Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM

199 posts, read 178,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess these cherry-picked videos say it all. If you don't think there's a very sizeable contingent of fools driving pimped out rides, even in nice parts of town like Buckhead, then you (a) stay confined to Dunwoody or Alpharetta or (b) are just flat out lying (or blind or delusional). You are going to see some hot bamma stuff in Atlanta that you are not going to see in DC, period. This includes cars with rims that keep on spinning, and spinning, and spinning. This is something you see quite frequently in Atlanta and pretty rarely in DC.

And for the record, I'm not even from DC, and I often bash the city in many of these threads for lacking socioeconomic diversity (See countless clashes with DC's Finest). However, I'll call a spade a spade, and if the question is "Which City has the Better Nightlife," I'll answer DC because it is far less ghetto than Atlanta. I don't see that as hating; it's just me stating my preference after having lived in both cities for a considerable amount of time. If someone asked me, "Which city is more cosmopolitan or upscale, Philadelphia or DC?," I'd answer DC because it is a classier town than Philly. People can talk until their blue in the face about the many chic lounges in Center City, but then you'd have to ignore a lot of the grime that exists around it. You can also pull up all of the YouTube videos you want showing classy couples dining on the town in Atlanta at swanky restaurants, but then you'd have to ignore a lot of the hot bamma mess you see on a typical Friday night.

Compared to Atlanta, DC is more refined, more cultured, more international, more diverse and more cosmopolitan than Atlanta, and by a significant margin. This applies to the nightlife as well, imo. I AM NOT SAYING THAT ATLANTA HAS NO UPSCALE VENUES. What I am saying is that DC has many more and that the DC scene has a much cooler and sophisticated vibe to it. If you think that "upscale" means pretentious pricks with sticks up their butts (which I am somewhat inclined to agree with), then the DC scene might not be for you. But for me, I'd take the pretentiousness of Georgetown over the scene pollution of Peachtree Street any day.
So your entire premise that DC has better nightlife is becuase it "illegedly" has a better upscale scene? Even if that is true (and I'm sure some WHITE posters from ATL would disagree if they cared enough to be involved in these nightlife threads) is that really the end all be all in this discussion?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
So your entire premise that DC has better nightlife is becuase it has "illegedly" has a better upscale scene? Even if that is true (and I'm sure some WHITE posters would disagree) is that really the end all be all in this discussion.
In my opinion, yes, the nightlife scene is better because it's more upscale, but that's what floats my boat. Others may feel it's too uptight. To each his (her) own.

But at least my opinion is based on having lived in both cities. Can you say the same? White posters can disagree all they want, but anyone with two eyes can see that DC is more cosmpolitan than Atlanta. It's not even an argument, really.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Well, this seems to be a massive thread on hip hop/go go/crunk. I'm not into these scenes. I like large trance/dance clubs, hardcore punk, or just a good selection of bars if I want a relaxed night.

So which one is it for me? If hip hop or "urban" music is the only happening thing in either city please let me know.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Well, this seems to be a massive thread on hip hop/go go/crunk. I'm not into these scenes. I like large trance/dance clubs, hardcore punk, or just a good selection of bars if I want a relaxed night.

So which one is it for me? If hip hop or "urban" music is the only happening thing in either city please let me know.
Atlanta is good for all that you wanted above. I never do anything having to so with "urban" music and have never had trouble getting away from it despite what some posters would have you believe is impossible in Atlanta, but it is far from the truth.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Atlanta is good for all that you wanted above. I never do anything having to so with "urban" music and have never had trouble getting away from it despite what some posters would have you believe is impossible in Atlanta, but it is far from the truth.
Interesting, I have to say my perception of Atlanta nightlife was a tad different. Maybe because it's marketed as the "black hollywood" that the other things don't get so much publicity.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Interesting, I have to say my perception of Atlanta nightlife was a tad different. Maybe because it's marketed as the "black hollywood" that the other things don't get so much publicity.
It surely doesn't. You have to keep in mind that on these threads most of the posters are black (myself included) and so many (not all)of them don't have enough interest to venture away from "urban" nightlife or at least nightlife catered to black people despite the socioeconomic status of said black people, which isn't bad but it does not show the whole picture. So you won't hear about things like hardcore punk or EDM. Also BET and rappers put that image in the media.

I haven't stepped foot into a "crunk" or whatever hood type club or party since I've been here. I find plenty of dance music and alternative music like metal and indie rock to keep me busy outside work. Even entire areas devoted to alternative culture in Atlanta as well venues dedicated to it. You should ask on the Atlanta forum and plenty of people will tell you.

