Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Totally disagree with you there. I've spent a lot of time in both Tahoe and Whistler, and I prefer Tahoe. Both are world-class, both are among the best in North America. I could see a strong argument for either
Tahoe just offers more resorts but none of which can stack up against Whistler/Blackcomb. Quantity over quality when it comes to Tahoe. And have you ever been to Colorado? Tahoe is way overpriced today for what it is. Many charge nearly the same rates as some of the best CO resorts but are much smaller and the quality of snow is not as great. "Sierra Cement" isn't a positive term for snow quality when it comes to skiing. There is a reason why Tahoe isn't mentioned up there with Colorado resorts and Whistler as well as Utah. And the villages they have are much nicer than anything in Tahoe, better nightlife and all around options as well. I was actually pretty impressed with the public transit at the CO resorts too.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
supermanpansy, Dt. San Jose indeed can take on Manhattan no problemo! Manhattan doesn't have a downtown like I said many times. Therefore, Manhattan doesn't even count. This thread is between San Jose and Vancouver. I've been to both cities many times. Dt. Vancouver is perfect for you since it's gritty and inflicted with all the urban ills you can imagine. I only like the West End and just maybe a small part of downtown on Robson St. and Burrard St. West. The rest is your type where there are drugs, homeless, thugs and prostitution running the street of Dt. Vancouver. It's really gross with all those same bland condo/apt towering over the rotten core. Man, just head to Granville and enjoy the Granville Market and stay away from grimes. Downtown SJ is way better than Dt. Vancouver, and you're right! It's not in the same league. Other than the library, theaters and shopping on Robson and nearby streets(Pacific Mall), there's nothing to do in downtown V. The Gastown is so sticken with drugs and crimes that it's not worth putting their nightlife there which is a lackluster. Downtown SJ rules. San Jose is so much a better city than Vancouver since it's the Capital of Silicon Valley and the pop. is about 1 million with the second best transportation system in America. The city has a new shiny futuristic airport. I still love Santana Row, which Vancouver doesn't have an answer to that. The only thing Vancouver has better than SJ is its hockey team and the natural scenery. Wait, Saratoga and Los Gatos have better scenery than Vancouver and just 9 miles southwest of San Jose. San Jose wins hands down!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
supermanpansy, Dt. San Jose indeed can take on Manhattan no problemo! Manhattan doesn't have a downtown like I said many times. Therefore, Manhattan doesn't even count. This thread is between San Jose and Vancouver. I've been to both cities many times. Dt. Vancouver is perfect for you since it's gritty and inflicted with all the urban ills you can imagine. I only like the West End and just maybe a small part of downtown on Robson St. and Burrard St. West. The rest is your type where there are drugs, homeless, thugs and prostitution running the street of Dt. Vancouver. It's really gross with all those same bland condo/apt towering over the rotten core. Man, just head to Granville and enjoy the Granville Market and stay away from grimes. Downtown SJ is way better than Dt. Vancouver, and you're right! It's not in the same league. Other than the library, theaters and shopping on Robson and nearby streets(Pacific Mall), there's nothing to do in downtown V. The Gastown is so sticken with drugs and crimes that it's not worth putting their nightlife there which is a lackluster. Downtown SJ rules. San Jose is so much a better city than Vancouver since it's the Capital of Silicon Valley and the pop. is about 1 million with the second best transportation system in America. The city has a new shiny futuristic airport. I still love Santana Row, which Vancouver doesn't have an answer to that. The only thing Vancouver has better than SJ is its hockey team and the natural scenery. Wait, Saratoga and Los Gatos have better scenery than Vancouver and just 9 miles southwest of San Jose. San Jose wins hands down!

Finally someone was paying attention. Thank you Durf for pointing out my likes and dislikes. Although it torments me to admit this, but these are all things that I like. I bolded them for the viewer with less than stellar eyesight, like myself.

