Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ranked Higher
GaWC: Chicago
Global Cities Index: LA
Global Cities Competitiveness Index: Chicago
Global Power City Index: LA
World City Survey: LA

Like I said, LA isn't in a class of its own here. I'm not sure what's so bad about being ranked with or near Chicago in these meaningless lists anyways, it's a great city too.
There's nothing wrong with that, they are close as cities. Chicago is a great city. As a metro, LA blows Chicago out of the water.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ranked Higher
GaWC: Chicago
Global Cities Index: LA
Global Cities Competitiveness Index: Chicago
Global Power City Index: LA
World City Survey: LA

Like I said, LA isn't in a class of its own here. I'm not sure what's so bad about being ranked with or near Chicago in these meaningless lists anyways, it's a great city too.
Because Chicago is in flyover country, ugly scenery, massive identical sprawl, could be confused for any other big city to a foreigner, nothing really stands out for someone to say "hey that's Chicago", other than that its a nice small town

Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Because Chicago is in flyover country, ugly scenery, massive identical sprawl, could be confused for any other big city to a foreigner, nothing really stands out for someone to say "hey that's Chicago", other than that its a nice small town
Right.

I sense a little projection here. As well as some urbanity/transit/skyline/walkable core envy.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
It goes like this. For global cities in the US:

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
San Francisco
DC

For World Class:

New York

....If you include Los Angeles then you have to include Chicago. If you include Chicago then you have to include San Francisco. None of these three cities have anything over the other that would excel them in a tier of their own. Population does not cut it when ranking World Class because San Diego, Houston, etc. have a higher population than San Francisco and they are not on SF's level of World Class amenities. Even global ranks are skewed by population. If that was the case Mexico City would be tops!

Abundance of a diverse economy and being a leader in a specific sector will elevate an area to a top tier global city.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
There's nothing wrong with that, they are close as cities. Chicago is a great city. As a metro, LA blows Chicago out of the water.
I think the question most people ask is "where is the great city in LA?"

Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM

LA is a true megacity, only one of a handful, only city to known throughout the world just by its initials, Chicago on the other hand .......

Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
LA is a true megacity, only one of a handful, only city to known throughout the world just by its initials, Chicago on the other hand .......
So you guys are tired of posting pictures of "LA Walks!", Hollywood Boulevard, and light industrial districts as examples of LA's great urbanity?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:40 PM

When Chicago becomes a megacity than maybe we can start comparing it to the megalopolis that is Los Angeles

Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
When Chicago becomes a megacity than maybe we can start comparing it to the megalopolis that is Los Angeles
That's what I thought.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
It goes like this. For global cities in the US:

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
San Francisco
DC

For World Class:

New York

....If you include Los Angeles then you have to include Chicago. If you include Chicago then you have to include San Francisco. None of these three cities have anything over the other that would excel them in a tier of their own. Population does not cut it when ranking World Class because San Diego, Houston, etc. have a higher population than San Francisco and they are not on SF's level of World Class amenities. Even global ranks are skewed by population. If that was the case Mexico City would be tops!

Abundance of a diverse economy and being a leader in a specific sector will elevate an area to a top tier global city.
This seems like a really fair assessment. I think LA is a great city - but if I lived in Chicago or San Francisco, I would think of them the same way. I agree that population is not the most important factor, though it helps bring in a lot of the other factors or increase the amount of them, if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City