Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Oklahoma isn't the most worthless state in the country. Look at the tremendous agricultural and energy sector in that state. And I strangely find the wide, open spaces soothing, like you can see a calm world into the horizon. Kinda nice in this world of go-go-go.

Let's be real--if not for coal mining and major river shipping, West Virginia would be the least needed state in the union, hands down. I can elaborate if anybody is interested.

Quite honestly, the cold, desolate areas of the Great Plains can always contribute huge value to the world with their agriculture. Once coal mining becomes a fraction of what it is now (which is already a fraction of what it once was), then what does WV have to contribute greatly to society?

Hell, even with Arkansas, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Alabama, their textile industries are menial fractions of what they once were. They're still very important to society, however. Those states also have larger percentages of land that are great for growing corn, soy, wheat, beans, cotton, etc.
Are you serious?? Did you not see what I just posted an hour ago??:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I was just joking! I just had to do it because what you said was ridiculous. I've never even been to Oklahoma. LOL calm down... It was just a joke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM

345 posts, read 976,388 times
In no particular order:

Minneapolis--From what I've heard, it's clean and the people are super friendly. However, it's just waaaaaay too cold for me to consider living in.

Buffalo--Same as Minneapolis. I actually find people from Upstate NY to be a lot friendlier and more genuine than their NYC Metro counterparts. But the climate makes it a no-go.

New York City--Too crowded, too expensive, and I could never see myself rooting for any of their sports teams. And I just am not a fan of the New York City superiority complex. I finally visited New York last year and it was okay, but really the city isn't all that different than any other Northeastern city, only 10 times larger.

Washington DC--I grew up 40 minutes from DC and honestly, outside the Mall area and governmental center, it's a pit. A pit with the most illogical street grid system ever. Give me Baltimore any day over this.

Northern New Jersey (not really a city but whatever)--I just find it very depressing there. And it's not just the gritty, industrial areas either. Monmouth County--ugh.

I dislike Las Vegas as a city and the climates of Arizona Southern California are way too dry, but at least they are warm, so I'll take those places over a cold climate any day.

Cities I would gladly live in? Any major city in Florida or Honolulu. And Baltimore is like a family member to me, so I'd count that as well.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 PM

342 posts, read 912,208 times
Places i would live
baltimore- great down to earth people, hometown!!
Philadelphia,pa-great city, great people, will be moving there soon!!
Atlanta, ga- good city for an entrepreneur
jersey city, nj- a little new york
chula vista, ca- heaven on the pacific!!!

Would not
washington d.c. Too expensive, superiority complex, and really commercial no sense of identity

camden, nj- any city that doesn't value its police is not for me

pittsburgh, pa for my personal sanity as a ravens fan

anywhere in texas

salisbury, md small ignorant dirty city on the eastern shore of md

Old 11-05-2011, 07:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
I was just joking! I just had to do it because what you said was ridiculous. I've never even been to Oklahoma. LOL calm down... It was just a joke!
Weak. Take your lumps man, you said something dumb. You can't cover it up by doing the ol' "I was just j/k-ing! Lol calm down lolololol! OMG"

Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Weak. Take your lumps man, you said something dumb. You can't cover it up by doing the ol' "I was just j/k-ing! Lol calm down lolololol! OMG"
Um... I really was joking. I just said it because of what he said about those cities. It was so ignorant. Then I looked at his location and just couldn't believe that he said that. It really was just a joke. I wasn't being serious.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Northern New Jersey (not really a city but whatever)--I just find it very depressing there. And it's not just the gritty, industrial areas either. Monmouth County--ugh.
Since when is Monmouth Co Northern NJ? LOL.
Ask someone from Bergen, Essex, Hudson or Passaic if Monmouth is "North Jersey". The responses would be quite reveling.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Since when is Monmouth Co Northern NJ? LOL.
Ask someone from Bergen, Essex, Hudson or Passaic if Monmouth is "North Jersey". The responses would be quite reveling.
Monmouth is Central Jersey, but definitely within the NYC sphere of influence (albeit the outer reaches).

Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
I'm going off of fact, not opinion. Just look at the statistics. Pittsburgh is dying.
Yeah, Pittsburgh's dying; that's why it's getting younger and richer.

Quote:
Also, leave Jacksonville out of it. We might have a "dead" core but we have one of the best neighborhoods in the country, the oldest city in the country less than an hour away, one of the best rivers in the country, world class beaches that any city would want, and... a GROWING population (-> #40 Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)!
Great, you have population growth. Too bad Pittsburgh still outdoes Jacksonville in terms of human capital growth. There's a difference, but you'll just have to figure it out for yourself, because I'm tired of having to go over it for everybody.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Juneau, AK (my absolute last choice)

I absolutely cannot stand a simultaneously cold AND wet climate.

Inland Empire (area), CA

There are so many other more desirable areas to live nearby that don't cost a lot more.. no reason for me to live there even if I had to work there.

Birmingham, AL
Fargo, ND
Little Rock, AR

These are simply not my type..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times
Quote:
I'm going off of fact, not opinion. Just look at the statistics. Pittsburgh is dying.

Also, leave Jacksonville out of it. We might have a "dead" core but we have one of the best neighborhoods in the country, the oldest city in the country less than an hour away, one of the best rivers in the country, world class beaches that any city would want, and... a GROWING population (-> #40 Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)!
Well I am just going to call someone out if they are going to put down a city. I really do not know what your intentions were, but come on, do some research. Just because a place is declining in population doesn't mean it is dead or dying. Just compare the metro area unemployment rates (not that this is a full indicator of how a region is doing) Pittsburgh at 6.8% vs Jacksonville at 10%. That's quite a differance.

Also, you mention neighborhoods. I assume you are talking about St. Augustine. Yes, St. Augustine is a great town. I had to live two years in Florida and about went crazy. I lived in the Tampa area, and know all of Florida's metro areas really well. But when you want to mention neighborhoods, Jacksonville can't even scratch the surface on Pittsburgh's neighborhoods. So not only does Pittsburgh have your city core beat, they have your neighborhoods beat by far. Do a little research on Pittsburgh, you'll be suprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City