You did do your homework this time Durf; however, I still disagree with your premise. Dt San Jose aint got nothing on Vancouver. The reason San Jose is so clean is because there are never any people there. The video I saw had like one person every ten feet.. That's a staggering amount of foot traffic. After I watched 2 minutes of a phone booth and trolley, I gained the neccessary amount of courage it took to go on another 33 seconds to watch the rest. I was very dissapointed. That place looked so clean your HIV infected friend can eat off the sidewalk. That place gives me the creeps. They need to send the FBI down there to San Jose to see what's up. Maybe it's an experiment. Maybe it's the water. We don't really know what's going on there at this moment but we think we got a sighting of more than ten people on one block. There has been mass hysteria and what one witness named Helen says, "it was like crazy down there. I went to starbucks expecting a grande- black, but was shocked to see that they went out of business. I mean who doesn't love coffee",...then things got weirder she explains. "All the sudden I saw almost ten people on one side of the street." I knew then that something had to be done. dt San Jose never has ten people on any given street."

So she said that she called her father and her dad told her to get in the basement and lock it. He'd be over to secure the bunker.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
my gf has told me that vancouver was the most beautiful city she's ever been to in north america.

obviously some would disagree.

me? i've personally never been to vancouver, but i have been to san jose. it was far from ugly but never once was i like amazed by it's beauty... or even impressed really.

doesn't mean that overall san jose isn't better than vancouver... but that's certainly a big plus for vancouver.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
-quality of life: I like Vancouver, but the field I work in means San Jose gives me more opportunities--I still reckon I'd prefer Vancouver though because I like living in places where driving is very much optional

-transit: Vancouver by a very large margin.

-density: Vancouver

-shopping: Vancouver? Don't really know

-culture: This is a tie, they both have various cultures within their cities that I like

-outdoor and recreational opportunities: Generally Vancouver if we're talking about the immediate area

-international and overseas flight connections: Er, pretty tied, I guess

-etc.: I like Vancouver a lot. I prefer the weather in San Jose. I'd prefer Seattle, SF, and Oakland to either of the two.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 AM

70 posts, read 132,417 times
I lived in Downtown Vancouver for a few months (right on Robson and Cardero) and how anyone could not absolutely ADORE that city is beyond me. Vancouver is so nice it gives me warm fuzzies just thinking about it. And it has the greatest downtown I've ever seen.

I'm from California and San Jose screams booooooooooooring (and that SJ Downtown video was terrible)

Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopcr View Post
I lived in Downtown Vancouver for a few months (right on Robson and Cardero) and how anyone could not absolutely ADORE that city is beyond me. Vancouver is so nice it gives me warm fuzzies just thinking about it. And it has the greatest downtown I've ever seen.

I'm from California and San Jose screams booooooooooooring (and that SJ Downtown video was terrible)

I like your assessment, I do I do. But remember the last few posts have really showed how unalike these cities are. And uncomparible as well. We have to slow down with it, because of an unnamed individual who regardless of his opinions I actually like. And for anonymity sake, I would never mention who, but it starts with a D and rhymes with smurf. Someone needs to check in on him and fast, time is of the essence. Because after this post he's most likely to be in a trauma unit at any moment, being talked out of suicide. I hope he gets well soon. My hopes and prayers are with you.

Ignore these posts my friend. Do what you always do, or did you forget? Don't worry, because of the circumstances, I will remind you.

Remember how it goes. Just close your eyes and say to yourself over and over, San Jose is the greatest city on the planet and no other downtown can touch it. San Jose is the greatest city and no other downtown can touch it. You keep saying that my friend until you tire out and hopefully fall into a deep calm sleep. If you have read these recent posts, my prayers are with you. Don't do anything stupid..You do matter. People do care. Life is worth it...

Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopcr View Post
I'm from California and San Jose screams booooooooooooring
Maybe your CA corner was boring but another new Billionaire was minted in San Jose yesterday.

LinkedIn's Hoffman Has $1.8 Billion Stake Following IPO - The Washington Post

So you can keep your cutesy yet unimportant sidewalks and San Jose will continue to be a major force on the global financial markets.

Boring indeed.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM

70 posts, read 132,417 times
I didn't say the city is not a major financial force... but having a bunch of Fortune 500 companies headquartered there means nothing when it comes to how exciting or how cool it is.

If I'm gonna spend a week in Vancouver or San Jose it's not even a question.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
I guess San Jose, since i'm in IT, and would find better opportunities. Vancouver is a more exiting and livelier city though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City