Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
"Prestige" is not quantifiable, and certainly an opinion. And it is your right to have one of course.
Well, based on the number of high quality establishments in the downtowns of both San Francisco and Los Angeles, the importance of the major corporations located in each, the number of high end retail and dining and hotel establishments in each, and the income levels of people who live in each downtown, I do believe that San Francisco is more prestigous than Los Angeles.

Now, Im not saying LA is not prestigous because it has many areas that are, but overall, from its downtown to its neighborhoods, SF is more so.

You are free to disagree, but I would like some reasoning.

Quote:
Basically "quality" immigrants are not in L.A. -- again, an (uninformed) opinion.
I didnt say LA doesnt have any 'quality immigrants', but overall, the Bay Area has more based on the educational attainment level of the foreign born populations and number of high income foreign born individuals

Foreign Born Adults with a Bachelor Degree or Higher, 2009
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 37.2%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 22.2%

Foreign Born Adults with a Graduate Degree, 2009
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 15.6%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 7.2%

Foreign Born Residents Earning $75,000+, 2009
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 15.4%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 7.3%

So there are hard stats to confirm exactly what I said.

Quote:
But whatever, it's the same Bay Area snobbery that runs rampant up there (especially when the subject is L.A.), so not surprised.

Sorry, enough side tracking of this thread...
Well if this makes you feel better, then go in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
Springfield, and Rockford Illinois?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Now I can see why someone would want to live in Detroit or St Louis, screwed up as those places may be. But is it really worth the risk to live in Little Rock, Stockton, or Springfield, Il? Seems like an out of balance risk/reward factor to me.
St. Louis is like 2 cities. The north side is where much of the crime is. The South side has many calm, middle class neighborhoods.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,456 times
Quote:
For cities 500K+ the top 5 are:

1. Detroit
2. Memphis
3. Baltimore
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Philly
I disagree with DC. I'm going to assume you probably don't live within 1,000 miles of DC. DC's bad reputation from 1991 no longer applies today. Over the past ten years, DC has become a much safer city. The bad neighborhoods in DC are completely avoidable and are mostly centered in the Northeast and Southeast sections of the city. Former murder zones in Northwest DC have completely gentrified and are extremely safe today. Also, people who mind their own business in DC and don't sell drugs or hang around in the hood late at night don't have problems. DC is the most educated big city in America. DC currently has the highest median income of any big city in the nation plus the nation's best job market, by a landslide. Because of all of the high-paying government jobs that pay double the average wage of private sector jobs, DC has definitely triumphed as the number one winning city in the economic downturn:

Washington, D.C., posts highest median income in 2009 - Sep. 28, 2010

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

You are more likely to meet overpaid college-educated government workers in many parts of DC rather than gang bangers who will kill you for no reason. I feel much safer in DC than say, San Francisco because a huge percentage of the population in DC is comprised of smart level-headed, mature professionals who make a good living and not mentally-ill homeless people and gang bangers who will kill you for wearing the wrong color like SF. In fact, crime in DC has been dropping every year since its hey day as murder capital in the early 90's. Crime in DC in 2011 is the lowest it has been since the 60's:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/report-shows-dramatic-drop-dc-crime (broken link)

Because of gentrification, most of DC's crime has spilled over into the inner beltway towns surrounding PG County, Maryland. However, I wholeheartedly agree that Baltimore should make the list of top five most dangerous big cities because huge sections of Baltimore are just as bad as they are portrayed on The Wire. This is coming from a 10+ year Maryland resident.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 05-25-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
I Still don't beleave this list , after checking again. Theres no Camden or Newark but Elizabeth is on there , Elizabeth has half the crime Newark has.....and its crime rate has been dropping over the past decade.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM

336 posts, read 768,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I disagree with DC. I'm going to assume you probably don't live within 1,000 miles of DC. DC's bad reputation from 1991 no longer applies today. Over the past ten years, DC has become a much safer city. The bad neighborhoods in DC are completely avoidable and are mostly centered in the Northeast and Southeast sections of the city. Former murder zones in Northwest DC have completely gentrified and are extremely safe today. Also, people who mind their own business in DC and don't sell drugs or hang around in the hood late at night don't have problems. DC is the most educated big city in America. DC currently has the highest median income of any big city in the nation plus the nation's best job market, by a landslide. Because of all of the high-paying government jobs that pay double the average wage of private sector jobs, DC has definitely triumphed as the number one winning city in the economic downturn:

Washington, D.C., posts highest median income in 2009 - Sep. 28, 2010

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

You are more likely to meet overpaid college-educated government workers in many parts of DC rather than gang bangers who will kill you for no reason. I feel much safer in DC than say, San Francisco because a huge percentage of the population in DC is comprised of smart level-headed, mature professionals who make a good living and not mentally-ill homeless people and gang bangers who will kill you for wearing the wrong color like SF. In fact, crime in DC has been dropping every year since its hey day as murder capital in the early 90's. Crime in DC in 2011 is the lowest it has been since the 60's:

Report shows dramatic drop in D.C. crime | Scott McCabe | Local | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/report-shows-dramatic-drop-dc-crime - broken link)

Because of gentrification, most of DC's crime has spilled over into the inner beltway towns surrounding PG County, Maryland. However, I wholeheartedly agree that Baltimore should make the list of top five most dangerous big cities because huge sections of Baltimore are just as bad as they are portrayed on The Wire. This is coming from a 10+ year Maryland resident.

1. I've a DC native, born and raised in Northeast D.C.!!!!

2. According to that FBI list D.C. is indeed #4 in the top 5 for cities 500K and over. No need to beat around the bush around it.

3. Murders are up this year by over 10% and its not even summer yet. Most murders aren't random but still.

4. Robberies are very high in D.C. and most of the time its random, people get robbed in gentrified areas like U street, Columbia Heights, Petworth, and Mt Pleasant all the time!!!

5. Baltimore has some good parts, not all of the city is bad and for the most part, even its worst parts don't seen any more dangerous than DC's worst neighborhoods.

6. Youth violence is up!

7. D.C. is one city where crime and money co-exist!!! Gentrification doesn't not all crime, I can prove that fact by pulling up a police report of lets say...Columbia Heights and it'll show that there IS an increase of crime there, I live in Columbia Heights so I know what goes on.

8. Stop lying to these people on city-data, D.C. is not some perfect utopia nor it is as safe as SF, NYC, Boston. If you wanna say NW DC is as safe as those cities than sure go ahead, but the last time I checked NE and SE were still apart of DC which brings up the crime and murder rates to high levels.

Like I said before DC is #4 in terms of being the most dangerous city for a population over 500K . Yes even higher than Philly and Chicago.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I Still don't beleave this list , after checking again. Theres no Camden or Newark but Elizabeth is on there , Elizabeth has half the crime Newark has.....and its crime rate has been dropping over the past decade.

Camden is under 100,000.

It's not that hard to actually look up this info if you want to question it.

Elizabeth
2009 - 1,031.1
2008 - 900.5
2007 - 747.5
2006 - 710.6
2005 - 658.4
2004 - 552.9

Newark
2009 - 930.1
2008 - 950.7
2007 - 852.7
2006 - 1,010.8
2005 - 1,003.7
2004 - 1,024.5

Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Camden is under 100,000.

It's not that hard to actually look up this info if you want to question it.

Elizabeth
2009 - 1,031.1
2008 - 900.5
2007 - 747.5
2006 - 710.6
2005 - 658.4
2004 - 552.9

Newark
2009 - 930.1
2008 - 950.7
2007 - 852.7
2006 - 1,010.8
2005 - 1,003.7
2004 - 1,024.5
I'm going by murders and Elizabeth is safer then Newark in that dept.....it did drop in 2010 , while Newark rose according to the FBI and state. So these numbers seem off and odd...

Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
Default Dubai Pearl

Thank you for for your informative post. I am newbie here, please welcome to me. Thanks all.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin33 View Post
Thank you for for your informative post. I am newbie here, please welcome to me. Thanks all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City