Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto overtakes Chicago in city proper population.

Toronto’s population overtakes Chicago | Toronto Star
But metro Chicago is still SIGNIFICANTLY bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Which is pretty important. One has to know the history of the city to realize why. The metro area of Chicago has never lost population at any census. A lot of people moved to the suburbs in reality between the 50s and 80s and even 90s. Tons of companies chased the "Housing American Dream" and moved their HQs to the suburbs. Well, the population is turning back now and companies are moving back to the city. Chicago is possibly in the start of another high rise boom (just like Toronto). I believe 3000 residential units are currently going up in "downtown" alone with another maybe 600 outside of it in higher profile projects. Another 7000-10,000 are proposed for the "downtown" area too not to mention another 800 some units for Uptown which was just approved the other day.

A lot of companies have been moving here lately either from out of state or from the suburbs. Most notably, Google is moving their newly purchased Motorola Mobility office from a suburb about 30 miles north of Chicago back to the central area (though Motorola was actually founded on what is today the U of Illinois - Chicago). That's about 3000 employees.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Which is pretty important. One has to know the history of the city to realize why. The metro area of Chicago has never lost population at any census. A lot of people moved to the suburbs in reality between the 50s and 80s and even 90s. Tons of companies chased the "Housing American Dream" and moved their HQs to the suburbs. Well, the population is turning back now and companies are moving back to the city. Chicago is possibly in the start of another high rise boom (just like Toronto). I believe 3000 residential units are currently going up in "downtown" alone with another maybe 600 outside of it in higher profile projects. Another 7000-10,000 are proposed for the "downtown" area too not to mention another 800 some units for Uptown which was just approved the other day.

A lot of companies have been moving here lately either from out of state or from the suburbs. Most notably, Google is moving their newly purchased Motorola Mobility office from a suburb about 30 miles north of Chicago back to the central area (though Motorola was actually founded on what is today the U of Illinois - Chicago). That's about 3000 employees.
Yep. Everything from marketing to power relies more on the MSA. I think Chicago might be passed up by a couple of other places too in terms of city population, but it doesn't mean much.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
How far out do you have to go to realize this SIGNIFICANT difference, i'd say probably pretty far. Besides Metro Toronto using Canadian census and Metro Chicago using U.S census comparison's are not apples to apples comparison. Probably a more accurate comparison would be the golden horsehoe vs Chicagoland.... in which case Chicagoland is bigger but not SIGNIFICANTLY. Regardless, if i'm in Joliet Illinois or Whitby Ontario - i'm not really going to feel as though i'm in Chicago or Toronto......

I'm not surprised Toronto's city proper has overtaken Chicago given the urbanization/densification of the Toronto city core... something I take is not happening in Chicago to the same degree as Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

Last edited by fusion2; 03-05-2013 at 10:57 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 PM

Actually there is no other city in the U.S and Canada that is close to knocking Chicago's 5th place city proper population out. Houston maybe!? and they are a long way off. Toronto and Chicago have been neck and neck for city proper population for some time now with Toronto finally pulling ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Yep. Everything from marketing to power relies more on the MSA. I think Chicago might be passed up by a couple of other places too in terms of city population, but it doesn't mean much.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I'm not surprised Toronto's city proper has overtaken Chicago given the urbanization/densification of the Toronto city core... something I take is not happening in Chicago.
You would be incorrect in your assumption here actually.

First of all, Chicago's core is already dense (not as dense as Manhattan, but still dense), but it's possibly at the start of yet another building boom. There's currently 3000 residential units under construction there with 7000-10,000+ more proposed, but possibly a few thousand more to go under construction within the next half year probably. Not only that but the most recent estimates I've seen is about 5 million more sq feet of office space might be added to the Loop within the next few years.

