Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most unique personalities, and overall character
NYers 50 27.17%
New English 8 4.35%
Phillies 11 5.98%
Washingtonians 23 12.50%
Atlantans 18 9.78%
SoFloridians 5 2.72%
NOLAns 3 1.63%
Texans(Houston and DFW) 21 11.41%
Angelinos 5 2.72%
Franciscans 8 4.35%
Clevelanders 4 2.17%
Chicagans 16 8.70%
Detroiters 8 4.35%
Cascadians 4 2.17%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,395,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Soulja boy, B.O.B., Andre3000, Drake????

You guys are crazy if you think thats real rap/hip-hop. Rap died when it hit the south/midwest, because by that time it became commercialized generic crap filled with auto tune, r&b beats, dance beats, etc. You know you don't listen to rap when you turn on a song and your mother knows who the singer is. Or you go to a clothing store and you hear a familiar song playing in the background.

With that said there are still a couple of true rappers left on the coasts like Crooked I or Immortal Technique.
Um if you think the midwest is about "dance" music you're dilusional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly i don't give a damn what somebody from detroit, houston or atl says.
nyers clearly have the flyest swagger. hell, the word fly in slang form comes from ny.

the amount of slang borrowed from ny, the fashion, the music, etc. says enough. the whole world was on our collective sack with this hip hop movement stuff for a good two decades, as well.

and all the mafia movies? thats us.
you see ppl rocking yankees hats in your cities (go ahead and lie about it like you're living under a rock). thats us.
all these cities trying to compare themselves, or rather the ppl in these cities comparing their cities to ny on and offline? there is a reason behind that.
you watch the ball drop on tv? thats us.
you watch that thanksgiving day parade stuff? us.
cable news stations not named cnn are headquartered here.

you get your swagger from us directly or indirectly, period.
lmao eek once again get over yourself. Come to Detroit, I'd put money on you seeing most ONLY "D" fitteds smh nobody is you all sack but you

Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the majority of southern hip hop artists are trash.

with that said, they have something going for them that WE currently do not have. they are able to break into the game, get buzz, spins on the radio and on tv, etc.

currently we are not able to do so.

so nobody here can hate, really. if you're gonna hate then do something about it. change the situation or be quiet. ny laid down and let others take our own ****, our own bar structure, for a min our own "sound" as far as production, and let them sell off of our own ****.

didn't try to come with something new, nothing. just a bunch of in fighting.

so really nyers can't say a thing, IMHO. the majority of our artists are doomed to being mixtape artists if that.

its gonna take more than a few 38-44 year olds to save our niche in hip hop. we're gonna need groups and movements like we had before. like the south currently has. its gonna take posse cuts like the south currently has.
eek I've seen you post soulja boy and flocka videos to back up your "why NY rap is so much better" bs before

Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
No. Although Gang members are known for wearing all those teams (including the braves and Astros) just cause you wear a White Sox hat does not mean your necessarily in a gang. I've seen plenty of middle aged men and women wearing it
Thank you! A Detroit boy will tell you a "D" fitted is a must in their wordrobe even if they do have other teams but nobody is going to the mall and copping a yankee fitted solely because its repping NY smh

Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I'm mostly talking about regular people . Like I said I've seen quite a few wearing em and I've seen a few famous people, not from chicago, wear them.
The White Sox hat is still one of the more common one to see along with Boston and maybe the Braves.(top 5 at least)
but yet when I was in FL plenty of the guys were rocking "D" fitteds but that don't mean they were on our sack smh

eek, the yankee fitteds might sale more in revenue but I'm willing to bet if you were to go city by city you'd see more of their hometown teams being represented than NY

Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Um if you think the midwest is about "dance" music you're dilusional
The fact is most real midwest rappers right now are in the same boat as New York and Cali rappers. To become popular their target market has to be white suburban teenage girls from Omaha.

Even rappers like Lupe Fiasco (who if you look a couple of pages back was presented as a REAL midwest rapper) are relegated to performing the same r&b suburban white girl -ish if they want to make the charts.
The last single by Lupe was this crap, and come on if you going to be objective and honest about it you have to agree with me that this -ish aint no rap.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
The fact is most real midwest rappers right now are in the same boat as New York and Cali rappers.

Even rappers like Lupe Fiasco (who if you look a couple of pages back was presented as a REAL midwest rapper) are relegated to performing the same r&b suburban white girl -ish if they want to make the charts.
The last single by Lupe was this crap, and come on if you going to be objective and honest about it you have to agree with me that this -ish aint no rap.

Lets stop grouping the south together because the South offers more variety opposed to the other regions. The music coming out of Houston is nothing like what's going on in Atlanta, Dallas or Miami and vice versa.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Lets stop grouping the south together because the South offers more variety opposed to the other regions. The music coming out of Houston is nothing like what's going on in Atlanta, Dallas or Miami and vice versa.
This has nothing to do with the south, its the fact that by the time hip hop became so popular that its spread to all corners of the country (last place to embrace rap was the south) it became waaay too mainstream and target audience changed dramatically.

Here listen to these lyrics and think if they will play it in your local clothing store or New Years eve celebration on TV or even MTV:

Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The fact is most real midwest rappers right now are in the same boat as New York and Cali rappers. To become popular their target market has to be white suburban teenage girls from Omaha.

maybe Lupe but the midwest is more than just Chicago

Detroit artists are from what you said. There are two type of Detroit artists.......A) rappers that are really lyrical (like Lupe I guess....not a real big fan) and B) those that talk about the typical drugs, money, women etc. Witht the exception of maybe Big Sean....he seems sorta in between to me

Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
PS I love Immortal Technique. One of the few people with newer material I will listen to.

I still listen to old stuff like this:

FF to 1:20 (that is a bit how I feel)

FF to 2:50, please tell me Soulja boy or any commercial ass people do anything like that. BTW he is freestyling there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City