Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 PM

161 posts, read 328,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh not at all. From Crescent Ave to Va-Hi to Atkins Park to the West Buckhead Village to Little Five (plus many more) there are a lot of options for everyone and by no means is hip-hop even the standard for the majority of clubs.

Intermezzo is still around and there are two others now. One in Downtown and new one opening up in Midtown. Definitely one of my favorite spots.

Yin Yang is gone but has been replaced by Apache Cafe. It basically the same thing, but no where near as creative or cool as it used to be. The subculture though has spread out to places like Downtown, the West End, West Midtown and various underground spots in lofts and such.

The only two situations I can see that being acceptable at a place on Peachtree would be some place that was having a college night (and the dropped the dress code) or it was Bulldogs. I have a feeling it was the latter and, uh yeah, that place doesn't count.

Funnily enough, a big complaint these days about the nightlife scene in Atlanta is that a big chunk of all of the venues have dress codes with some being very strict. This flies in the face of the old Atlanta mentality of show up how you like and get drunk. Personally I don't have a problem with it since I actually like dressing up, but I could see how that might upset some raggamuffin trying to ball on a budget.

Well it is Atlanta, you have to expect to hear that at a lot of clubs just like you would expect to here reggae in Kingston. LOL But I'm with in you I'm not really into a lot of that stuff personally and rather not hear it. But I'm pretty old school, the kids today seem to like it. And does it really matter what is playing when a girl is shaking her donk on the dance floor?
It shouldn't. Why would one pay attention to the music when the obvious is right there in front of them?

Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Thats because most of the people populating the ATL area are from Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina.........
Source?

And I really wish people would quit with this "country" ish. The funny thing is that it tends to come from the posters with the worst spelling and grammar who perpetuate the worst stereotypes about Black people, at least younger Black guys, on this site and probably in real life.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 AM

199 posts, read 178,767 times
I give up with most of these stereotypes against Atlanta. I am close to saying let the ignorant people think what they want, since they don't matter and it keeps my rent down low the less of them finding out how great it is here and moving here just for that. Let the businesses and smart people they bring come. They are what matters.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well Im sorry if I didn't explain what I meant that well. My idea of urban is foot traffic, lots of lights and no parking lots. Restaurants and clubs and energy. Our baseball stadium is developing just like that also. We are in talks to maybe do the same thing with DC united our soccer team's new stadium. I know Atlanta doesn't really have the built environment of major northeast cities so it might be unfair to compare Atlanta to DC in that way. Atlanta is a great city just the way it is.
Ohhhh. So sorry the Georgia Dome and Phillips Arena couldn't be located in an urban area like that. The only thing located within walking distance of them are a subway station, the Georgia World Congress Center (a huge convention center) Centennial Olympic Park, The Worlds largest Aquarium, The CNN Center ( which is huge with restarants, etc.), The World of Coke Museum, Large Hotels like the Omni (a highrise hotel taller than any in Metro D.C.) and lots more. And yes there are plenty of people in the area.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
I don't think I ever mentioned this, but atl is country compared to DC.
By your definition of country L.A. is country compared to D.C. but it is far far larger and (with the exception of some federal government) more important than D.C. Same thing goes for Houston and Dallas Ft Worth.

D.C. is an arrogant one industry town. Take the Federal government from D.C. and you got Toledo, Ohio at best.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-22-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Ohhhh. So sorry the Georgia Dome and Phillips Arena couldn't be located in an urban area like that. The only thing located within walking distance of them are a subway station, the Georgia World Congress Center (a huge convention center) Centennial Olympic Park, The Worlds largest Aquarium, The CNN Center ( which is huge with restarants, etc.), The World of Coke Museum, Large Hotels like the Omni (a highrise hotel taller than any in Metro D.C.) and lots more. And yes there are plenty of people in the area.
To be honest, it's not even comparable to Gallery Place in DC. Yeah, you see people around Phillips Arena when there's a game, but people just don't hang around there just off GP. On any given day in Gallery Place, there are people going to Clyde's, Nando's, Lucky Strike, Bar Louie, Hooters, Bar 7, Ping Pong Dim Sum, Carmine's, Matchbox, Chopt, Redline, Zenga, Rose Mexicana, Fuddrucker's, Ming's, and the other various bars and restaurants in the area. There's also a bit of shopping with stores like Urban Outfitter's, Zara, H&M, Banana Republic and United Colors of Benneton. That area is also very close to the National Portrait Gallery, the Newseum, the Spy Museum, the Crime & Punishment Museum and the Shakespeare Theater, so you get a whole lot of foot traffic on a typical day. When the Caps or the Wizards play, it just adds to the volume. There's no way Phillips Arena is competing with that.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Source?

