Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 12:12 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Now I live in the Chicago area. They say pop up here and they are trying to get me to say it. It's not happening.

It really is bizarre and something just isn't right about it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM

398 posts, read 993,894 times
Getting back to the main point of the thread. The worst Southern accent that I've ever heard is the country singer Reba McEntire. I don't know what kind of "Southern" accent that is, but it absolutely grates on me. I hate her voice and accent. Thankfully most of the Southern accents I've heard are not that extreme. I think that TV and other forms of broadcast media have mixed the Southern accents with more ordinary Midwestern accents, which makes the Southern accents a little less grating on the ears. I don't know how Southerners ever got those dog-awful accents, because they don't sound anything like the British (which is where most of them came from) or other Americans in the north or Midwest.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Getting back to the main point of the thread. The worst Southern accent that I've ever heard is the country singer Reba McEntire. I don't know what kind of "Southern" accent that is, but it absolutely grates on me. I hate her voice and accent.
She is in fact from Oklahoma, so not technically a Southerner. It's a bit more complex than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Thankfully most of the Southern accents I've heard are not that extreme. I think that TV and other forms of broadcast media have mixed the Southern accents with more ordinary Midwestern accents, which makes the Southern accents a little less grating on the ears. I don't know how Southerners ever got those dog-awful accents, because they don't sound anything like the British (which is where most of them came from) or other Americans in the north or Midwest.
Forgetting your gross generalizations and comments based on lack of knowledge, the dialects of English in the South are very much influenced by the British but more so from Irish and Scottish and various African languages as well as Native American dialects. Most of it can blamed on the Ulster Scots though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBe8KFxbSN0

Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM

398 posts, read 993,894 times
Reba McEntire might be from Oklahoma, but she doesn't talk like most Oklahomans that I've heard. Her accent is VERY "Southern" sounding. Almost like a cartoonish version of a typical Southern accent.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
There are arguments to that effect (along with a lot of other stuff that has happened over the last 150) that place Texas not as a solid Southern state but sort of a transition state between the Old South and the Southwest.

But I thought your argument was "simply geography".

Again, the Civil War is over and has little bearing today on how regions are. Also, I assume you are aware that there were plenty of Southerners who stayed loyal to the Union (and enlisted in the Union Army) as well as how there were many Northerners who either supported the confederate cause and at various points during the war considered going over to the Confederacy or whom joined the Rebel Army, right?

That war was not as simple as the "South" vs the "North". Those types of wars never are. Also, I fail to see how it has much merit today. I am a Southerner from Georgia born and raised....who has New Yorker parents and is half African-American and Japanese-American. Do you think that if the Civil War happened today I wouldn't join the Union Army? It's 2010 bub. The past is the past.

No. California was a Western and Union state during the war.

I'm not really sure why you are so insistant on combining the Northeast with the Midwest.

Do you believe Northeastern culture to be superior and that by co-opting that culture you too become "elite"?

Do you not believe that Midwestern states and cities have their very own culture and history separate from that of the Northeastern states? Shouldn't Midwestern states be allowed to have that?

That brings up a good point? Why should you "care" if the South is the largest populated region in the country? Do you lose something? Do you think the South is below you and not just in a literal way? Especially since it is a fact that can not be "cared for". For instance, someone may not "care" if the sky is blue, that won't make it not blue.

It is what it is. The South covers the largest chunk of the this country and has the most states in an American region, thus has the most people. Knowing this does not diminish any other region of the United States in anyway and for you to think that it does is really, really, childish and ignorant (sorry mods, just calling a spade a spade).
Then you'd better allow states such as Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi, Tennesee, etc to have their own cultures, too, since they're apparently too far west to be part of the true South...again, just some attempt on a "land grab" by you while trying to deny that a historical bond of sorts exists between Northeast and Midwest over a similar-sized piece of US real estate..

What are the similarities between North Carolina and Texas? You seem to think that there are some, and you insist on lumping them together, and yet you seem to think that Vermont and Wisconsin have nothing in common, and shouldn't be in a similar grouping...just in some vain, chest-beating attempt to boost the South's numbers..

Kid, I don't care who has more, but to try to distort history and geography to prove it, and feel some need to point this out to everyone when it wasn't called for, is just childish and hypocritical at the same time..

Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
I think all Southern accents are beautiful as long as they are spoken by Southern natives. What I don't understand are "fast talkers". What is the hurry?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Then you'd better allow states such as Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi, Tennesee, etc to have their own cultures, too, since they're apparently too far west to be part of the true South...again, just some attempt on a "land grab" by you while trying to deny that a historical bond of sorts exists between Northeast and Midwest over a similar-sized piece of US real estate..
Dude, are you seriously suggesting that I personally am overstating the size of the South? How many states are considered to be a part of the South is not determined by me but by a shared culture (that isn't relegated to just the Civil War) and by the Federal Government who divide the country in the following way:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

The Northeast (aka the "North)

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

The South

Deleware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Viriginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana

The Midwest (aka "Not the North)

Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa

The West

Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii

Now granted, this list is not hard and fast. For example, Maryland and especially Delaware today are culturally closer as a whole to the Midatlantic states in the Northeast than it is to the South and Oklahoma and Texas can be seen as transitional areas. The fact remains though that even when you remove those four states from the South, the South still has the largest amount of states and the largest population of any of the other regions.

Quote:
What are the similarities between North Carolina and Texas? You seem to think that there are some, and you insist on lumping them together, and yet you seem to think that Vermont and Wisconsin have nothing in common, and shouldn't be in a similar grouping
Are you under the impression that every state in a region has to be "just like each of them"? Do you think that there is no difference between Mississippi and Alabama or Tennessee or Georgia? Every state has it's own identity and it's own separate culture.

However I will say that North Carolina and Texas have far more in common historically and culturally than Wisconsin or Vermont ever will. Hell, North Carolina and Vermont will have a lot more in common given than it would with Wisonsin since they were both colonial states.

Quote:
...just in some vain, chest-beating attempt to boost the South's numbers..
Why in the world would I do that?

And what do you call your attempts at combining the Midwest with the Northeast?

Quote:
Kid, I don't care who has more, but to try to distort history and geography to prove it, and feel some need to point this out to everyone when it wasn't called for, is just childish and hypocritical at the same time..
Says the person who thinks a state in New England somehow has something in common with Wisconsin in any meaningful way....

Last edited by waronxmas; 11-29-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Dude, are you seriously suggesting that I personally am overstating the size of the South? How many states are considered to be a part of the South is not determined by me but by a shared culture (that isn't relegated to just the Civil War) and by the Federal Government who divide the country in the following way:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

The Northeast (aka the "North)

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

The South

Deleware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Viriginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana

The Midwest (aka "Not the North)

Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa

The West

Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii

Now granted, these list is not hard and fast. For example, Maryland and especially Delaware today are culturally closer as a whole to the Midatlantic states in the Northeast than it is to the South and Oklahoma and Texas can be seen as transitional areas. The fact remains though that even when you remove those four states from the South, the South still has the largest amount of states and the largest population of any of the other regions.

Are you under the impression that every state in a region has to be "just like each of them"? Do you think that there is no difference between Mississippi and Alabama or Tennessee or Georgia? Every state has it's own identity and it's own separate culture.

However I will say that North Carolina and Texas have far more in common historically and culturally than Wisconsin or Vermont ever will. Hell, North Carolina and Vermont will have a lot more in common given than it would with Wisonsin since they were both colonial states.

Why in the world would I do that?

And what do you call your attempts at combining the Midwest with the Northeast?

Says the person who thinks a state in New England somehow has something in common with Wisconsin in any meaningful way....

Says the person who thinks that Vermont and North Carolina have anything meaningful in common..

Yes, I will make sure that the next time I'm in Wisconsin ( which will be soon), when the temperature has dropped into the single digits, and snow has covered the local dairy farms, as they discuss the ventures of ice fishing and the local hockey team.. then I'll remind them that they don't live in a northern state, and that they have nothing in common with Vermont.

And then I'll wait for the laughter to subside....

Old 11-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Says the person who thinks that Vermont and North Carolina have anything meaningful in common..

Yes, I will make sure that the next time I'm in Wisconsin ( which will be soon), when the temperature has dropped into the single digits, and snow has covered the local dairy farms, as they discuss the ventures of ice fishing and the local hockey team.. then I'll remind them that they don't live in a northern state, and that they have nothing in common with Vermont.

And then I'll wait for the laughter to subside....
Well, in your head, if you think Wisconsin is a "Northern state" then it must hold true I guess. You should know that the idea is a bit ridiculous.

Aside from that, I wonder why you are even posting on a thread about a subject you obviously have such disdain for. Oh well....unanswered questions will persist I suppose.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Well, in your head, if you think Wisconsin is a "Northern state" then it must hold true I guess. You should know that the idea is a bit ridiculous.

Aside from that, I wonder why you are even posting on a thread about a subject you obviously have such disdain for. Oh well....unanswered questions will persist I suppose.
Self-awareness is a beautiful thing, and if you really believe the above statement, then you're in need of a complete makeover...

But I'm nothing, if not fair-minded. Should you ever decide to drive from Atlanta towards Chicago, I would suggest that you head "north"; now, you seem determined to head in the "other" direction, and I understand--that's your choice. But I want to help, so when you decide to leave, I'll notify the authorities at the Port of Miami, just in case they have to fish your car out of the Gulf of Mexico.

That, or you could just turn "your" map around; it's really up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City