Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
California in every way, except that New York has more South Asians than L.A. (don't know about the bay area)
i was about to say,

but nj/ny dominate in the s. asian world

its pathetic comparing cali to anything. that state takes up 90% of the entire west coast

Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,079 times
Quote:
Agreed. When I was living out there and going to school at Brooklyn Tech (another really Asian place in NYC)
I think that in all areas with even a somewhat sizable Asian demographic (>7%), Asians are an enormous presence in math/sci/tech magnet schools. In the DC area, Montgomery Blair High School's Math/Sci magnet program is 57% Asian (Montgomery County, MD is only 14% Asian), and Thomas Jefferson High School for Sci&Tech is 45% Asian (Fairfax County, VA is only 18% Asian. Other Examples include the Illinois Math and Science Academy, which is 40% (Illinois is only 5% Asian with larger concentrations in the Chicago suburbs) and the North Carolina School of Science and Math, which is 33% Asian (North Carolina is less than 3% Asian with larger concentrations in the Research Triangle and Charlotte). Closer to you, Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Hunter College HS are all majority Asian.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Well, here are some proportional numbers to consider:

California: 13.0% Asian Alone
Of which

Asian Indian: 1.4% of the population (528,176)
Chinese: 3.4% of the population (1,253,102)
Filipino: 3.2% of the population (1,195,180)
Japanese: 0.7% of the population (275,528)
Korean: 1.2% of the population (451,892)
Vietnamese: 1.6% of the population (581,496)
Other Asian: 1.6% of the population (577,783)

New York: 7.3% Asian Alone
Of Which

Asian Indian: 1.6% of the population (313,620)
Chinese: 3.0% of the population (576,952)
Filipino: 0.5% of the population (104,287)
Japanese: 0.2% of the population (37,780)
Korean: 0.7% of the population (140,994)
Vietnamese: 0.1% of the population (28,764)
Other Asian: 1.1% of the population (217,847)

Proportionally, Indians (and other South Asians) make up a slightly larger percentage of NY's total population than they do here in California. Chinese Americans are beginning to catch up in terms of percentage (3.0% vs. 3.4%) and could surpass CA by this decade if all things remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
While I'll agree that the NYC area has a much more prominent South Asian population than all of Southern California, Socal has a much more prominent Southeast Asian population. The Bay Area has a South Asian population that's proportionally comparable if not proportionally larger (as a proportion of the total population of the metro area) than the Tri-State area; the Bay Area also has a very prominent Southeast Asian demographic.
In the Bay Area, Asians vie for the spot as the largest minority group. In the Los Angeles area, Asians are the 2nd largest minority group. However, in the NYC area, Asians are by far the smallest minority group.
Its weird, but if things remain on the same trend as they are now, San Francisco could have an Asian plurality by the end of this decade (right now its 33% Asian, compared to 41% Non-Hispanic White), with San Jose not too far behind (its 32% Asian, with Non-Hispanic Whites being at 28% and Hispanics at 33%). It all really depends on immigration trends in the next few years.

However, Asian neighborhoods in NYC themselves have been expanding, especially in Queens. I haven't been out there since 2004, but it seems that more and more of the area around Flushing is gaining an Asian majority, with an increasing area in Brooklyn (especially around Sunset park) that is only expanding in area. Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Regarding the first generation vs. 2nd-5th generations comment, I can see either contributing the "Asianness" of a place. If there are more first generation people, the Asian population present in a locality will be more oriented toward their respective Asian nations. However, if there are a lot of 2nd-5th generation Asians, "Asian culture" will be far more entrenched into the "roots" of the area, thereby rendering it "more Asian" in a sense.
Agreed. I think, as a Californian, I sorta take that for granted. Asian culture is almost as embedded in California culture as Hispanic and Anglo culture is. However, I think that as time moves on, the same thing will happen to the rest of the United States.

However, finding that original authentic culture again will be extremely difficult. Not saying that there aren't any 1st generation people/immigrants here (are you kidding me?) but they make up the overwhelming majority of Asians in NY without a local Asian population to "Americanize" them. There's usually a huge generational fight between those established here and those who just came here in CA, which is by and large absent in NY.

It will be interesting to see what happens if these trends continue!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Agreed. I think, as a Californian, I sorta take that for granted. Asian culture is almost as embedded in California culture as Hispanic and Anglo culture is. However, I think that as time moves on, the same thing will happen to the rest of the United States.