And I really wish people would quit with this "country" ish. The funny thing is that it tends to come from the posters with the worst spelling and grammar who perpetuate the worst stereotypes about Black people, at least younger Black guys, on this site and probably in real life.
For real. They have no source...but I do (Yes, I do have data to cite for every occassion.)

SOI Tax Stats - Migration Data - Georgia (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/article/0,,id=213853,00.html - broken link)

Using IRS Relocation data, the top out of State counties that people relocate from to Fulton Country (the county in which the city of Atlanta is in) are:

1. Broward County, FL
2. Los Angeles County, CA
3. Miami-Dade County, FL
4. Cook County, IL
5. New York County, NY (Manhattan)

For Dekalb County (First ring suburb) the top out of State counties are:

Out-of-Region Inflows:
1. Foreign - Overseas
2. Broward County, FL
3. Miami-Dade County, FL
4. Los Angeles County, CA
5. Kings County, NY (Brooklyn)

In other words, the top areas for relocation to Atlanta are Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City and for Dekalb those places plus foreign immigrants.

Now, are these the ONLY places people relocate from. No. There are people relocating here from Alabama, Mississippi, the Carolinas and every other Southern state. Why should their presence be seen as a negative though? Most often they are educated and upwardly mobile young people moving to Atlanta for better opportunities than they can find in their home. That's the sort of people any town needs. So what if they are from Alabama?

But seriously, I also agree with you about the bizarreness and how ironic it is that a few posters keep going on about people being "country" as if they themselves were superior yet they can barely can put together a coherent sentence.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Gallery Place also has the teeny bopper crowd that "enhances" the nightlife there. Then there's also Exercise Man.

YouTube - ‪Dancing guy in the middle of a DC intersection‬‏

Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM

199 posts, read 178,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Have you ever lived in DC? Not "visit here all the time." I mean, have you ever lived in the District, had a license here, had a Pepco account, etc?

I don't know if the hipster scene is bigger in Atlanta or DC. I know Philly has a bigger scene than both towns, but my guess would be that the DC scene is bigger than Atlanta's because of the inordinate amount of Trustafarians here. You also have more urban, walkable, bike-friendly granola-type neighborhoods in DC that attract hipsters than you do in Atlanta. I'm not a hipster, so I can't give you a good answer, but if you count up the number of Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and organic cleaners in both cities, you should get a good sense of which town comes out on top.
You admit that you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. So why even answer? Stick to what you know. Don't just boost by talking about stuff you know nothing about based on this response. Using urbandictionary as your guide to hipsterdom and alternative culture and music does not make you knowledgeable.

