Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 AM

199 posts, read 355,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If it is equally easy or difficult, I believe the vast majority of those immigrants will choose San Jose or somewhere else in the US over Vancouver, seriously.
Well, they aren't. Vancouver is a FAR higher percentage foreign born than San Jose. And if you exclude Mexicans, who are mostly poor, the disparity is even larger.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Vancouver is FAR more relevant than San Jose. Just in the last 25 years, Vancouver has hosted:

Expo 86
Vancouver Open (PGA tournament)
Canadian Open (PGA tournament)
Vancouver Molson Indy
G8 Conference (1993)
World Curling Championships
World Junior Hockey Championships
World Figure Skating Championships
Winter Olympics......

just off the top of my head.
Seriously, this is cute but reaks of low self esteem.

Quote:
How many major international events (sporting or otherwise) has San Jose hosted in that time?
I dont know, but dozens of countries have businesses offices in San Jose specifically because they want to harness Silicon Valley's unparalleled innovation and recreate it in their homelands.

Hence the term "Silicon Valley of _____________(insert country name here)."

On the other hand, nobody is setting up offices in Vancouver to copy anything that is happening there. Sorry.

Quote:
Vancouver is also a major financial centre.
The Bay Area is the premier financial center for the western half of North America. Sorry.

Quote:
For decades it was home to the Vancouver Stock Exchange, which is now part of the Canadian Ventures Exchange IIRC.
3 San Jose companies(Cisco, Intel and HP) are part of the Dow Jones 30.

Those 3 companies have a bigger impact on the global markets than all the publically traded companies in British Columbia combined.

And then there are the others massive companies that call San Jose home.

Sorry.

Quote:
The average single family house price is now over $1 million. That wouldn't be possible if salaries were low.
Median Family Income, 2008
San Jose MSA $103,164
Vancouver CMA $68,670

LOL.

Quote:
Yes, there are rich out-of-town investors that buy Vancouver homes, but they only account for a miniscule percentage of all home buyers.
The Bay Area has a far larger proportion and number of rich people. Sorry.

Quote:
Vancouver is also a major international tourist destination. There are more than 12,000 hotel rooms in the 2 square mile downtown ALONE. That's more than the entire city of San Jose.
Much of Vancouver's vibrancy misses the mark.

By Don Cayo

Read More: http://www.vancouversun.com/Opinion+...#ixzz1NHxOnGrl

Vancouver coasts on its beauty, but misses out on creating vibrant city life

Quote:
Vancouver coasts on its natural assets, too rarely learning from other cities that do more with less, says Michael Goldberg, a professor emeritus at University of B.C.'s Sauder School of Business and an outspoken critic of urban planning and development. "Great cities are about street-level experiences," he told me over the lunch the other day -at a table near the window of a pleasant little eatery, a spot I chose because there was no functioning outdoor patio this time of year on this section of busy Robson Street. "But we [in Vancouver] rely excessively on being beautiful and being next to nature. All our planning tends to focus outward toward the views, and there has been no attention to the street-level experience for people. "You might as well be living in a hotel in Banff."

- What Vancouver needs to do, Goldberg said, is take lessons from other places that have made themselves far more vibrant. Places as diverse as Milan and Melbourne, Singapore and Seoul. Indeed, he even mentions -and this is embarrassing to me as a Vancouverite -Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Winnipeg as places that do better than us, at least in some ways. From the Canadian cities on his list, he said, we should learn from their world-leading experience in creating "winter cities" -vibrant urban cores that are well protected from the elements. "It has been known to rain here," he observes dryly. "Yet we've paid no attention to building underground passageways among shopping centres -Pacific Centre and Bentall Centre, for example."

- Nor does Vancouver have arcades -those functional, often wonderful midblock connectors that have been centrepieces of downtowns in Europe and elsewhere for 200 years or more. "It would make it much more user friendly, because our blocks are quite long. And it creates retail space, it creates life, weather protection, a whole bunch of things." Similarly, we need pedestrian-only streets and squares, and pedestrian bridges to link now-separate neighbourhoods like the north and the south sides of False Creek.

