Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
FOR ME People from the south sound the same, I can't explain it but once they say one word I can tell they're from the south (or west). That's why I say they all KIND OF sound the same. I didn't say they are. .
Well of course you will know if someone is from the South (usually) by there accent. That has no correlation on the accents being "the same". Just a common thread...with different variations in tone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 08:14 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
New Orleans and Texas.
Black Texans have the most country accent to me lol.

[
Though with your video for Texas, that's strictly Houston. Dallas has an entirely different accent from Houston.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Really??? Ya'll is used nationwide and rodeo?? The rodeo isn't even part of southern culture.

"Ya'll" is NOT spoken nationwide. Since leaving TX, I can go years without hearing it. (And I travel A LOT)

Last edited by moorlander; 11-21-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Meant to be spoken like people on the news?

No, the "general american" accent is purely the invention of the media as the standard they decided for what American English should sound like. In reality though, most Americans don't speak this way.

What do I mean by that?

Northeasterners in general don't speak that way: Population 54,741,353
Southerns in general don't speak that way: Population 109,083,752 (the largest, by a very wide margin, group of Americans)
Westerners in general don't speak that way: Population 69,355,643

That leaves 66,217,736 Midwesterns on their lonesome with the general American english accent....and most of them probably don't speak this way.
Well most american's use poor grammar too. That doesn't make it right.

Regional accents and dialects are great but it doesn't mean some dialects don't sound ridiculous or uneducated. It is what it is and I embrace the variety. I don't want a vanilla america.

And even thought I have a neutral accent, I'll often begin to speak like a "good ol boy" when chatting with a southern customer.

I do find a strong correlation between a person's level of education and their accent.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Really??? Ya'll is used nationwide and rodeo?? .
Yeah, it is, but it is much more common-place in the South than elsewhere:

This map is where both "you-all" and "y'all" are most prevelant:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nd_Y%27all.jpg

This one is confined to where "y'all" is the standard:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Y%27allMap.jpg

BTW -- the maps come from this site, and were based on a Harvard University dialect study:

Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I proud of the fact! You-all and/or Y'all makes better sense than "you-guys" But then again, being a Texas/Southern boy, I admit to a little regional bias in that regard!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
"Ya'll" is NOT spoken nationwide. Since leaving TX, I can go years without hearing it. (And I travel A LOT)
Yes it is but it's not prevalent like TexasReb said. I hear it all the time in Chicago. I also agree that it's better than you guys. I mean that's just terrible lol.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeah, it is, but it is much more common-place in the South than elsewhere:

This map is where both "you-all" and "y'all" are most prevelant:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nd_Y%27all.jpg

This one is confined to where "y'all" is the standard:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Y%27allMap.jpg

BTW -- the maps come from this site, and were based on a Harvard University dialect study:

Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I proud of the fact! You-all and/or Y'all makes better sense than "you-guys" But then again, being a Texas/Southern boy, I admit to a little regional bias in that regard!

That's not even close to being national. It's common in one place - the south.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes it is but it's not prevalent like TexasReb said. I hear it all the time in Chicago. I also agree that it's better than you guys. I mean that's just terrible lol.
Maybe you hear it from your fellow southern transplants but ya'll/y'all is not common in Chicago. We agree to disagree on "you guys" and that's fine. "ya'll/y'all" is better than "yinz" I suppose.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Maybe you hear it from your fellow southern transplants but ya'll is not common in Chicago. We agree to disagree on "you guys." Both are better than "yinz."
No. I hear it from born and raised Chicagoans everyday. Including my family and friends.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
That's not even close to being national. It's common in one place - the south.
Just to make sure there is no mis-understanding? Isn't that what I said and provided proof of? And am personally proud of? Just saying...or asking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City