Quote:
Soulja Boy Tell Em is from Atlanta along with Wocka Flocka Flame, Young Jeezy, Archie Eversole, Rasheeda, the 404 Soldiers, Miracle, Gucci Mane, Kilo Ali, the Ying Yang Twins, Young Dro, the Youngbloodz, Dem Franchise Boyz, Crime Mob, Gorilla Zoe, Shawty Lo, Ludacris, Rocko, Lil' Scrappy, Yung Joc, and countless others who are destroying hip hop by the ringtone. But I get it...those guys are just outliers within a sea of sophisticated black folks in the ATL.
Then there is these.
Country
Jason Aldean, country singer
Zac Brown, country singer
Luke Bryan, country singer
Billy Currington, country singer
Alan Jackson, country singer
The Lost Trailers, country group
Jerry Reed, country singer
Sugarland, country group
Travis Tritt, country singer
Mark Wills, country singer
Trisha Yearwood, country singer
Brantley Gilbert, country singer
R&B
112, R&B quartet
Johntá Austin, R&B singer
B5, R&B/hip hop group
Blaque, R&B group
Bobby V, R&B singer
Sleepy Brown, R&B singer
Cherish, R&B quartet
Ciara, R&B singer, raised in Atlanta.
Keri Hilson, R&B singer
India.Arie, R&B singer
Dear Jayne, R&B trio
Gladys Knight & the Pips, popular music act
Little Richard
Blind Willie McTell, famous for his song, "Statesboro Blues" popularized by The Allman Brothers Band and a major influence to the works of Bob Dylan
Monica, R&B singer and actress
Raven-Symoné, R&B singer and actress
Otis Redding
RichGirl, R&B quartet
Kelly Rowland, R&B singer and actress
The-Dream, R&B singer
TLC, R&B trio
Usher, singer
Justin Bieber, singer
Xscape, R&B Group
Rock
The B-52s, punk/alternative band
The Black Crowes, blues rock band
Black Lips, flower punk band
Butch Walker
Cartel, punk/power pop band
Cat Power,
The Chariot, metal/hardcore band
Chris Tomlin, Christian worship artist
Collective Soul, alt rock band
Deerhunter, rock
Drivin N Cryin, folk/rock band featuring Kevin Kinney
Family Force 5, crunk rock band
Follow for Now, black rock band
Georgia Satellites
The Glass Ocean, indie rock band
Group X
Hubcap City
Injected, alt metal band
Magicicada, experimental
Manchester Orchestra, indie rock band fronted by Andy Hull
Marvelous 3, '90s alternative rock band fronted by Butch Walker
Mastodon, metal/hardcore band
Norma Jean, metalcore band
The Rock*A*Teens, '90s indie band
Sevendust, alt metal band
Sound Tribe Sector 9, jam band
Smoke
Seely
Third Day, Christian rock band
Toenut
Woe, Is Me Metalcore band
Pop
The Atlanta Rhythm Section, pop/rock band
David Berkeley, singer-songwriter born in New Jersey but living in Atlanta
Evan and Jaron, pop duo
Indigo Girls, Folk and pop duo
Brenda Lee, singer
John Mayer, singer-songwriter
Shawn Mullins, singer-songwriter
Jazz
Ray Charles, jazz, blues, soul, and rock-and-roll pianist, songwriter, and singer; born in Georgia, raised in Florida
Duke Pearson, jazz pianist and composer
Mary Lou Williams, jazz pianist, composer and arranger
[edit]Conductors
Robert Shaw, conductor
Robert Spano, Grammy award winning conductor and music director of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Then there is artist from Athens about 40 miles away.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/l...rock-acts.html

REM
Of Montreal
Drive By Truckers
B-22
etc

Right and all these people are from there too. It only shows what kind of culture YOU associate with if all you know is the rappers.

Quote:
No, you're just ignoring all of the flashy cars with trunk rattling bass to make a point. BOOM, BOOM, B- BOOOM, BOOM, BOOM, B- BOOOOM.
I don't live in the hood. Next time you are here get a different circle of friends if all you see is flashy cars and trunk rattlin.

Quote:
Again, it's not that Atlanta doesn't have it, it's just that DC has way more of it.
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Atlanta Pops Orchestra Concerts

De Kalb Symphony Orchestra

Cobb Symphony Orchestra

Atlanta Baroque Orchestra

Rupert's Orchestra

Orchestra Atlanta Inc

Alan Knieter Orchestra

Atlanta Ballet

Murray Arts Center

Atlanta North Performing Arts

Ferst Center For The Arts

Area At Gwinnett Center

Gwinnett Ballet Theatre

Grand Theatre

Variety Playhouse

New Atlanta Youth Orchestra

‎You are reaching now. Give it up. If you want to include Baltimore then the argument is moot because that would add almost 3 million more people then Atlanta has anyway, and thus there had better be "more" or you guys fail.

Last edited by Hobgob; 06-22-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
You admit that you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. So why even answer? Stick to what you know. Don't just boost by talking about stuff you know nothing about based on this response. Using urbandictionary as your guide to hipsterdom and alternative culture and music does not make you knowledgeable.

