 04-06-2016, 03:39 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,064 times
I would put Norfolk in the same region as DC, Richmond and Baltimore. It is removed from the major Piedmont cities, is part of Amtrak's northeast corridor and is connected to the Chesapeake Bay. That said, Baltimore and DC are too far west (and Baltimore north as well) to be in/bordering the MD and VA tidewater region.

When it comes to accents, Baltimore and DC had their own unique accents while the tidewater accent could be found south and east of Washington in Maryland. The accent is a different one from the lower Piedmont region by Raleigh.

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 04-06-2016 at 03:53 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Actually DC/Baltimore is the core of the mid-Atlantic...and Hampton Roads is the very southeastern edge. Even NC is often included, especially the eastern portion, but those three states (DMV) are the ones that solidly make up the mid-Atlantic states.

This is a sub-region that include states in both the Northeastern and Southeastern U.S. Virginia is both mid-Atlantic and southern, but Hampton Roads is definitely the most southern portion of the area.
The definitions of "Mid-Atlantic" vary too much for DC and Baltimore to be in the middle. Typically, the region includes New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania while MD and VA are the southernmost states. Of the oldest and surviving definition of "middle Atlantic states", Philly seems to be in the middle.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
I had a little time to think about it but regarding the accents, it is to my understanding that John Warner has a classic White DC accent. Can anyone from the DC area confirm that?

Anyway, my point is that I hear a lot of TideWater in his speech:

John Warner vid

I have to mention that this way of speaking is in decline in the DC area but it's still the original dialect. Regarding the native BMore dialect, there's pieces of the Tidewater accent in it too from what I've heard. Please correct me if this is way off.
The Baltimore accent's long "i" sound before unvoiced consonants (such as k, s, t, p) are the same as tidewater ones (though other places on the Atlantic have that sound, too). However, the southern-ness of its accent leans more towards the Virginia Piedmont accents than the tidewater one. I can't speak for D.C.'s accent because I don't know it well enough.

The black accent of Baltimore has some tidewater influence from when the Black population of Baltimore was supplemented with tidewater migrants in the mid 20th century. An example would be how they have two ways to pronounce "ou/ow" (The second vowel in "about" is not the same as the one in "down").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City