Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM

199 posts, read 178,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmmm...I don't know. I saw a good bit of that at Atlantic Station last year. I didn't go through the whole city on that trip, so I don't know if the pimped out rides are as prevalent on Peachtree as they used to be. I actually think Atlanta has more pimped out rides than LA and Miami. In LA, you'll see chromed out cars. In Miami, you have some ridiculous looking cars, but you see mostly high-powered Vets, Porsches and Lambos on S. Beach. In Atlanta, you'll see a car that has a half Louis Vuitton, half Gucci paint job, spinning rims, and televisions in the front and back of the car.

I've never lived in either city so I can't say. Miami, I think, would get old very quickly. One of my friends, who's also Bajan, moved from Miami to DC because she said the scene was far too Latin-centric for her taste. She also said that there were virtually zero events for black professionals. Los Angeles strikes me as the type of place where you need to know people to have a good time.

I'm not sure many car enthusiast would agree that Atlanta has more modded cars than Miami or LA. I mean really?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,482 times
Quote:
Hmmm...I don't know. I saw a good bit of that at Atlantic Station last year. I didn't go through the whole city on that trip, so I don't know if the pimped out rides are as prevalent on Peachtree as they used to be. I actually think Atlanta has more pimped out rides than LA and Miami. In LA, you'll see chromed out cars. In Miami, you have some ridiculous looking cars, but you see mostly high-powered Vets, Porsches and Lambos on S. Beach. In Atlanta, you'll see a car that has a half Louis Vuitton, half Gucci paint job, spinning rims, and televisions in the front and back of the car.

I've never lived in either city so I can't say. Miami, I think, would get old very quickly. One of my friends, who's also Bajan, moved from Miami to DC because she said the scene was far too Latin-centric for her taste. She also said that there were virtually zero events for black professionals. Los Angeles strikes me as the type of place where you need to know people to have a good time.

Im from Miami. South beach is a small portion of Miami you will most definitely get those cars and those guys bumping to Gucci man in the hooked up Hummers or whatever and there are more hooked up rides in the south florida area than Atlanta. Miami is the one who started the whole LV seats and Gucci stuff.

DC is just to lax for my taste your parties and events shut down 2 early. And your correct Miamis night scene is more latin influenced.

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 06-21-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
How do you use numbers to answer a question that is inherently qualitative and subjective?

Events? I don't know what you would consider "events." But Washington, DC certainly has more given all of the foreign embassies, conferences, and festivals here. Unless you're talking about Jamie Foxx spraying a bottle of Cristal over the crowd and throwing out Benjamins at his birthday party. Atlanta has DC beat on those types of "events."

Events that are geared towards nightlife without something special coming into town aka HOliday weekends Inaugurations etc you know what I mean

Bars? DC. That's easy.

Lounges? DC. Again, that's easy.

Strip Clubs? Atlanta.

College parties? I don't see how Atlanta wins this since you have Howard, Georgetown, GW, American, and UDC right in the District, plus the University of Maryland inside the Beltway. Besides, 95 percent of the people in the area are not college students, so this is somewhat irrelevant.

Concerts? There's no tour that I'm aware of that goes to Atlanta yet skips the Nation's Capital. Concerts outside of tours also

Sports? The Hawks and the Falcons are better than the Wizkids and the Skins, but why does that matter? If anything, I'd say DC is better in this regard because most of the stadiums are in very urban areas with lots of dining and nightlife options around.
Same with Atlanta there are more sporting events that go on here and All of our Facilities are located in 1 area.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Same with Atlanta there are more sporting events that go on here and All of our Facilities are located in 1 area.

You can't believe this? DC has way more events than Atlanta.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You can't believe this? DC has way more events than Atlanta.

DC does not have way more sporting events Than Atlanta

Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:

data folks...............DATA

Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Didnt Atlanta just lose their Hockey team? Also, there is nothing urban about Atlanta's stadiums and arena's. Have you been to the verizon center? That is what we call urban.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Didnt Atlanta just lose their Hockey team? Also, there is nothing urban about Atlanta's stadiums and arena's. Have you been to the verizon center? That is what we call urban.
There is more to losing the Thrashers than you could possibly know.

Our stadia are central to the city. Phillips Arena is incorporated into CNN Center, on top of a subway station. The Georgia Dome is across the street. The entire district is on platforms above a rail yard, and across the street from Centennial Olympic Park. Turner field is separated from Downtown by freeways, but is closer in than where the Nationals play and many people walk from the Georgia State train station.

How the hell is any of this not urban? The Redskins play in the burbs, if you want to keep it real.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There is more to losing the Thrashers than you could possibly know.

Our stadia are central to the city. Phillips Arena is incorporated into CNN Center, on top of a subway station. The Georgia Dome is across the street. The entire district is on platforms above a rail yard, and across the street from Centennial Olympic Park. Turner field is separated from Downtown by freeways, but is closer in than where the Nationals play and many people walk from the Georgia State train station.

How the hell is any of this not urban? The Redskins play in the burbs, if you want to keep it real.
I have been to Atlanta sporting events many times. Other than the redskins who have a 91,000 seat stadium that couldn't go in the city, Verizon center is in chinatown in DC and Atlanta doesn't have any area city wide like DC's chinatown. If you have been to DC, you will not argue that.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I have been to Atlanta sporting events many times. Other than the redskins who have a 91,000 seat stadium that couldn't go in the city, Verizon center is in chinatown in DC and Atlanta doesn't have any area city wide like DC's chinatown. If you have been to DC, you will not argue that.
You are totally missing the point. Your claim was that "there is nothing urban about Atlanta's stadiums and arena's." If you have indeed been here, you know that is a flat out lie. Having a tight district similar to Chinatown is NOT what you stated. Give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City