Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel guy View Post
EXACTLY, you are from Atlanta. Therefore, you have heard southern accents by Georgians everyday of your lfie. You probably have a southern accent yourself and claim not to have one because its what you are use to hearing.
That's what you don't understand. There are Georgians, and then there are Atlantans. We make fun of people with southern accents. No native Atlantans have them. Even my friends whose parents are southern lost any chance they had at having one by growing up in Atlanta. I have been to many cities, and not once did people say, "Ah, you must be from the south--I can tell by the way you talk" UNLESS I said the word "ya'll."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Simple Southern accent test: words like why, try and I. Are they closer to "ah" or closer to "ay"?

(don't get me wrong, nobody actually says "ay" for I, but it's pretty damn close, unless you have a Southern accent)
This is how every native I know would pronounce why: with the "y" sounding like "I" in the phrase "I am". So I guess that means "ay". But definitely not "ah". No body says "president Jeh-mmy Caht-ah" either--it's Jim-e Car-ter.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This is how every native I know would pronounce why: with the "y" sounding like "I" in the phrase "I am". So I guess that means "ay". But definitely not "ah".
Well there you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
No body says "president Jeh-mmy Caht-ah" either--it's Jim-e Car-ter.
No I wouldn't expect that in Atlanta, maybe Savannah (plus Carter's home area of course)? The R-dropping is usually close to either the Atlantic or Gulf coasts, though it comes a bit inland in Virginia.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM

371 posts, read 597,149 times
I don't really care. I just don't like the hillbilly voices of those southern women that seem to always be on reality shows complaining about their boyfriends/husbands cheating on them..

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times
I`m black and I`m from Mobile,Al a city that is around 400 miles south of Atlanya and native black Atlantians do have a southern dialect.I would even argue to say it could be heavier than the dialects that are heard in Mobile.The way T.I speak and his dialect is what I hear when I visit Atlanta.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin96 View Post
I don't really care. I just don't like the hillbilly voices of those southern women that seem to always be on reality shows complaining about their boyfriends/husbands cheating on them..
Lmao.

But seriously it's between country Texas, hillbilly Tennessee, Savannah, or some parts of NOLA for me.

That Savannah one gets a bit annoying after overexposure though, maybe it's just certain people. Oh and I noticed some Atlantans don't really have accents, at least to my ears they don't, maybe a few words here and there.

This sort of thing is interesting to me, I like to duplicate accents for some reason.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,803 times
Quote:
White people in Atlanta have extreme southern accents. You might not realize this because you are from the south.

And nobody outside of the southeast says "shawty". So, get out of your bubble in the southeast and travel a little. Nice try.
My best friend is from Atlanta (white). He's in his late 30s and has no discernible Southern accent. He could be from Columbus OH if you were going by that. His parents (around 60) have a very soft Southern accent that is pleasing to the ear. His grandfather (in his late 80s) has a very strong "Southern Gentleman" accent for lack of a better word. Regional accents are fading away and my friend is proof of that. They get less pronounced each generation.

Last edited by jeffredo; 02-03-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lmao.

But seriously it's between country Texas, hillbilly Tennessee, Savannah, or some parts of NOLA for me.

That Savannah one gets a bit annoying after overexposure though, maybe it's just certain people. Oh and I noticed some Atlantans don't really have accents, at least to my ears they don't, maybe a few words here and there.

This sort of thing is interesting to me, I like to duplicate accents for some reason.
You like that TN styled accent? When I moved there some time back, I thought that it was okay (at first) but the novelty wore off after a month. Not coming down on you or anything but what did you find annoying about that Savannah style one?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM

314 posts, read 759,481 times
I guess my city(Alexandria,La) is unique in that most blacks don't have a strong Southern accent and I don't think most white people that are from within city limits speak with a strong twang either(though on average i would say i've heard more whites with stereotypical Southern speech than blacks in the city)..I do run across country sounding people every once and a while and most of the time they are from somewhere else.

Last edited by brother's keeper; 02-03-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Quote:
Anything in GA is the worst.
Oh, get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City