Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM

386 posts, read 986,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Is that how people really talk in Norfolk??? He sounds like he from Atlanta. I know my people out in Charlottesville,VA (black) sound like DC people.
Yes some do, especially those who are over 25. I would say Famlay is a more typical accent from most. After looking at the way I posted the videos, I think it is best for me to mention that the last three videos are from Richmond, VA and the first two are from Norfolk, VA. I personally think Richmond Va residents(Redrum for ex.) have stronger southern accents that sound more like what you would hear in Atlanta, etc. Most AA's in Richmond have southern sounding accents. The guy I posted from Norfolk sounds similar to many people in Richmond, VA. The DC type of accent changes to a more southern accent after Fredricksburg, VA I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Not really. St. Louis pulls nationally and internationally. Lots of ethnic groups in StL. The new wave is the tens of thousands of bosnians. I don't think there are many people in St. Louis from KY, TN, OK nor MS.

St. Louis pulls a lot from Chicago and Charlotte because StL is such a banking/investing mecca (2nd most brokers to only NYC).

Most young transplants seem to be coming from cities like Atlanta, Pittsburg, Omaha, Chicago, Charlotte, KC and Dallas. The low cost of living and top notch historic architecture/urban landscape is very attractive to northeastern transplants too.

My comment about accents comes from my years attending Baylor University and my time spent training in Shreveport/Bossier. Both LA and rural TX accents are strong though my city friends from the larger TX metros ironicaly don't have much of an accent.

St. Louis has almost no accent however ther is a section of south city where you'll hear a lot of waRsh (wash) and fEr (for) and fArty (forty).

The 'word' Ya'll should be banished from everyone's vocabulary. YUCK.
What's all of this "no accent" business? Is the majority of the population in St. Louis mute? Everyone who speaks has an accent...

And what's wrong with y'all? It's an Americanism that has gained wide usage in most regions of the country.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Yes some do, especially those who are over 25. I would say Famlay is a more typical accent from most. I personally think Richmond Va residents(Redrum for ex.) have stronger southern accents that sound more like what you would hear in Atlanta, etc. Most AA's in Richmond have southern sounding accents. The guy I posted from Norfolk sounds similar to many people in Richmond, VA. The DC type of accent changes to a more southern accent after Fredricksburg, VA I believe.
I don't think so; my family in Charlottesville sound just like DC people. My roommate is from DC and he thought my dad was from DC when he first met him.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
My favorite southern accents are the Tidewater Va accents (Richmond, 757) and the Houston texas accents.

Here are some examples of what you would typically hear in the Tidewater area of VA in Norfolk, Portsmouth.

Famlay interview (common Norfolk accent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8A2o...eature=related

local rapper (pretty common AA Norfolk accent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRLQfeu5zpU
Yeah those are the typical accents of a black person from norfolk/tidewater who was born and raised. Not all, but most will sound like this. notice the Non-Rhotic and sort of a lazy pronunciation. Im guilty of this at times and have to make sure I fully pronunciate my words when speaking at work or giving a presentation at school.

The white people of the area tend to have a more neutral accent or more traditional white southern accent.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What's all of this "no accent" business? Is the majority of the population in St. Louis mute? Everyone who speaks has an accent...

And what's wrong with y'all? It's an Americanism that has gained wide usage in most regions of the country.
What? I mean (st. Louisians) talk like the people on the news. You know, like the language is meant to be spoken. And what isn't wrong with Ya'll? Girls in the south use 'Ya'll' more often than valley girls use 'like.' "hey Ya'll, wanna go to the rodeo?"

Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think so; my family in Charlottesville sound just like DC people. My roommate is from DC and he thought my dad was from DC when he first met him.
I believe you. The southern VA accents probably start around Richmond, VA. I know Lynchburg, Danville, etc have "old south" sounding accents, while Roanoke west has an accent similar to what you would hear in Kentucky, southern West VA, and eastern TN. VA7cities is right about the non-rhotic lazy speech of AA's in Norfolk/Portsmouth/Suffolk,etc. I would say AA's from Va Beach have more neutral accents for whatever reason.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
What? I mean (st. Louisians) talk like the people on the news. You know, like the language is meant to be spoken. And what isn't wrong with Ya'll? Girls in the south use 'Ya'll' more often than valley girls use 'like.' "hey Ya'll, wanna go to the rodeo?"
Really??? Ya'll is used nationwide and rodeo?? The rodeo isn't even part of southern culture.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Baltimore MD

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Here is a southside VA accent (south central Virginia, South Boston)

Interview with Alonzo Coleman (Former NFL running back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4qzk1pwA0

Old 11-18-2010, 12:06 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Not really. St. Louis pulls nationally and internationally. Lots of ethnic groups in StL. The new wave is the tens of thousands of bosnians. I don't think there are many people in St. Louis from KY, TN, OK nor MS.

St. Louis pulls a lot from Chicago and Charlotte because StL is such a banking/investing mecca (2nd most brokers to only NYC).

Most young transplants seem to be coming from cities like Atlanta, Pittsburg, Omaha, Chicago, Charlotte, KC and Dallas. The low cost of living and top notch historic architecture/urban landscape is very attractive to northeastern transplants too.

My comment about accents comes from my years attending Baylor University and my time spent training in Shreveport/Bossier. Both LA and rural TX accents are strong though my city friends from the larger TX metros ironicaly don't have much of an accent.

St. Louis has almost no accent however ther is a section of south city where you'll hear a lot of waRsh (wash) and fEr (for) and fArty (forty).

The 'word' Ya'll should be banished from everyone's vocabulary. YUCK.
Okay, cool. The word "Y'all" (not ya'll) is nothing more than "you all" in its contracted form. In my mind, "y'all" is no different than: can't, he's, you'll, they're, etc. I get it though, some people use it wrong, overuse it, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Baltimore MD
Speaking of MD, I found some video of a native MD speaker with that Tidewater VA influence in their speech.

Some lady from Smith Island, MD

Smith Island Cake

she sounds like she's from Tangier, VA

Tangier Accent

They say that the Outer Banks in NC has a similar accent as those two above and it sort of bleeds into parts of coastal SC (Fritz Hollings).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City