Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I like your assessment, I do I do. But remember the last few posts have really showed how unalike these cities are. And uncomparible as well. We have to slow down with it, because of an unnamed individual who regardless of his opinions I actually like. And for anonymity sake, I would never mention who, but it starts with a D and rhymes with smurf. Someone needs to check in on him and fast, time is of the essence. Because after this post he's most likely to be in a trauma unit at any moment, being talked out of suicide. I hope he gets well soon. My hopes and prayers are with you.

Ignore these posts my friend. Do what you always do, or did you forget? Don't worry, because of the circumstances, I will remind you.

Remember how it goes. Just close your eyes and say to yourself over and over, San Jose is the greatest city on the planet and no other downtown can touch it. San Jose is the greatest city and no other downtown can touch it. You keep saying that my friend until you tire out and hopefully fall into a deep calm sleep. If you have read these recent posts, my prayers are with you. Don't do anything stupid..You do matter. People do care. Life is worth it...
It's sad that you wrote all that just to troll a troll. Get a grip on your life.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopcr View Post
I didn't say the city is not a major financial force... but having a bunch of Fortune 500 companies headquartered there means nothing when it comes to how exciting or how cool it is.
Once again, coolness is subjective.

Some people find developing products that change the world and making a ton of money in the process to be very 'cool'.

LOL.

Quote:
If I'm gonna spend a week in Vancouver or San Jose it's not even a question.
Me too.

But to live?? San Jose by a country mile.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 PM

199 posts, read 355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopcr View Post
I lived in Downtown Vancouver for a few months (right on Robson and Cardero) and how anyone could not absolutely ADORE that city is beyond me. Vancouver is so nice it gives me warm fuzzies just thinking about it. And it has the greatest downtown I've ever seen.

I'm from California and San Jose screams booooooooooooring (and that SJ Downtown video was terrible)
There we go. I met someone this girl who grew up in San Jose when I was travelling in Amsterdam 8 or 9 years ago, and she told me how boring it was.

I keep asking for the San Jose boosters to post some pictures showing us this great city. Come on, give us something.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
I keep asking for the San Jose boosters to post some pictures showing us this great city. Come on, give us something.
And We've been waiting for you to justify this comparison because you already know these are two vastly different kinds of cities.

You already know that. Yet for at least a second time, you create a thread asking us to choose between Vancouver vs another city only asking for criteria you know favor Vancouver.

Except San Jose is not Jacksonville and it turns out, Vancouver gets mollywhopped by San Jose in many key criteria that matter to lots of folks.

Its all quite fitting really.

fyi:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...p&defid=256188

Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM

199 posts, read 355,125 times
I don't have to "justify this comparison". This forum is for random comparisons. That's what every thread here is. Like I said before, if I think a comparison is stupid or silly, 9 out of 10 times I don't open it, and even if I do open it, I just don't post in it.

Forget the "why", and convince us with pictures that San Jose is a great place.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
I don't have to "justify this comparison".
And we don't have to show you pictures. Hello?

Quote:
Forget the "why", and convince us with pictures that San Jose is a great place.
Don't take my word for it. Take Yuri Milner's word. He's the Russian billionaire who plopped down $100 Million for this house in Los Altos Hills.

Furthermore, Convince us with hard stats that its worthwhile for an Ivy League grad to move to Vancouver over Silicon Valley?

For that matter, why would someone in their right mind pick any school in British Columbia over Stanford?

That would be insanity.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Any picture posted will be met with the same disdain because you've made up your minds that you're mad at durf, who was recently exposed as a flip-flopping troll over at SSC.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:47 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

For that matter, why would someone in their right mind pick any school in British Columbia over Stanford?
$$$

Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Hiphopcr, you've been to both cities. Isn't Dt. San Jose much nicer than Dt. Vancouver's where it's plagued with urban ills, while Dt. San Jose is not. I like the Paseo walkway and the plaza park in Dt. San Jose. How about San Pedro Sq. restaurant row? First and Second st. are very pretty. Even the condo towers are more modern than Vancouver's like the Axis. You got to like the Tech Museum and city's new and beautiful city hall. If you been to both, please be honest. I have. As for Vancouver, I like the Granville Market, which is not downtown. I like the mountains and the water surrounding Vancouver. I also like the West End and the Stanley Park, too. As for downtown, only Robson and Burrard west. The rest of downtown is boring and alot of it is ridden with drugs and prostitution. Don't say I'm wrong because I was there 2 years ago. Oh, I do like the Vancouver Library, but San Jose also has the library, too, which is just as nice or even better.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And we don't have to show you pictures. Hello?

Don't take my word for it. Take Yuri Milner's word. He's the Russian billionaire who plopped down $100 Million for this house in Los Altos Hills.

Furthermore, Convince us with hard stats that its worthwhile for an Ivy League grad to move to Vancouver over Silicon Valley?

That would be insanity.
I understand being very wealthy is great. Fantastic. San Jose's economy is certainly a feather in its cap. However, I don't see how that necessarily translates into San Jose being a more fun or more vibrant city for everyone. As for picking Vancouver over Silicon Valley, it might be that an Ivy League graduate gets a better offer in Vancouver than he's found in Silicon Valley. Vancouver does have a vibrant though far smaller software development community.

Also, there's film production. That's neat.

Meanwhile, the school thing is kind of silly. At the level of actual graduate research where things are interesting, it'll depend on the type of research you're interested in. UBC and Simon Frasier are both great universities, and depending on what specifically you're studying, might be a more sensible choice than Stanford or Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City