Last edited by Hobgob; 06-21-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It surely doesn't. You have to keep in mind that on these threads most of the posters are black (myself included) and so many of them don't have enough interest to venture away from "urban" nightlife or at least nightlife catered to black people despite the socioeconomic status of said black people. So you won't hear about things like hardcore punk or EDM. Also BET and rappers put that image in the media.

I haven't stepped foot into a "crunk" or whatever hood type club or party since I've been here. I find plenty of dance music and alternative music like metal and indie rock to keep me busy outside work. Even entire areas devoted to alternative culture in Atlanta as well venues dedicated to it. You should ask on the Atlanta forum and plenty of people will tell you.
Interesting, I'm glad to hear there are plenty of sides to the nightlife down there. I only went to a couple random bars in midtown when I was there last summer visiting a consulate. Which neighborhoods/areas do you find the indie and electronic scenes?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
In my opinion, yes, the nightlife scene is better because it's more upscale, but that's what floats my boat. Others may feel it's too uptight. To each his (her) own.

But at least my opinion is based on having lived in both cities. Can you say the same? White posters can disagree all they want, but anyone with two eyes can see that DC is more cosmpolitan than Atlanta. It's not even an argument, really.
Your Opinion doesnt hold a fact. Based on what the O.P asked for Atlanta would beat DC in most of those catergories. If you debate is based on upscale nightlife then I suggest you make a thread Called which has better upscale nightlife. The only thing DC would get would be lounges and bars thats it

These were the catergories

(events, bars, clubbing, lounges, strip clubs, college parties, concerts, sports, ect.?)

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 06-21-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
That's the exact same thing I keep saying. When I was younger I went to a smorgasbord of those Hip Hop/urban type places but now I never go to them but I still have plenty of options in Atlanta to partake in.

This is at Sambucas.

YouTube - ‪Ryan Whitehead solo with Mindi Abair at Sambuca Atlanta.‬‏

Cafe 290

YouTube - ‪XL Ordinary People @ Cafe 290‬‏

Luckie Lounge

YouTube - ‪Jo Jo Singing Live at Luckie Food Lounge, Atlanta‬‏

Churchill Grounds

YouTube - ‪Darryl Reeves - Churchill Grounds - ATL‬‏

Here's the view from a restaraunt that features Live Jazz at night

YouTube - ‪Sun Dial Restaurant, Atlanta: a 360 degree view time lapse‬‏
And there's more ofcourse

Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
I guess these cherry-picked videos say it all. If you don't think there's a very sizeable contingent of fools driving pimped out rides, even in nice parts of town like Buckhead, then you (a) stay confined to Dunwoody or Alpharetta or (b) are just flat out lying (or blind or delusional). You are going to see some hot bamma stuff in Atlanta that you are not going to see in DC, period. This includes cars with rims that keep on spinning, and spinning, and spinning. This is something you see quite frequently in Atlanta and pretty rarely in DC.

And for the record, I'm not even from DC, and I often bash the city in many of these threads for lacking socioeconomic diversity (See countless clashes with DC's Finest). However, I'll call a spade a spade, and if the question is "Which City has the Better Nightlife," I'll answer DC because it is far less ghetto than Atlanta. I don't see that as hating; it's just me stating my preference after having lived in both cities for a considerable amount of time. If someone asked me, "Which city is more cosmopolitan or upscale, Philadelphia or DC?," I'd answer DC because it is a classier town than Philly. People can talk until their blue in the face about the many chic lounges in Center City, but then you'd have to ignore a lot of the grime that exists around it. You can also pull up all of the YouTube videos you want showing classy couples dining on the town in Atlanta at swanky restaurants, but then you'd have to ignore a lot of the hot bamma mess you see on a typical Friday night.

Compared to Atlanta, DC is more refined, more cultured, more international, more diverse and more cosmopolitan than Atlanta, and by a significant margin. This applies to the nightlife as well, imo. I AM NOT SAYING THAT ATLANTA HAS NO UPSCALE VENUES. What I am saying is that DC has many more and that the DC scene has a much cooler and sophisticated vibe to it. If you think that "upscale" means pretentious pricks with sticks up their butts (which I am somewhat inclined to agree with), then the DC scene might not be for you. But for me, I'd take the pretentiousness of Georgetown over the scene pollution of Peachtree Street any day.

Maybe you havent been here latley but Pimping out cars is not it anymore you dont see them as much as you use too 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City