Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,563 times

Advertisements

Here's my list -

Oklahoma City - Never been to a place with fewer things that are of interest to me. I'm not into 'mechanical bull-riding night'

Cincinatti - Here's a city famous for having the same hard-ass sheriff for the last few decades. No strip clubs in Cincinnati. Not that it helps with the crime rate! Add to that a city-wide feeling that race relations are at an all-time low and you've got a place that rates an easy 'no'.

Indianapolis - If you can base your life around auto racing and a football team, Indy is probably heaven. For me, it's hell.

Miami - Behind the tropical glow is a shallow, superficial city that has too much poverty. Miami swims in coke, has since the 80's. Seems like everyone there who isn't poor is addicted to plastic surgery and cocaine. The heat (not the team) is the last straw. If I had to pick a city from this list at gunpoint, it would be Miami.

Buffalo, NJ - Not enough there to justify the cold and the lake effect snow. One good thing is Toronto is not far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What is this crap about D.C. not being Northeast? Since when did the South claim D.C?
Ummm, like since there was a D.C.? Brush up on your history.

Most concede that these days, there's a cultural rift between metro DC and the traditional South, at least going by popular Southern cultural markers. But that doesn't all of a sudden make DC Northeastern either as it does lack a couple of key Northeastern city characteristics (heavy industry, large Catholic population, etc.). I think the appropriate contemporary term is "mid-Atlantic."

Old 08-14-2011, 06:17 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,563 times
What makes D.C. so special and so powerful is also what makes it neither a northern nor a southern city - the power players in D.C., as well as their subcontractors, are transients. They come from across the country to work in DC. Power is DC's currency, as much as fame is L.A.'s and Almighty Dollars are NY's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummm, like since there was a D.C.? Brush up on your history.

Most concede that these days, there's a cultural rift between metro DC and the traditional South, at least going by popular Southern cultural markers. But that doesn't all of a sudden make DC Northeastern either as it does lack a couple of key Northeastern city characteristics (heavy industry, large Catholic population, etc.). I think the appropriate contemporary term is "mid-Atlantic."

Last edited by Dub King; 08-14-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Its hard for me to say that I can never live in a place. as long as there is air, food and water, I will live.

The places I don't think I would be happy moving to would be

1. Santa Fe- that is the only city out of 100's that visited that I just didn't seem to like. I found it a bit boring, and.... the same. Really lacking in Variety.

2. Phoenix and a lot of cities in the SW- for health issues. My body reacts violently to dry air. My nose bleeds, my skin crack, I get headaches. I like Phoenix and other cities in that area, but the weather does not like me.

3. San Antonio- Worse place I ever lived, don't want to go back

4. California- though I like visiting, I don't think I would like living there. Plus all my friends seem to always run back from California. I dunno, I think far north California would probably work for me.

5. Anywhere where they think being bilingual means speaking Spanish. I had to lean English, as a third language, I am maxed out on languages (or rather too lazy to learn a 4th). Why on earth do people in the US think there are only two language out there and thus speaking those two makes you bilingual?

Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its hard for me to say that I can never live in a place. as long as there is air, food and water, I will live.

The places I don't think I would be happy moving to would be

1. Santa Fe- that is the only city out of 100's that visited that I just didn't seem to like. I found it a bit boring, and.... the same. Really lacking in Variety.

2. Phoenix and a lot of cities in the SW- for health issues. My body reacts violently to dry air. My nose bleeds, my skin crack, I get headaches. I like Phoenix and other cities in that area, but the weather does not like me.

3. San Antonio- Worse place I ever lived, don't want to go back

4. California- though I like visiting, I don't think I would like living there. Plus all my friends seem to always run back from California. I dunno, I think far north California would probably work for me.

5. Anywhere where they think being bilingual means speaking Spanish. I had to lean English, as a third language, I am maxed out on languages (or rather too lazy to learn a 4th). Why on earth do people in the US think there are only two language out there and thus speaking those two makes you bilingual?
You're like me; I can't do dry heat. I went to Mexico Texas [South Texas] and that was the worst experience ever. I was surprised how many people there didn't know English. I liked El Paso though; much more Americanized than I thought it would be.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You're like me; I can't do dry heat. I went to Mexico Texas [South Texas] and that was the worst experience ever. I was surprised how many people there didn't know English. I liked El Paso though; much more Americanized than I thought it would be.
. El paso surprised me too. San Antonio going south or west though is scary.

On of my friends has been begging me to move to McAllen. I tell her she is crazy. I can hardly order food in SA without a translator she wants me to move to a place that people speak even more spanish.

What I didn't like in SA was that even for Government jobs they ask if you are bilingual and when you say yes they ask how much spanish you know like spanish is another name for bilingual

My friend in Miami has the same complaints she said all the places she goes to ask if she is bilingual. They should not require english speakers to speak spanish for government jobs. Having on or two people who can translate is fine, but you can't lock out non spanish speakers. That is discrimination.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
It's harder to find 5 cities I would want to live in, that is to find 5 I'd never live in...As bad as that might sound, it's true, I just don't see the point at this point in my life unless I was forced to.

There are a ton I would rather not live in.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Someone didn't read their history books, thats sad... Yeah Its in the south.
But it really isn't treated as a Southern city. It's only recently that I have heard it being considered "Southern". I realize it's between MD and VA, which are both Southern States, but the District itself is definitely NOT Southern, at least not during the Civil War. My understanding is that D.C. is where the North would stage some of its battles from.....I could be very wrong though!

P.S. I SUCK at history!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM

801 posts, read 1,513,860 times
DC in the NORTHEAST Megaregion, so I say it's NE. Plus it's more like a NE city culturally than a SE one.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It's harder to find 5 cities I would want to live in, that is to find 5 I'd never live in...As bad as that might sound, it's true, I just don't see the point at this point in my life unless I was forced to.

There are a ton I would rather not live in.
I know exactly where you are coming from. There is only five cities I would want to live in by choice.

Tier 1: NY
Tier 2: Chicago and Philadelphia
Tier 3: Boston and DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City