Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
thats cool and all but meaningless as Chicago's tourism is mostly composed of locals who travel into the city once a month to have sex. Chicago is the ultimate in one night stands. Logic thrown
completely out the window
Does one really need to travel to Chicago if they are just looking to get laid?? And whose to say that you are going to find someone who wants to have sex with you anyways??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Does one really need to travel to Chicago if they are just looking to get laid?? And whose to say that you are going to find someone who wants to have sex with you anyways??
Goonsta was being sarcastic in response to an earlier post.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Seriously? I think that's among the most boring drives I've taken in North America.

Chicago to Detroit is pretty boring, flat, non-scenic, but Detroit to Toronto is like the most boring drive imaginable, especially between Windsor and London. There's nothing between those two cities; just flat farmland.

Really the only interesting feature during that whole trip is the Niagara Escarpment, which is cool.
Actually my favorite drive in the country so far is the entire San Francisco Bay Area and it's surroundings heading east into Sacramento, continuing east into Tahoe, and then eventually Reno or Carson City. It's a beautiful transition from coastal California into the fringes of the Old West. The diverse landscapes from prairies, forests, valleys, mountains, rivers, bays, hills, steppes, oceans, lakes, islands, marshes, reservoirs, even swamp (around Discovery Bay) and the transition from what San Francisco is to what Reno or Carson City are.

I would've said Bos-Wash, just by looking at the sheer scale of the cities, but honestly, after Baltimore my shoulder begins to hurt excessively and the traffic is ridiculous, especially in the DMV area where it takes so much longer just to get out of it. At that point, getting to the next city is more of a relief than a trek. The view's all trees except for that break in Maryland between Baltimore and Philadelphia (just like along the Indiana-Michigan border area, just better roads) where there are hills around the lakes and rivers. I actually prefer to just fly when dealing with Bos-Wash.

For the Chicago-Detroit-Toronto corridor. My view of London or Kalamazoo is that they have identical purposes, on each of our treks, we would only stop in those two before reaching Detroit from Chicago and after leaving Detroit for Toronto. I personally do like Chicago and Toronto, not something I could say for a lot of places, but I genuinely do. While Detroit doesn't fit my idea of the sort of city I'm into, I find it to be one of the more fascinating places in both the Midwest and the country. Plus I have grandparents around there, so, going there is a given. Oh and Niagara Falls, I've seen the Grand Canyon and Oyster Creek Canyon (near Sedona) in Arizona as well as have gone snowboarding at the San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff and I still prefer the Niagara Falls to it. I just like water more than elevations, basically what I'm getting at.

My favorite drive in the world so far has been the drive from Patna to Kathmandu, cutting through the foothills of the Himalayas, it's beautiful.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-04-2014 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 PM

215 posts, read 379,111 times
Chicago and Toronto are two of my favorite cities in N America, both have awesome skylines. Toronto is going through a huge boom right now skyline/population wise/economic and will pass Chicago in relevance within my lifetime IMHO. I would love to live in and visit both again, but would go with Chicago overall... The food is better!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

While Detroit doesn't fit my idea of the sort of city I'm into, I find it to be one of the more fascinating places in both the Midwest and the country. .
I agree - So many people level criticism against Detroit for various reasons but there is more to Detroit than just areas of decay. There are actually some extremely prosperous suburbs and it is still a powerful city with 5 million in its metro and is a developed technology and manufacturing centre. There are some interesting Museums including the Henry Ford which has some fascinating artifacts of Americana and an impressive art institute.. Plus the architecture of the DT core is absolutely extraordinary imo.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Down at ground level below all those shiny new condo penthouses, Toronto remains a weird, quirky place.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM

^^^

ugggh - I can only watch that if I turn the volume OFF

Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
I know, just play your own music of choice while you watch it. hah

Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I know, just play your own music of choice while you watch it. hah
Yah - that is an absolute necessity

Otherwise the portions that I've seen it does a great job of showcasing Toronto's urbanity and eccentricity.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,034 times
I am from Toronto, and i have travelled to Chicago many times.

Toronto - chill the fug out, you have a long way to go before you'll role with the big boys.

Chicago - chill the fug out, you no longer role with the big boys.

Now stop the **** fight before one of you ladies get hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City