Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,670 times

Advertisements

lols the comments are funny , but i live in missouri in kc and its not as hillbilly ish as everybody makes it. its not really country, its alotta parts in KC like Hickman, Grandview , Raytown ,Northeast ( mostly hispanics ) and downtown but we call that ( The City ) lols examples : aww he from the city , or they city kids. But I live in A white area now but we have a lot of races especially hispanics. (((: lols i don't mind them , but at my school there are some kids who are country ,, like they like going hunting and all they wear are wildlife clothes. ( they usually hang around there own ) . But thats kinda cute . Were just normal if you ask me. I mean some ppl say i say Missouri so country with a accent. But Im farer from country .. Im not the hunting type Im just a normal black teenager xD . Now i have no clue about the bottom of Missouri ,, they say it gets hillbilly down there ctfuu. No offense ,, but when i think of country i think of Kentucky , Montana, Alabama, Tennessee, North and South Dakota, and Mississippi. But hey its a opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,960 times
Since this is about images I guess I'll share some, but they are based heavily on images from the media because I've never been to either state, only know two or three people from each, and am a New Englander.

Some Kansas images: Prairie, the Royals & diehard baseball, What's the Matter with Kansas?, the Westboro Baptist Church and the whole conservative area of Topeka

Some Missouri imagery: Winter's Bone, more diehard baseball, St. Louis and it's rust belt/urban prairie aura, places with no electricity and where there's not a police station for like 20 miles (from someone I used to know who sort of took care of this rural MO woman)

I agree that Missouri doesn't conjure so much a solid image as Kansas, but if you say St. Louis, KC, or the Ozarks you I pretty clear images. Now I personally have a little bit better knowledge of the two states than this, but many people around here are going to have these images of these two states.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Missouri: Two nice sized metros, hilly terrain, Gateway Arch, Branson.

Kansas: Nice midsized city (Witchita), A bit bland, Plains, Some hills & Forest, eastern Colorado's twin.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
Missouri at least people know it has cities that arent sprawled out suburbs. Kansas is often seen as rural, isolated and discomforting to most people.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
From The American Midwest: An Interpretative Encyclopedia:
"In 1922, William Allen White wrote: "Kansas is the Mother Shipton, the Madame Thebes, the Witch of Endor, and the low barometer of the nation. When anything is going to happen in this country, it happen first in Kansas. Abolition, Prohibition, Populism,… the exit of the roller towel…these things came popping out of Kansas like bats out of hell."

Although our popular culture image might make people scoff at White's grandiose claim, our historical reality makes Kansas one of few states- with Massachusetts, Virginia, Texas and California- emblematic of America. As historian Carl Becker wrote in 1910: "The Kansas spirit is the American spirit double distilled. It is a new grafted product of American individualism, American idealism, American intolerance. Kansas is America in microcosm."

Had I not come from there, I'd probably be inclined to think poorly of Kansas. It is just a very extreme place in terms of weather, politics, and history. Coincidentally, Kansas's state motto fits its mindset well: "A rough road leads to the stars". One of the most famous pieces of art in Kansas, Tragic Prelude: http://www.kshs.org/places/capitol/t...ic_prelude.jpg

As for Missouri, I have family there but I always think of Mark Twain, riverboats (The Steamboat Arabia), and Branson. Every time I smell fresh asphalt, I think of Branson... I think this is where its "white trash" image might come from. But it is not deserved.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM

34 posts, read 63,911 times
May not be what your looking for:???
I live in the middle of this region you speak of but on the Missouri side. My first answer to the original post was: Muddy rivers, lakes, ponds and any body of water here. Kansas is flat, hot and dry. Missouri is flat on the west side and hilly on the east side. Missouri is full of Mosquitos and very VERY humid. Very stormy as well. I would suspect Missouri has more venomous snake varieties. We have Rattlesnakes, Copperheads and Cotten-mouth (Water Moccasins) here in the edge of Missouri that we keep an eye out for throughout the summers. Cougars are now beginning to show themselves in northern Missouri as they grow more prevalent as are the Black Bears in the SE region. The SE region of Missouri is nothing like the NW part. Branson adds a bit of nice kick to the states economy and has added a bit of class to the otherwise known as 'hillbilly' area. Those 'Hillbilly's' are laughing all the way to the bank
This region is extremely conservative. Its not beneficial but they are very protective of their rights as well as their opinions. It is my experience they are fairly close minded and do not like change. This part of the country is basically a 'farmers mecca'. I huge chunk of America's bread basket for sure.
But I will always think of them both as having disturbingly muddy water everywhere. The further SE you go the clearer the water gets. Branson sits on Table Rock Lake which is known for its clarity in Missouri. There are no other lakes as clear here. Seems to me after my travels that Kansas and Missouri are basically the same as the entire central US. One great big valley of nothingness except farm fields

Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
I couldn't tell the difference between the two other than you can drive faster in Kansas. Flat...plain...and boring.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
You don't know pain until you have driven thru Mizzou

Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
I'm gonna say Kansas for one, and one reason only:

Missouri left the big 12!!!!

No, but seriously, Missouri.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
From The American Midwest: An Interpretative Encyclopedia:
"In 1922, William Allen White wrote: "Kansas is the Mother Shipton, the Madame Thebes, the Witch of Endor, and the low barometer of the nation. When anything is going to happen in this country, it happen first in Kansas. Abolition, Prohibition, Populism,… the exit of the roller towel…these things came popping out of Kansas like bats out of hell."

Although our popular culture image might make people scoff at White's grandiose claim, our historical reality makes Kansas one of few states- with Massachusetts, Virginia, Texas and California- emblematic of America. As historian Carl Becker wrote in 1910: "The Kansas spirit is the American spirit double distilled. It is a new grafted product of American individualism, American idealism, American intolerance. Kansas is America in microcosm."

Had I not come from there, I'd probably be inclined to think poorly of Kansas. It is just a very extreme place in terms of weather, politics, and history. Coincidentally, Kansas's state motto fits its mindset well: "A rough road leads to the stars". One of the most famous pieces of art in Kansas, Tragic Prelude: http://www.kshs.org/places/capitol/t...ic_prelude.jpg

As for Missouri, I have family there but I always think of Mark Twain, riverboats (The Steamboat Arabia), and Branson. Every time I smell fresh asphalt, I think of Branson... I think this is where its "white trash" image might come from. But it is not deserved.
The William Allen White quote was very true when it was written, nearly 100 years ago. Kansas used to occupy the same cultural space in America now occupied by Texas. It was an important national touchstone, not associate with either coast. Kansas hasn't been that for a long, long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City