Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

I cant see how any major city or metro area is going to be bad for young people. Most major cities have at least 2 or 3 entertainment districts full of bars and clubs, most have large numbers of young people, most have good eating, and most have a social network.

Even the small towns have a few things going on. If I was told I had to move to Fargo, I probably wouldnt be thrilled, but Im sure there are some things to do there so I would be fine.

For example, Phoenix is not my favorite or least favorite city. But given its size I cant see how anyone could say its bad for any one group of people. Its simply too large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Yes, I am trying to say that. When you have a 3 mile wide river dividing the city with limited crossings, the Beaches a good 15-30 minutes from most of the city, and no walkable, urban neighborhoods where hoards of young people live and hang out, then yes, it is all about being spread out.

I live in Midtown Atlanta. There are probably 50,000 under 35 year olds, mostly single or in the dating stage, all living in highrises and infill developments within a 1-2 mile radius. Not to mention there are two colleges in the area and the area is serviced by 3 MARTA rail stations.

Now where do you think Atlanta's largest and densest concentration of hip bars, clubs, restaurants, gyms, and even to an extent stores are? If you guessed Midtown and surrounding area, then you would be right. Where does a single guy in Atlanta go to meet women? There are 3 obvious choices to go to or live in to be surrounded by other young, single professionals, and Midtown is one of them.

In Jacksonville, all of the young, single professionals are scattered throughout the city and mixed in with families and old people. That's no fun is it? I mean, there are a few small enclaves in Riverside, in Jax Beach, and around Gate Parkway (the latter being suburban), but they don't measure up.

Let's say in Jacksonville you go to one of the bar/club areas and you meet a girl. First, the very nature that you have to drive probably 10-15 minutes or more to get to one of these areas is not conducive to a thriving, young, singles market. Then you meet a girl. You're from Avondale and she lives at the Beach. Now you're separated by a 30 minute drive withOUT traffic. That's no fun.

How about having one area where you probably live and she probably lives, you might even be in the same building, etc. You meet at the local LA Fitness or Equinox or even your building gym. That's more like it.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,887 times
Albuquerque.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
I'm 20 years old and I can say that Austin, Chicago, Houston, & Washington DC are NOT bad at all. They're all pretty sweet (especially Austin).

Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I cant see how any major city or metro area is going to be bad for young people. Most major cities have at least 2 or 3 entertainment districts full of bars and clubs, most have large numbers of young people, most have good eating, and most have a social network.

Even the small towns have a few things going on. If I was told I had to move to Fargo, I probably wouldnt be thrilled, but Im sure there are some things to do there so I would be fine.

For example, Phoenix is not my favorite or least favorite city. But given its size I cant see how anyone could say its bad for any one group of people. Its simply too large.
I agree. It would be hard finding any major city that is not good for young adults.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree. It would be hard finding any major city that is not good for young adults.
Sometimes I just want to look at people who tell me a major city is boring and ask "How?". Im not a crazy resourceful dude, but Ive been to cities like Sioux Falls, Amarillo, and Evansville and managed to find places to eat and places to hang out in. They may not be Miami Beach, but its not like there is nothing. Yet, someone tells me they are bored in Phoenix or Indianapolis? I think they just dont try hard.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I fail to see how any area with over a few hundred thousand people could have a bad nightlife.
Seeing in person is easier than theorizing it. Florida and AZ have some notorious areas like this due to retirement. More conservative areas are also notorious for this if you are in the 25-40 crowd and single. I agree with the sucking of Jacksonville... Tallahassee and Gainesville have equal or better night life. Maybe not for 30+ but 18-25(6), most definitely. Ft. Lauderdale also kills Jacksonville in nightlife.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Well nightlife is not really the end all be all for a thriving young professional scene/singles scene. That said, Fort Lauderdale kills most places in nightlife (imo it's like a crazier Miami with sleazier people). Gainesville and Tally are college towns and cater accordingly, and I wouldn't place their "nightlife" above Jacksonville's.

A single's scene/young prof scene does not equal college town. It's usually a large city that attracts college grads with decent jobs and has vibrant neighborhoods where young people live and congregate. I know tons of people under the age of 30 who don't like to go to crowded, sleazy, bumping clubs until 3 am (myself). I like a good gym, a slew of good restaurants, and a good 11-1 bar scene on the weekends. I'm usually asleep by the time the big clubs are just getting going. Coffee shops, parks, my office nearby, and necessities shopping (grocery, haircut, package store, etc) nearby are what complete the scene for me. Being able to walk to a really good museum or go to any number of local events and meet people there is also part of the experience of living in a young prof/singles area. Concerts or movies in the park, etc. You get the picture.

There aren't a huge ton of cities that have a truly great young prof/singles scene. If you aren't NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, LA, Denver, San Diego, Atlanta, or Austin (and I know I'm leaving a couple off), then you are most likely lacking in something, whether it be abundance of high paying jobs for fresh college grads up to ~30 years old or individual neighborhoods where hardly anyone over 35 lives, etc. Affordability is also a key because many 25 year olds cannot yet afford $3500 a month in rent for a 1-2 bedroom, nor can they afford a decent townhouse, condo, or single family home.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 PM

423 posts, read 646,649 times
Salt Lake City

Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

^^^^You are right on point justme02. All major cities have something to do for the younger crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City