Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 AM

765 posts, read 1,860,051 times

Advertisements

These two cities definitely go head to head in many ways. They are the largest and most internationally recognized cities on the Great Lakes region. Toronto is definitely safer, cleaner and embarks a more positive image. Chicago is a truly polarized city, from great classy neighborhoods to extremely dangerous ghettos. Chicago's image isn't so well since it keeps grabbing national headlines for the local violence that occurs there.

I'd put Chicago slightly ahead of Toronto. I was in Toronto in the year 2000 (a lot has changed I'm sure) and I was in Chicago last summer. I must admit Chicago's skyline and use of the lakefront is far superior than Toronto's. I'd put Chicago slightly ahead of Toronto based on "paper" and I'd prefer Chicago because it feels larger and more urban than Toronto and I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 05:52 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
criteria
-weather - Toronto, I'd say Toronto and Chi are the same in the winter (maybe a little warmer in Toronto) but Toronto isn't prone to the heat waves Chicago gets.
-education(k-12)- Toronto
-further Education- Chicago
-diversity- Toronto
-skyline- Chicago
-entertainment- Toronto, hard to beat the hockey hall of fame for me.
-nightlife- Haven't experienced Chicago nightlife but have in Toronto since I can drink there so I'll just say a tie.
-quality of life- Toronto; this was more of a USA vs Canada thing and IMO Canada has a better quality of life.

I'd go with Toronto and I'd also add the category of crime where Toronto wins by a long shot especially outside of Downtown.
Nahhh...ya think?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Toronto has a better transit system. It also has that PATH system that covers much of downtown.

The subway in Chicago is only 12 miles long and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
how are you not banned yet... I'm disappointed mods. People will start getting rid of their accounts if these trolls just keep infiltrating every single thread involving whatever city it is they are bashing. You can't say the dreaded "s" word on this site but its ok for people to consistently post unintelligent fodder about whatever city they want and highjack every thread. Lame.

I understand your frustration. But he does have a right to his opinion just as you and I do. As long as he isn't breaking any rules then by all means post. I understand though there is a fine line between trolling. But I also think people shouldn't be banned just because they have a dislike for a city. In that case, most of us would be banned. I have two cities that I make no bones about not liking. It's just my opinion. And to those who live there, they should care less about what I think.

As far as the unintelligent fodder. Once again, there is a line. Do we ban people for not being right or producing false statistics, information, etc. At that point we would all be banned. I'm sure we could find some misinformation from almost anyone if we wanted to. Live and let live. And who cares if he doesn't like Chicago. I've been to Chicago many times. Loved it. But I'm sure there are things about it where if I lived there I would not like. Being a visitor in a city and actually living in a city are two different things. Not that I think you don't know that. And I'm not trying to lecture you. Sorry if it seems that way.

I posted this, because I think the banning thing can go to far. As long as nobody is personally attacking you, then let them post all they want about any city they don't like. Some of it is informative and some of it is useless. But nobody said that city-data was the leading source for all cities. You have to take most things with a grain of salt. Personally, I miss some of the members who are now banned. I think the site would be better (or atleast more interesting) with some of them back. If they aren't already under other accounts. I personally wouldn't know how to do that so I better behave. I'm sure just like people themselves, some mods are easier going than others. And some are just plain ole' trigger happy. Not to say some don't deserve to be banned. The ones who constantly argue no matter what and then get nasty and attack. Yes, give them their lashings and if they don't quit-see ya...Other than that live and let live. Otherwise our freedom of what to say is gone and we become communistic..

It reminds me of the world today. We b tch and complain and what happens another law comes into effect making us...well....less free..

Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Look at his post history. He highjacks most threads mentioning Chicago and ruins any chance of intelligent conversation. If you like sifting through bullsh1t to actually find something to talk about that has some cognizant value, that's great for you. I don't.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I think it's just the fact he invades every single thread he can find and then starts belting out the same things over and over. Instead of debating, he just hurls insults, stereotypes and many times just incorrect facts.

After awhile you can't have any rational debate or conversation, because he just floods the responses with the same broken record of hate over and over again until everyone just gives up and leaves.

That's perfectly fine he hates Chicago with a passion, but just say your peace and move on. You don't need to repeat yourself to the same people 50 times in a row. What response are you waiting for? In the real world people would run like hell when they saw a person like that coming their way.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think it's just the fact he invades every single thread he can find and then starts belting out the same things over and over. Instead of debating, he just hurls insults, stereotypes and many times just incorrect facts.

After awhile you can't have any rational debate or conversation, because he just floods the responses with the same broken record of hate over and over again until everyone just gives up and leaves.

That's perfectly fine he hates Chicago with a passion, but just say your peace and move on. You don't need to repeat yourself to the same people 50 times in a row. What response are you waiting for? In the real world people would run like hell when they saw a person like that coming their way.

I agree. And I am not speaking in regards to him or anyone else, but some people have issues. That's all I'm saying.

And to some extent I can see where your coming from. From someone who wouldn't know any better (let's say someone from germany) they might really think Chicago is that bad. Where obviously it isn't. That's where we all have to decide for ourselves on what to take with us and leave the rest behind.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 AM

182 posts, read 454,486 times
nicely said.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
The subway in Chicago is only 12 miles long and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon.
I assume you're only referring to the underground portion of the El, because the entire system is MUCH greater than that. And Metra is an exhaustive commuter rail line. I think both cities have excellent public transit options.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM

182 posts, read 454,486 times
Chicago has a longer Commuter rail service. Its 784.9 km and Toronto GO Transit is only 391km.
Ridership

Chicago: Weekday: 301,200 Weekend: 121,800
GO Trains: Daily: 180,000

There's some AirRail link between Pearson and Union Station under construction.

Last edited by ihos501; 09-17-2011 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City