Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 PM

322 posts, read 614,631 times

Advertisements

Well if you think you will have more fun in Boston then the party capital of the United States then I must be missing something lol. you must be a family man...which is fine but when people think of fun they think of New Orleans before they think of Boston.
Yes I was boosting about Orlando's tourism...thats why I hate Orlando. I've lived here a year and I have yet to meet more then 10 locals. It sucks. I feel like I live in a giant airport.
If you find the south bland then that's fine...thats how I feel about most of the north east. To each his own. Not everyone likes all of the rich southern culture.
New York the most unique city??? Now thats a little outlandish. A majority of the polls, surveys, and articles I have read about "the most unique city in America" have all boiled down to 1 of 3 suspects. Washington D.C., Las Vegas, and New Orleans. NYC is NOWHERE near the most unique in the country...and especially not the world. Deff not the most important. Perhaps at one point it was but the world is run by the BIG 3. New York, London, and Tokyo. One this side of the world we think it's NY. But that may not be true.
And yes my statement still stands...NYC is boring. Everything people go to NYC to see can be seen on a film or television show. The driving is too slow. You need money to be able to do anything fun (unlike the free beaches in Miami or LA and the 24/7/365/FREE Bourbon Street of New Orleans. The eye candy (girls and cars) are disappointing in NY. Unlike the South and the West. The food is stolen from all over the world with the exception of Brooklyn style pizza and a few other treats.
It's more then just what I like better...I don't like the north east...I've seen what it has to offer and its boring in comparison to other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Wow 2 for Boston? Thats the 3rd time I've heard someone choose Boston over New Orleans...that's hilarious because everyone else says New Orleans...and New Orleans is more widely known for its tourism and parties and food and culture while Boston is not so much. I'm not saying Boston sucks but if you choose Boston over New Orleans you must have a warped bias mind lol

Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Before I start, I do want to say that I acknowledge every place for what they can bring (whether I like them or not), and I will give props to places for what they can achieve but honestly here are some cities that you cant even pay me a few million to live in.
My Top :
- San Francisco: First of all, you park your car in a supposed "good side of town" and then come back to find out the god damn homeless people have broken into it and robbed you of your laptop, camera, and even freakin car radio (WTF?!) and all money they could find. Report it to the loser cops in this foresaken in my experience badly managed city, and they say "hey we cant do anything about it", even though they can god damn run the tapes and solve the problem from the security camera that was on the SIDE of the building. Next, do most people here look like they're always on drugs? Because god damn one part of town that I went to near that science museum was full of retarded looking crackheads. I mean I'm cool with people taking a hit or two of ganja but talk about freakin overkill man, and it freakin smells there.
Next THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE ON THIS SITE? ARE THEY BLIND? This city is filthy and everyone on here ALWAYS brags about how damn clean and pristine it is, god damn, you probably cant even pay a hobo $200 bucks to dare him into eating pasta off the sidewalks in this filthy city.

What's up people? What's with that "we're San Francisco, and we're the best attitude"? You're not, simply put it, you are freakin not. Such arrogance, and such a waste and clammer time with the people I dealt with there every time I went, over nothing.

San Francisco's scenery is beyond beautiful, I would rate it after Seattle. But when in the Bay Area whenever I go to visit family, I stick to South Bay in San Jose where my cousin lives. Those people are humble as hell, a better maintained city by cleanliness, better and more laid back feel, and just a hell lot better than feeling like you're surrounded by people who shoot up. I go to San Francisco once every time I visit cousins because the scenery is definitely worth seeing, but one day is all the time I give it. I cant stand this city's hype. It's menacing.

The cops saw the pictures of our car broken in to and the damage, and just said "it happens a lot here". I mean get real I know cops have more criminals to go after and stuff but the law enforcement in San Francisco sucks, just straight up sucks. And its not even that I got robbed that ticks me off about the place its the god damn people's responses. "Oh hey its okay, it happens" and "oh, we don't need to view the camera, its nothing serious" or "just don't park there next time". I mean WTF?

Sorry for the rant, but I just hate the place, not the people (I don't hate people) but I admit I do hate those cops, and everyone else there that annoyed the hell out of me and that's about it, but I just hate the atmosphere of the place.
In what city are you going to leave your laptop and valuables in a vacant car.
You would have been smarter to leave them on the curb and save them from having to break your glass. Sounds like another suburbanite victim whine

Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Well if you think you will have more fun in Boston then the party capital of the United States then I must be missing something lol. you must be a family man...which is fine but when people think of fun they think of New Orleans before they think of Boston.
Not necessarily true. Boston has the bar scene which is better than N.O. and a more intellectual vibe when you want to have a good conversation instead of random college girls pulling up their shirts for beads. Boston offers classy nightlife, irish bars, sports bars, and many different ethnic oriented spots. I can sit down and enjoy myself without having some girl coming up to the window flashing everybody in the building.
New Orleans has some music venues and such, but the rest seems dominated by the street parties full of beads, no matter what holiday or time of year, as well as the open air bars with crappy bourbon filled hurricanes, 101 octane, or similar derivations of frozen drinks. The crowd is often filled with people wearing LSU and Auburn shirts and various other southern frat boys and ghetto crowd that came in for the weekend, that is not my thing at all.
Sure you can check out a jazz band in a hotel lobby or something, but you can almost guarantee there will be drunk idiots walking through at some point in the night.
New Orleans has no baseball teams, one of my favorite past times is catching the local game at the bar down from the city stadium.
New Orleans has a few things, but mostly the air it gives off is tacky, and drunken debauchery.
Boston has the best, if not one of the best sports bar scene in the country, the best irish bar scene in the country, and loads of other fun night life that isn't about getting "plastered" or showing your boobs. I like classy, not trashy. Not that New Orleans is all trashy, but there is plenty of it there, more so than any other city I think outside of how Daytona used to be at Spring Break. It is also a pretty filthy city in general.

