Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times

Advertisements

Diversity is a good thing. However, America is basically a western nation. You don't need cities that are 30 to 50% Asian.

Nobody complains about the lack of Asian diversity in the NYC metro area, which is certainly enough.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,478,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Disagree with what? Of course, California is more Asian. It has to be, almost by default just due to its location.

Having said that, there's more than enough Asians in the NYC area to have plenty of Asian neighborhoods and Asian diversity.

There's way more Asian cultural diversity in the NYC area than there is European cultural diversity anywhere in California. Think about that. ;-)
Ahh, there it is. Feel better now, big guy?

Let me "think about it." Of course there is way more Euro cultural diversity in the NYC area. It has to be, almost by default just due to its location.

Having said that, Asia is a much more populous and diverse continent than Europe making California's exponentially more diverse Asian population that much more impressive, and there's more than enough representation of European culture out here in CA to have us covered. So suck on that lol.

I knew this thread couldn't endure w/o some butthurt East Coast boosters coming through and attempting to find some equalizer rather than simply show some respect and have a healthy discussion. Man you all are pathetic.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
south asian comparison is weak

central NJ alone > Cali

lancaster doesn't cut it - lol
Wth are you even talking about lol? What stats are you going off? Both CA and NYC have around 600,000 Indians each, NYC having more Pakistanis and CA having more Afghans. Nepalese is unclear but there are only like 2-3,000 in the entire US spread across like 10 or 12 states, and I believe there are more Bangladeshis in CA IIRC. There may be more Sri Lankans in NYC area but I haven't seen anything saying one way or another. So exactly what info are you going off? Or are you just talking out your a$$ like usual?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,193 times
I have an Asian American friend who experienced culture shock when he traveled around the country in his car last summer. He was surprised to find out most of the U.S has so few Asians. Like when he would go inside a Walmart in Missouri and be the only Asian person there. Or go to a diner in Kentucky and be the only Asian person there. The heartland of America is not very Asian.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 PM

929 posts, read 1,904,939 times
I think the biggest difference between East Coast Asians (NYC+suburbs suburbs, DC suburbs and Boston+suburbs/Philadelphia+suburbs to an extent) and West Coast Asians (mainly in CA and WA state) is that those on the West Coast are much more representative of the population at large (run the gamut from blue collar to white collar, prominent in pop culture/music/sports, etc), but those on the East Coast tend to be either white collar professionals, restaurant workers/owners or small business owners. In California, individuals of Asian descent are a more representative cross section of society at-large.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
California FTW
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Really, I think it's at the 25-30% mark when the asian "flavor" becomes is tangible. Less than that means the city just has lots of asians.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
In the state of California you will not find any large or medium sized city where the percentage of Asians is only in the single digits meaning less than 10%.
Exactly.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
cool stats

pffft

I've spent time in LA and SF . i might as well be hanging out in Cincinatti

Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Diversity is a good thing. However, America is basically a western nation. You don't need cities that are 30 to 50% Asian.

Nobody complains about the lack of Asian diversity in the NYC metro area, which is certainly enough.
Nor do you need cities that are 30 to 50% Euro, or black or Hispanic, do you? But I don't see you taking issue with NYC's 30+% white or Hispanic population, so what gives? Or is it simply Asians you prefer to see less of b/c that's the way the East Coast does?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
cool stats

pffft

I've spent time in LA and SF . i might as well be hanging out in Cincinatti
Ahh there goes the classic East Coast "I having nothing to back up what I say so I'll just state my opinion as fact" cop out! Thanks for playing, and for keeping things consistent.

I seem to recall your expertise on South Asians in CA as "thinking you were the only Indian guy on the entire West Coast" b/c you didn't see any other Indians around Union Square one day LMFAO.

pffft indeed!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I think the biggest difference between East Coast Asians (NYC+suburbs suburbs, DC suburbs and Boston+suburbs/Philadelphia+suburbs to an extent) and West Coast Asians (mainly in CA and WA state) is that those on the West Coast are much more representative of the population at large (run the gamut from blue collar to white collar, prominent in pop culture/music/sports, etc), but those on the East Coast tend to be either white collar professionals, restaurant workers/owners or small business owners. In California, individuals of Asian descent are a more representative cross section of society at-large.
I agree. Well-stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City