Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 PM

93,417 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
In some California cities like Daly City for example, Asians make up 56% of the population. There is not a single city in the state of New York where the percentage of Asians is that high. So California wins by a landslide.
Yes, but since NYC makes up a large portion of the population, you can find areas of the city that are up there.

Also, in NY outside of NYC, you can find areas with growing Asian populations. For instance, Syracuse's Northside has been a magnet for refugees/immigrants from SE Asia, as well as South Asian countries like Bhutan and Burma. I believe that Asians makeup 24% of the people in the 2 main zip codes of Syracuse's Northside. Cities like Binghamton and Utica have had noticeable SE Asian communities for a while now. Many Asians in Upstate NY live in affluent or upper middle class suburbs like Vestal, Pittsford, Brighton, Manlius(village), Williamsville, Loudonville, Latham, New Hartford and a few others. So, there has been an increase in other parts of NY too.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
N

Yes, but since NYC makes up a large portion of the population, you can find areas of the city that are up there.

Also, in NY outside of NYC, you can find areas with growing Asian populations. For instance, Syracuse's Northside has been a magnet for refugees/immigrants from SE Asia, as well as South Asian countries like Bhutan and Burma. I believe that Asians makeup 24% of the people in the 2 main zip codes of Syracuse's Northside. Cities like Binghamton and Utica have had noticeable SE Asian communities for a while now. Many Asians in Upstate NY live in affluent or upper middle class suburbs like Vestal, Pittsford, Brighton, Manlius(village), Williamsville, Loudonville, Latham, New Hartford and a few others. So, there has been an increase in other parts of NY too.
But none of them come close to reaching a 56% Asian population like Daly City.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
I suppose the problem is that Asians are continually coming in, so the established Asian community keeps getting diluted. Here Asian people with actual Australian accents seem the minority, so people will always see us as 'foreigners' in a way. I don't identify with any group myself, but it's annoying when others do. . Some, not all, you can usually pick the types.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I suppose the problem is that Asians are continually coming in, so the established Asian community keeps getting diluted. Here Asian people with actual Australian accents seem the minority, so people will always see us as 'foreigners' in a way. I don't identify with any group myself, but it's annoying when others do. . Some, not all, you can usually pick the types.
Come up here, then... most people will be thrilled by your Aussie accent, no matter what race you are! And again, plenty of Asian Americans - especially the younger ones - don't have an accent. I work with one who has an "OMG!!!" Valley Girl accent, if that counts

Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
N

Sounds like California 50 years ago

Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 PM

93,417 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
But none of them come close to reaching a 56% Asian population like Daly City.
My initial point is that a neighborhood in NYC probably does and is probably as big as Daly City. I know a community in Upstate isn't that high. I think the community with the highest percentage of Asians in Upstate NY is the village of Lansing at around 25%. I did find that the Census Designated Place of Forest Home is 40% Asian. Both are just outside of Ithaca.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Yeah, its thats same mind set that fuels some "birthers". You know, its not really America so it doesn't count.
For a second I was scared I'd offended, but then I saw the winking face.

Yeah obviously Hawaii is American. On questions like this though they are such a big outlier on "percent Asian" that it almost makes since not to bring them up.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Come up here, then... most people will be thrilled by your Aussie accent, no matter what race you are! And again, plenty of Asian Americans - especially the younger ones - don't have an accent. I work with one who has an "OMG!!!" Valley Girl accent, if that counts
In exactly one week I will touch down in LAX, my first trip to the States or the Western Hemisphere, accent and all .

I imagine some might at first not connect me with the 'stereotype' they imagine, but Australia is a diverse immigrant nation like the States.

I'm particularly looking forward to the South, to see if it's really like how it's portrayed. Although LA and NY will be no less of a 'culture shock' for a non-American.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 PM

914 posts, read 1,087,062 times
I think NYC has a higher percentage of FOBs, but I could be wrong though lol. I know places like SF have tons of FOBs.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 PM

929 posts, read 1,904,939 times
Quote:
Well, here are some proportional numbers to consider:

California: 13.0% Asian Alone
Of which

Asian Indian: 1.4% of the population (528,176)
Chinese: 3.4% of the population (1,253,102)
Filipino: 3.2% of the population (1,195,180)
Japanese: 0.7% of the population (275,528)
Korean: 1.2% of the population (451,892)
Vietnamese: 1.6% of the population (581,496)
Other Asian: 1.6% of the population (577,783)

New York: 7.3% Asian Alone
Of Which

Asian Indian: 1.6% of the population (313,620)
Chinese: 3.0% of the population (576,952)
Filipino: 0.5% of the population (104,287)
Japanese: 0.2% of the population (37,780)
Korean: 0.7% of the population (140,994)
Vietnamese: 0.1% of the population (28,764)
Other Asian: 1.1% of the population (217,847)

Proportionally, Indians (and other South Asians) make up a slightly larger percentage of NY's total population than they do here in California. Chinese Americans are beginning to catch up in terms of percentage (3.0% vs. 3.4%) and could surpass CA by this decade if all things remain the same.
Do you happen to have the proportional representations of the various Asian nationalities/nationality clusters for the Bay Area, Tri-State Area and Los Angeles MSA or do you just have it for CA and NY?

NYC's Asian population is similar to Toronto's, in that it's largely South Asian and Chinese (though Toronto's is proportionally about twice to three times as large). Sure there are sizable Filipino and Korean populations as well, but neither NYC nor Toronto has the kaleidoscopic representation of Asian nationalities that you find in Los Angeles and the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City