Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,298 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Mike and I live in Seattle. I am 32 years old and I am single. I am thinking about moving to Miami. If I were to make the move, I would probably not do it for about another year. I would need some time to get organized and get together a good game plan for my move. Seattle is a great city but I have been here for the last 5 years after moving here from San Francisco.

I have many reasons for wanting to move. Right now my main reason is that I am tired of having cold weather most of the year. I was just down in Southern California and I was even cold down there. I know Hawaii is nice and warm but I don't want to live there. Miami or somewhere in Florida I think would be the best bet for me. I have been to Orlando and enjoyed my visit but I would not want to live there. I need to be near the ocean or a large body of water. So maybe Tampa or Key West could work. I know that no place is perfect, but I think that Miami would be the best bet for me. I am sure that I would miss Seattle. However, I can't stop thinking about Miami. Especially on a cold day like today here in Seattle. I would love to hear what some of you think. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
What do you like about Seattle? Miami is very different culturally from Seattle. Are you ready for a complete wardrobe makeover?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,298 times
What do I like about Seattle? I like lots about Seattle. Seattle is just a nice city. I am just kind of bored with it. Seattle is a great place to raise a family and the economy here is strong compared with most of the country. Seattle has lots of natural beauty and it never gets too hot or too cold. So for the most part you can't complain with life in Seattle. I am just ready for some change. I want something different. Miami seems like the opposite of Seattle. As far as wardrobe goes I would need less clothing in Miami. As far as fashion goes I am not worried. People here in Seattle dress nice for the most part so I am not worried about the fashion thing.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,038 times
I've never LIVED in either Seattle or Miami but I have visited both cities. I LIKE them both....but they are VERY different.

As a very quick and not entirely accurate comparison, I'd say Seattle is San Fran.'s cousin and Miami is L.A.'s cousin (sans the topography).

Miami's winters are VERY nice...but the summers will be a shock to a west coaster used to very comfortable summers. Very hot and humid. I LOVE Key West...but I think that would be a HUGE shock b/c it's so much smaller than Seattle or San Francisco. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
Miami or somewhere in Florida I think would be the best bet for me. I have been to Orlando and enjoyed my visit but I would not want to live there. I need to be near the ocean or a large body of water.
Mike,
Just curious, what did you see when you say you visited Orlando? Did you stay around International Drive, Universal, or Disney?? Or did you actually check out the residential areas and the city itself?? They truly are "worlds" apart. Anyways, if Orlando won't work since you want an Ocean, then I'd suggest Tampa over Miami unless there is something you absolutely sweat (and couldn't live without) about the Miami lifestyle.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
SeattleBoy,

You didn't really ask a question. Miami is a great place to live - if you think you'd be happy there than go for it. If you have a concern ask about the concern, otherwise I don't know what the point of this thread is especially in the VS forum.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Stay away from Florida, it is an economic disaster.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Seattle has one of the healthiest economies in the nation. Go for Seattle for the employment opportunity.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Well, you're certainly going to get a whole lot of hot weather in Miami if that's your main criteria.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I would want more reasons than just warmer weather to move...
What do you like about Miami? Are you that familiar with FL? Certainly there is a lot to love, but I am not sure you know what you are getting in to...
Coming from Seattle, to Miami or Key West... I hope you bring your sun screen... the difference in sunshine and how strong it is will be shocking just by itself.
The rain will be much more violent than what you have in Seattle also...
Have you visited FL in July/August?

Somewhere like Miami, in comparison with the rest of the U.S. has 6 months of summer, 3 months of spring, and 3 months of "Florida Summer"...

I grew up there so I can handle it, but I have met enough people who come there from elsewhere, esp the west coast (more so than east coast) not used to humidity and complain to warn people.

Are you sure it is the cold that bothers you, or the sunshine??? I can handle cold/heat but I don't think I could handle all the grey days. Chicago gets grey enough as it is around 54% sun and much of that is due to shorter days than being overcast in comparison. And often times it is just passing, not the days/weeks at a time of no sun you get in Pac NW or even northern coastal California. and up.

Frank Wachowski, Chicago's sunshine guru tells us that the city typically receives about 54 percent of its possible annual sunshine and enjoys at least some sunshine on about 320 days a year.

The top 15 cities over 50,000 people in the U.S. with lowest sunshine...
1. Bellingham, WA (housing, pop. 75,150): 35.0%
2. Everett, WA (housing, pop. 98,514): 36.5%
3. Shoreline, WA (housing, pop. 52,315): 36.6%
4. Seattle, WA (housing, pop. 582,454): 37.3%
5. East Seattle, WA (housing, pop. 480,100): 38.3%
6. Bellevue, WA (housing, pop. 118,186): 38.4%
7. Renton, WA (housing, pop. 58,534): 39.1%
8. Issaquah Plateau, WA (housing, pop. 50,237): 39.6%
9. Kent, WA (housing, pop. 83,501): 39.8%
10. Federal Way, WA (housing, pop. 84,166): 39.9%
11. Tacoma, WA (housing, pop. 196,532): 40.1%
12. Lakewood, WA (housing, pop. 57,575): 40.7%
13. Tahoma-Maple Valley, WA (housing, pop. 52,781): 40.7%
14. Enumclaw Plateau, WA (housing, pop. 53,853): 42.7%
15. Graham-Thrift, WA (housing, pop. 56,970): 43.3%

every single one of them is in Washington...

Though I like Seattle, I would never live that for that reason, along with it being so isolated from the rest of the country. Some people love it for those reasons though, mild, and isolated from the rest of the U.S., it gives it an own distinct culture.

Miami/Tampa is probably going to double your amount of total sunshine and you'll see sunshine pretty much every day besides periods of passing clouds... It is never really grey for multiple days in a row, ever.

Last edited by grapico; 12-07-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City