Companies have been moving their HQ here in the last year either from out of state or from the suburbs (which is why Chicago city lost population awhile ago but its Metro Area never did). Some of these articles list many many companies (i.e. October 2012's article). Most notably is Google moving 3000 employees to "downtown" very soon.
http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/growing

Not only that, but the startup community has been ramping up for awhile. There is an incubator funded by Billionaire JB Prtizker (majority owner of Hyatt Hotels) and a new startup has been formed every 24-48 hours apparently at last count. One of the largest VC funds from Silicon Valley opened up an office in Chicago a few months ago and the city is trying to get one of the fastest internets in the country for the city. The U of Illinois also announced plans to build a new computing lab similar to Bell Labs in Chicago too.

Toronto has been on a tear lately, and before that it was Chicago, but Chicago is starting up again. There's a decent amount of construction going on or construction that will start within the next handful of months.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Actually there is no other city in the U.S and Canada that is close to knocking Chicago's 5th place city proper population out. Houston maybe!? and they are a long way off. Toronto and Chicago have been neck and neck for city proper population for some time now with Toronto finally pulling ahead.
Houston's pretty close yeah. I think Philadelphia will grow also. Until Chicago shows a sign of a bigger growth in the city's proper, I just think it'll be a matter of time.

I'm sure when the economy gets better here, that's when you'll see a larger population growth in the city. Until then, I don't see it.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM

I clearly stated not to the same degree as Toronto. I didn't say Chicago wasn't Dense or densifying please clearly read wht I clearly white and don't highlight a part of what I wrote and based on that incomplete quote state that i'm incorrect when I don't believe I am..

Toronto leading the western world in high highrise development | Toronto Star

I will say again - Chicago proper is not densifying to the same degree as Toronto Proper.. This is why demographics support the fact that Toronto has moved passed Chicago in City proper popuation counts. This isn't something shocking - the writing has been on the wall for almost a decade now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You would be incorrect in your assumption here actually.

First of all, Chicago's core is already dense (not as dense as Manhattan, but still dense), but it's possibly at the start of yet another building boom. There's currently 3000 residential units under construction there with 7000-10,000+ more proposed, but possibly a few thousand more to go under construction within the next half year probably. Not only that but the most recent estimates I've seen is about 5 million more sq feet of office space might be added to the Loop within the next few years.

Companies have been moving their HQ here in the last year either from out of state or from the suburbs (which is why Chicago city lost population awhile ago but its Metro Area never did). Some of these articles list many many companies (i.e. October 2012's article). Most notably is Google moving 3000 employees to "downtown" very soon.
Chicago Growing | World Business Chicago | Economic Development, Chicago, Illinois

Not only that, but the startup community has been ramping up for awhile. There is an incubator funded by Billionaire JB Prtizker (majority owner of Hyatt Hotels) and a new startup has been formed every 24-48 hours apparently at last count. One of the largest VC funds from Silicon Valley opened up an office in Chicago a few months ago and the city is trying to get one of the fastest internets in the country for the city. The U of Illinois also announced plans to build a new computing lab similar to Bell Labs in Chicago too.

Toronto has been on a tear lately, and before that it was Chicago, but Chicago is starting up again. There's a decent amount of construction going on or construction that will start within the next handful of months.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-05-2013 at 11:18 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Houston 2.1 million, Philadelphia 1.8 million...

Chicago and Toronto both north of 2.7 million with Toronto having 89K more. It'll take Houston awhile to match either Chicago or Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Houston's pretty close yeah. I think Philadelphia will grow also. Until Chicago shows a sign of a bigger growth in the city's proper, I just think it'll be a matter of time.

I'm sure when the economy gets better here, that's when you'll see a larger population growth in the city. Until then, I don't see it.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Houston 2.1 million, Philadelphia 1.8 million...

Chicago and Toronto both north of 2.7 million with Toronto having 89K more. It'll take Houston awhile to match either Chicago or Toronto.
Houston's in the top 3 in terms of fastest-growing in the U.S. -- I'm just saying eventually down the road. 25 years is a long time and if nothing changes for Chicago by then, then yes I can see Houston passing Chicago's city population. Philly, yeah, it'll take them even longer if it does indeed happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City