However, finding that original authentic culture again will be extremely difficult. Not saying that there aren't any 1st generation people/immigrants here (are you kidding me?) but they make up the overwhelming majority of Asians in NY without a local Asian population to "Americanize" them. There's usually a huge generational fight between those established here and those who just came here in CA, which is by and large absent in NY.

It will be interesting to see what happens if these trends continue!
It is something that's taken for granted here in CA. If you go to a Ranch 99 Market (Asian supermarket chain), odds are you'll see plenty of white and hispanic people buying groceries there, too. The produce is cheaper than Safeway, as are most of the raw ingredients you'd use to make a dinner from scratch. It's (much) easier to find a Chinese place than a burger joint in many parts of the Bay and LA areas, and you can pick up a to-go tray of sushi at any supermarket.

I've got a good number of friends who are second- or third-generation Asian American, and most of them are about as well integrated as any other young American person. I'm of partial Asian descent a few generations back, and the sort of things that my grandmother and dad went through in the South during the 50's and 60's just plain wouldn't happen here these days: unless you're way far out in Eastern CA in some small town, there will be multiple Asian kids in basically any classroom, and the ones who are American-born are probably more apt to help newly-arrived Asian kids integrate into American society, and introduce them to their non-Asian friends. This is how it is in our social circle: one of my friends started inviting her newly-arrived-from-Taiwan cousin in his early 20's out with us, and because of that, he can swear like an American, knows various bands, has been to shows and wears Doc Martens... which wouldn't have happened if he lived in an area without a larger Asian-American populace.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I noticed this thread a bit earlier this morning, and before I was able to reply to it, it got deleted. I think the premise of the thread is worth discussing, but not the whole "well, California is sprawly, rah rah" garbage. That really wasn't necessary. I'll play devil's advocate and defend NYC here.

New York City, in the past 30 years, has went from only having a small token population of Asian Americans to having the 2nd highest amount of Asian Americans in the United States after Los Angeles (and in MSA, it could perhaps overtake Los Angeles during this decade). Asians are just one of many groups of people who come and call the NY area home, so their impact on the city and metropolitan area seems noticeably less than here in California where they are THE other major immigrant community here (half of the foreign born here are Latin American, with another 3rd being from Asia).

According to the 2010 US census, NYC is the first city to have more than 1 million Asians within its city limits, which is nearly as many as LA's, San Jose, and San Francisco's Asian populations combined (using city limits only).

So, keeping all this in mind, I think its really worth asking: what is more Asian, California or New York?

I personally think at this stage, NYC can go toe to toe with the Bay Area and LA with Asian offerings. Agree to disagree. Impressive for an area that before 1965 was off the radar in Asian American history. NYC has a more "foreign born" element rather than the 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation Asian Americans that can be found in all parts of California.
Really, I always though New York's Chinatown was one of the oldest/biggest in America. Compared to other cities NYC has always had a large Asian, particularly Chinese, population. Maybe less so in the boroughs though...when was the community in Queens established?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,629 times
Honolulu has 'em all beat as a percentage. For a fairly large US city nothing can touch it.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Honolulu has 'em all beat as a percentage. For a fairly large US city nothing can touch it.
I think Hawaii's almost seen as like a separate thing as I think it's plurality Asian as a state, or close to it, and no other state comes close to being that.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
In some California cities like Daly City for example, Asians make up 56% of the population. There is not a single city in the state of New York where the percentage of Asians is that high. So California wins by a landslide.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Really, I always though New York's Chinatown was one of the oldest/biggest in America. Compared to other cities NYC has always had a large Asian, particularly Chinese, population. Maybe less so in the boroughs though...when was the community in Queens established?
NYC's Chinatown is old and quite historic. NYC has had a Chinese population for a very, very long time.

The exact same can be said SF's Chinatown, though, and San Francisco's Chinatown basically bled into the entire rest of the city. Now, you've got areas like the Sunset and Richmond districts that are also predominantly Asian, and areas like Clement and Irving streets have sprung up as what are basically "new Chinatowns."

Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think Hawaii's almost seen as like a separate thing as I think it's plurality Asian as a state, or close to it, and no other state comes close to being that.
Yeah, its thats same mind set that fuels some "birthers". You know, its not really America so it doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City