Party capital of the U.S.?? who told you that. Maybe party capital of Louisiana and Mississippi.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,325 times
Quote:
Yes, I WILL have more fun in Boston over New Orleans. I don't have a desire to be around people decked out in their LSU gear slamming back gumbo. I enjoy cities with a little sophistication, which Boston most certainly has.

No, not a family man. I am 28, single with zero kids. Oh, and NOLA is far from the party capital of the United States. The streets during mardi gras smell like a combo of puke and urine, I have more class than this.

Quote:
New York the most unique city??? Now thats a little outlandish. A majority of the polls, surveys, and articles I have read about "the most unique city in America" have all boiled down to 1 of 3 suspects. Washington D.C., Las Vegas, and New Orleans. NYC is NOWHERE near the most unique in the country...and especially not the world.
If New Orleans was so "unique" then doesn't it place in the top 10 for most cities visited by overseas travelers? New York was #1 in this dept.

Quote:
Deff not the most important. Perhaps at one point it was but the world is run by the BIG 3. New York, London, and Tokyo. One this side of the world we think it's NY. But that may not be true.
Really? Expert researchers seem to think so. So, I should take your opinion over theirs? I don't think so. However, I will say NY is possibly 2nd only to London, it's debatable.

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

Quote:
And yes my statement still stands...NYC is boring. Everything people go to NYC to see can be seen on a film or television show. The driving is too slow. You need money to be able to do anything fun (unlike the free beaches in Miami or LA and the 24/7/365/FREE Bourbon Street of New Orleans. The eye candy (girls and cars) are disappointing in NY. Unlike the South and the West. The food is stolen from all over the world with the exception of Brooklyn style pizza and a few other treats.
It's more then just what I like better...I don't like the north east...I've seen what it has to offer and its boring in comparison to other cities.
I guess certain people enjoy eating pies from chain restaurants like Little Caesars and Domino's. This doesn't surprise me though because all of Florida outside of Miami is ran by chains. Truly shows how cultured people are.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:03 PM

I find Boston to be less classy and more snobby. It's cold and frail. Very vanilla.
I suppose you had a fun weekend on Bourbon Street...but did you see the real Jazz bands that play in the real clubs and bars throughout the city. You want class, well you won't find it on Bourbon Street...the tourist attraction. Perhaps you should take another trip and go to Uptown new orleans where you can find some of the countries top rated bars and clubs. Some of the greatest music artists of all time have come from New Orleans and you can see those roots in many more places then the French Quarter. The food there is excellent and much better then the bland blend of European treats that can be found in Boston. And if it's an intellectual vibe you are looking for then I'm shocked that you would go looking for it on Bourbon Street. If you go to a party destination you will find party goers. But the French Quarter is just the hook. The curse of being one of the most unique most head of cities in the country is that many people will never know anything more then what they read and see. You must look deeper.

Alas...I have seen most of what Boston has to offer and it falls short...Boston reminds me of an animal cracker...so when stacked up against the rich Creole flavor of New Orleans...well it's simply child's play. But don't believe me...believe the artists of our generation that love it so dear.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Of course most people go to NY. I have a cousin that has never left Greece in her life and she wants nothing more then to go visit NYC. I asked her why and she told me it's because its the best city in the United States. Then I asked her to name another city from the United States and she could only name Los Angeles and Miami. NYC is the most advertised thing about the United States but that doesn't mean its the best. Tokyo is the most advertised city in Japan but does that mean it's the best place to visit in Japan?

So where is the party capitol of the United States? Since I am mistaken perhaps you can enlighten me.

And I don't know what food chains have anything to do with the comment I made about NYC not having much originality food wise or the eye candy of the city?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Wow 2 for Boston? Thats the 3rd time I've heard someone choose Boston over New Orleans...
Are you saying simply in terms of partying? Or in terms of being an overall city?

Quote:
that's hilarious because everyone else says New Orleans...and New Orleans is more widely known for its tourism and parties and food and culture while Boston is not so much.
New Orleans definitely has a stronger party scene...however overall nightlife? I'm not sure. New Orleans is a place for debauchery...it's based on allowing visitors to drink publicly, see some ta-ta's, and maybe black out, puke, and try to buy some fake coke in the ghetto from some shady dude who may or may not attempt to stab you.

Food? I think you could say at the very least it's a tie with maybe an edge to Boston. They each have their own unique local offerings, New Orleans with the French/Cajun style, and Boston with the lobster, clam, mussel, classic New England style. However Boston also has offerings in Italian, Portuguese, Chineses, Brasilian, among others.

Culture? Again, New Orleans is definitely known for its culture but if you're looking at cultural offerings like museums, symphonies, ballet, etc., then Boston mops the floor with New Orleans. The addition of thousands of international students in Boston & Cambridge also gives it a unique vibe.

Quote:
I'm not saying Boston sucks but if you choose Boston over New Orleans you must have a warped bias mind lol
Again, if you're only referring to hard drinking, Mardi Gras-style partying then yea I think you'd be crazy to say Boston offers more than New Orleans...but if you're talking about the city overall, then I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many who agree with you. I can't think of a single category where New Orleans has a definitive advantage over Boston aside from debauchery.

By the way, I have no problem with people liking other cities more than Boston, or even downright hating Boston. However when you break it down in details like you just did, it makes it hard for me not to respond to where I believe you've made glaring mistakes.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 35,439 times
Anywhere not Chicago, DC, Boston, Philly, and of course, NYC!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In what city are you going to leave your laptop and valuables in a vacant car.
You can do that in Minneapolis. Probably a few others too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City