Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Out of these choices, which would you say is or closest to a "real city" in the South?
Miami 46 13.86%
Atlanta 57 17.17%
Charlotte 11 3.31%
New Orleans 104 31.33%
Nashville 12 3.61%
Dallas (JUST Dallas and not the rest of the Metroplex) 33 9.94%
Houston 35 10.54%
Austin 11 3.31%
other 23 6.93%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:15 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

New Orleans and Miami

the rest are not real cities. Atlanta kinda but not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 07:50 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New Orleans and Miami

the rest are not real cities. Atlanta kinda but not really.
I’d give Atlanta the edge over Miami. Downtown and Midtown Atlanta could fit well at home in any of the major Northern cities. Downtown Miami and Brickell still feel small and don’t give much of a sense of being in a large urban area.

That said, they are ALL “real cities.” Just developed very differently.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:53 AM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
New Orleans for sure. Historically it was one of the largest cities in the country at the same time that many Northeastern cities were growing and developing. The city is compact with dense housing, very unlike most Sunbelt cities.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
In terms of "traditional urbanity" in the South, it's New Orleans by far - not even close. The urban vernacular is rather low-slung, but it's a very tight city on the street level, with small lots and numerous walkable business districts.

After that, Charleston and Savannah have nice traditional urban areas around downtown, but they are much smaller cities - and feel like it. Richmond and Louisville are undersung in terms of their traditional urban core as well.

There's nothing else I've seen in the South which resembles a traditional urban neighborhood. The norm is much more that once you leave the downtown commercial area (whether full of new-construction buildings or charming historic ones) you transition straight to detached single-family homes, without any "middle density" residential communities worth mentioning.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In terms of "traditional urbanity" in the South, it's New Orleans by far - not even close. The urban vernacular is rather low-slung, but it's a very tight city on the street level, with small lots and numerous walkable business districts.

After that, Charleston and Savannah have nice traditional urban areas around downtown, but they are much smaller cities - and feel like it. Richmond and Louisville are undersung in terms of their traditional urban core as well.

There's nothing else I've seen in the South which resembles a traditional urban neighborhood. The norm is much more that once you leave the downtown commercial area (whether full of new-construction buildings or charming historic ones) you transition straight to detached single-family homes, without any "middle density" residential communities worth mentioning.
I'd argue that Richmond is as, if not more urban than New Orleans.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:12 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'd argue that Richmond is as, if not more urban than New Orleans.
The vernacular is more urban (since it's rowhouses and near-rowhouses, which New Orleans really only has in parts of the French Quarter) but the overall size of the intact 19th century core is I think somewhat smaller overall.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:22 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The vernacular is more urban (since it's rowhouses and near-rowhouses, which New Orleans really only has in parts of the French Quarter) but the overall size of the intact 19th century core is I think somewhat smaller overall.
New Orleans has a land area of 169 sq/mi. Richmond's is 62 sq/mi. It would reason that Richmond has the smaller urban core, but I don't think it's less urban, on any level.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,031 times
Richmond is a real city in the south by northern standards - it's why I moved here from Boston. I've lived in Miami, it isn't a real city by my Yankee standards. In fact, I wouldn't say any of the rest but New Orleans count, though I really like a lot of things about Austin. But not enough neighborhoods without yards...

Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I’d give Atlanta the edge over Miami. Downtown and Midtown Atlanta could fit well at home in any of the major Northern cities. Downtown Miami and Brickell still feel small and don’t give much of a sense of being in a large urban area.

That said, they are ALL “real cities.” Just developed very differently.
Miamis density is 12,604 poeple per square mile. Its more densely densely populated as Philadelphia and Washington DC. Southern folks always want to talk MSA, but in the north we talk City proper. City proper Miami is a real city

Atlanta's density is 3,547 people per square mile. The same as many suburban towns in the north.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:16 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
This is such a hilariously pretentious thread. "Real" cities in the South, based on "northern standards". LOL! Sorry, but a city (oh, excuse me........"real city", I guess as opposed to a "fake" city. Who knows, lol) doesn't have to have residents living together like sardines and "encouraged" to live a car free lifestyle, both resulting in insane costs of living in order to be piously considered by others narrow definitions as "real".

Gosh, I was thinking all of these years that I was actually living in a real city! I mean, dang! I feel so......so enlightened now. Being saved from one's blissful ignorance by others much more worldly than I is so empowering and freeing. I mean.......thank you................and "bless your hearts"...........

LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City