Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
So, the world's second largest Mexican city is "too far removed" from the county on its own southern border to compete with the “Mexican” food to be found in places like Chicago and Philadelphia.

What color is the sky in your world?

Dont worry that guy is a fool....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM

370 posts, read 862,813 times
i lived in Chicago and the mexican food was pretty terrible - it was only worse in NYC. Given this was several years ago, but i doubt it has improved to the point where its the best in the nation.

The issue for me is that in cities like LA or states like Texas or New Mexico, latin food has a long tradition and is well integrated into the local cuisine. There is tons of competition and people (not just hispanics) have eaten the food for generations.

I grew up in Dallas and people ate mexican and Tex Mex as the primary ethnic food. People in chicago didnt know the difference between good mexican food and bad mexican food. I went to Rick Bayless's place in chicago and found it overrated.

Not saying that Texas has the best mexican food, but its more ubiquitous in places like Texas. The overall quality is much higher on average because of it.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
A mexican is a mexican and so is its food.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alacran View Post
a mexican is a mexican and so is its food.
lol

Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm guessing Chicago and LA don't put french fries in their burritos...
Sounds like something taco bell would do

Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Sounds like something taco bell would do

Doesn't it? Haha. I actually did not know that about San Diego... I've only ever eaten tacos there. The tacos are delicious.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
i lived in Chicago and the mexican food was pretty terrible - it was only worse in NYC. Given this was several years ago, but i doubt it has improved to the point where its the best in the nation.

The issue for me is that in cities like LA or states like Texas or New Mexico, latin food has a long tradition and is well integrated into the local cuisine. There is tons of competition and people (not just hispanics) have eaten the food for generations.

I grew up in Dallas and people ate mexican and Tex Mex as the primary ethnic food. People in chicago didnt know the difference between good mexican food and bad mexican food. I went to Rick Bayless's place in chicago and found it overrated.

Not saying that Texas has the best mexican food, but its more ubiquitous in places like Texas. The overall quality is much higher on average because of it.
Pretty much. Also, catering to the native eater’s taste is an advantage in ethnic cuisine. You could have the best chef in the world, but if his customers’ don’t have palettes attuned to that specific taste, there won’t be a demand. That could be a small town or a massive city.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:37 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
All I gotta say is that its a known fact that competition weeds out the weak and only the strong survive, keeping that in mind do the math people.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This is hilarious how people are judging Mexican food by simply Burritos and Tacos.

What a laugh.

Those are so "American Mexican".

There are many different cuisines in Mexico, and each state and territory there has its own way of cooking.

Where is the best Mexican food? It depends.

Best burritos and tacos and traditional American Mexican fare (which is still delicious I might add)..... Texas and Los Angeles easily. Add Phoenix too.

Best authentic Mexican FINE dining cuisine...... Chicago, known for its Mexican population keeping their authentic tradition as well as Mexican fusion (kind of a paradox, I know).

The best of both and the ultimate winner.... anywhere in New Mexico.

While I do agree that Mexican food is often over-simplified to tacos and burritos, I can't say that was the case where I grew up... I grew up in a predominantly latino town known for its Michoacan population (Redwood City) so I grew up eating just about anything Michoacan. Michoacan pastries, tamales, tortas, tacos, etc. are some of what remind me of home the most and I'm not even latino lol.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
People in chicago didnt know the difference between good mexican food and bad mexican food.
Interesting you think the Mexicans in Chicago don't know Mexican food. Why would that be?

I know a Mexican-Polish joint on the South Side. Now THAT'S Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City