- "This is bold planning," he said. "But we don't do bold planning." The city has done a good job of protecting and enhancing the often spectacular views along much of its waterfront, he said, but then it tightly limits what people can do there. Permits for outdoor patios, to mention just one thing, are extremely difficult to obtain. "I look at the park where I live at Coal Harbour. Why not use the first 30 or 40 feet of grass -cover it over with retail opportunities, use part of the walkway for chairs where people can sit out and drink and eat and enjoy themselves? "The same thing at False Creek. There are beautiful opportunities to build retail right out onto the waterfront so people can stroll and stop for a beer. "The view of city planners is that a park means walking. It's somebody's preconception."

Quote:
One can fly nonstop from Vancouver International to international destinations all over the world.
The Bay Area has 3 international airports--we've already had this discussion. Odd.

LOL.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 06-14-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Well, they aren't. Vancouver is a FAR higher percentage foreign born than San Jose. And if you exclude Mexicans, who are mostly poor, the disparity is even larger.
Actually Vancouver is mostly poor compared to San Jose.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Vancouver is a really nice city, except for that cruddy area near china town.

San Jose has a good economy, but no one cares. It is easily lowest vibrancy city I have ever seen in my life.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
San Jose has a good economy, but no one cares. It is easily lowest vibrancy city I have ever seen in my life.
Actually vibrancy is distant 2nd(more like 10th) to a good job with great pay.

What nonsense.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually vibrancy is distant 2nd(more like 10th) to a good job with great pay.

What nonsense.

The great pay is merely to compensate for the high cost of living. How much is a modest 2000 sq foot house there, 3 million???

You can try to paint it any way you want to, but hardly anyone visits San Jose for leisure. In fact, people from San Jose tend to leave San Jose for leisure.

Not the case for Vancouver. I'd rather enjoy vibrancy after work instead of facebook.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
The great pay is merely to compensate for the high cost of living. How much is a modest 2000 sq foot house there, 3 million???
Actually San Jose is cheaper than Vancouver.

FAIL.

Quote:
You can try to paint it any way you want to, but hardly anyone visits San Jose for leisure. In fact, people from San Jose tend to leave San Jose for leisure.
Yes, most of the time they drive to San Francisco, or the Napa Valley or Santa Cruz or Monterey/Pebble Beach. All in the immediate Bay Area.

Its tough in paradise.

Quote:
Not the case for Vancouver. I'd rather enjoy vibrancy after work instead of facebook.
Facebook has nearly 700 Million users.

Bad analogy.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Actually San Jose is cheaper than

Yes, most of the time they drive to San Francisco, or the Napa Valley or Santa Cruz or Monterey/Pebble Beach. All in the immediate Bay Area.

Its tough in paradise.

Facebook has nearly 700 Million users.

Bad analogy.

Exactly there is nothing to do in San Jose except go some where else. Again, this is why no body cares about San Jose. You can talk about 700 million people on facebook all you want. It's not going to equate to San Jose vibrancy. Just a bunch of techies with nothing to do.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Exactly there is nothing to do in San Jose except go some where else. Again, this is why no body cares about San Jose.
Actually many people with ambition and drive care a lot about San Jose.

Its the unimportant boobs who have no life except pretending to be hipsters(ick) that would feel otherwise.

Quote:
You can talk about 700 million people on facebook all you want. It's not going to equate to San Jose vibrancy. Just a bunch of techies with nothing to do.
LOL...except enjoy the unparalleled life the Bay Area offers.

I know that must sting but oh well, move on.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Actually many people with ambition and drive care a lot about San Jose.

Its the unimportant boobs who have no life except pretending to be hipsters(ick) that would feel otherwise.

LOL...except enjoy the unparalleled life the Bay Area offers.

I know that must sting but oh well, move on.
LoL@ some one in the bay trying to lecture about hipsters. Didn't hipsters come from there?

Yea it stings us all that we are not in San Jose, I mean everyone is just dying to be there. I mean who wouldn't want to party in a city where the locals all want to get out of dodge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City