Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times

Advertisements

I have a friend from Houston and I find his accent to be just subtle enough to be charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
When I hear those clips from different areas of the South, they sound like accents that I hear in Memphis all the time. I don't hear one and think "oh, that's Atlanta" or "that's Nashville" Only cities like New Orleans have that distinction.
Well you should adjust your ears as there are differences. Some are subtle, some are extremely different. In order for something to be different doesn't mean the absence of similarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Memphis doesn't have a huge transplant population, in fact, it's really small.
That's why I qualified my statement by saying "the largest of those metropolitan regions have been flooded with transplants from other regions around the country in the last few decades". Memphis is not one of those places.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:48 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
I would say Texas. Here's John Hillerman, born & raised in Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vRmDsVi13Y

And then West Virginia. Brad Dourif, born & raised in Huntington, WV. He's the one in black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tPcRU525Mo

And Louisiana. Ray Walston, born in New Orleans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAohs_EElnw

Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
New Orleans and Texas.
Black Texans have the most country accent to me lol.

check out the dude at 2:43 in the first video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPsvuvt2nh8

by the way this a common Georgia AA "country" accent on display here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL88iQTyImg

Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,870 times
I can tell the difference between TN, TX, GA, FL, & LA and that's mainly it.

I can kinda duplicate the TN accent, a TX-ish accent, & a little bit of a FL accent.

I'd say the TN accent is the Fargo accent of the South lol, it's the most "out there" imo. Idk which I like most.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
New Orleans, Hands down!

I know I'm going to be alone on this, but I've always felt certain Houston accents were influenced a little by New Orleans.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
New Orleans, Hands down!

I know I'm going to be alone on this, but I've always felt certain Houston accents were influenced a little by New Orleans.
I have felt it too, but I would not limit it to just NOLA, we get some influence from other parts of Louisiana

Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have felt it too, but I would not limit it to just NOLA, we get some influence from other parts of Louisiana
True that.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:58 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
The Savannah accent is similiar to the Alabama and Mississippi coastal accent...Even Alabama has different dialects especially the blacks in Alabama.African Americans in Mobile have a different dialect than those from Birmingham,Huntsville and Montgomery.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well you should adjust your ears as there are differences. Some are subtle, some are extremely different. In order for something to be different doesn't mean the absence of similarities.

That's why I qualified my statement by saying "the largest of those metropolitan regions have been flooded with transplants from other regions around the country in the last few decades". Memphis is not one of those places.
I realize that there are different accents in the South, but they don't have much to do with location. I know people here who sound like the guy in the East TN clip, I know others who sound like the guy in the KY clip. The South has many different accents, but they're all jumbled up. Only some places have their own distinct accents, they're usually in the coastal areas.

It's not really possible to identify someone from Nashville, or someone from Jackson MS or Little Rock, Arkansas by accent alone. It's because these places don't have their own distinct accents. Even with the little quirks like "warsh" for "wash" that seem like they would be distinctive, I've heard that from people in Arkansas, OK, TN, even up in St. Louis and Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City