Then there is these.
Country
Jason Aldean, country singer
Zac Brown, country singer
Luke Bryan, country singer
Billy Currington, country singer
Alan Jackson, country singer
The Lost Trailers, country group
Jerry Reed, country singer
Sugarland, country group
Travis Tritt, country singer
Mark Wills, country singer
Trisha Yearwood, country singer
Brantley Gilbert, country singer
R&B
112, R&B quartet
Johntá Austin, R&B singer
B5, R&B/hip hop group
Blaque, R&B group
Bobby V, R&B singer
Sleepy Brown, R&B singer
Cherish, R&B quartet
Ciara, R&B singer, raised in Atlanta.
Keri Hilson, R&B singer
India.Arie, R&B singer
Dear Jayne, R&B trio
Gladys Knight & the Pips, popular music act
Little Richard
Blind Willie McTell, famous for his song, "Statesboro Blues" popularized by The Allman Brothers Band and a major influence to the works of Bob Dylan
Monica, R&B singer and actress
Raven-Symoné, R&B singer and actress
Otis Redding
RichGirl, R&B quartet
Kelly Rowland, R&B singer and actress
The-Dream, R&B singer
TLC, R&B trio
Usher, singer
Justin Bieber, singer
Xscape, R&B Group
Rock
The B-52s, punk/alternative band
The Black Crowes, blues rock band
Black Lips, flower punk band
Butch Walker
Cartel, punk/power pop band
Cat Power,
The Chariot, metal/hardcore band
Chris Tomlin, Christian worship artist
Collective Soul, alt rock band
Deerhunter, rock
Drivin N Cryin, folk/rock band featuring Kevin Kinney
Family Force 5, crunk rock band
Follow for Now, black rock band
Georgia Satellites
The Glass Ocean, indie rock band
Group X
Hubcap City
Injected, alt metal band
Magicicada, experimental
Manchester Orchestra, indie rock band fronted by Andy Hull
Marvelous 3, '90s alternative rock band fronted by Butch Walker
Mastodon, metal/hardcore band
Norma Jean, metalcore band
The Rock*A*Teens, '90s indie band
Sevendust, alt metal band
Sound Tribe Sector 9, jam band
Smoke
Seely
Third Day, Christian rock band
Toenut
Woe, Is Me Metalcore band
Pop
The Atlanta Rhythm Section, pop/rock band
David Berkeley, singer-songwriter born in New Jersey but living in Atlanta
Evan and Jaron, pop duo
Indigo Girls, Folk and pop duo
Brenda Lee, singer
John Mayer, singer-songwriter
Shawn Mullins, singer-songwriter
Jazz
Ray Charles, jazz, blues, soul, and rock-and-roll pianist, songwriter, and singer; born in Georgia, raised in Florida
Duke Pearson, jazz pianist and composer
Mary Lou Williams, jazz pianist, composer and arranger
[edit]Conductors
Robert Shaw, conductor
Robert Spano, Grammy award winning conductor and music director of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Then there is artist from Athens about 40 miles away.
Thirty Great Athens Bands :: Blogs :: List of the Day :: Paste

REM
Of Montreal
Drive By Truckers
B-22
etc

Right and all these people are from there too. It only shows what kind of culture YOU associate with if all you know is the rappers.

I don't live in the hood. Next time you are here get a different circle of friends if all you see is flashy cars and trunk rattlin.

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Atlanta Pops Orchestra Concerts

De Kalb Symphony Orchestra

Cobb Symphony Orchestra

Atlanta Baroque Orchestra

Rupert's Orchestra

Orchestra Atlanta Inc

Alan Knieter Orchestra

Atlanta Ballet

Murray Arts Center

Atlanta North Performing Arts

Ferst Center For The Arts

Area At Gwinnett Center

Gwinnett Ballet Theatre

Grand Theatre

Variety Playhouse

New Atlanta Youth Orchestra

‎You are reaching now. Give it up. If you want to include Baltimore then the argument is moot because that would add almost 3 million more people then Atlanta has anyway, and thus there had better be "more" or you guys fail.
You left out Jagged Edge R&B group and Cee Lo of Knarles Barkley but covered it pretty well other than that. But D.C. does have that dancing guy in their fake China Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City