Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 PM

136 posts, read 255,805 times

Advertisements

chicago offers the FROZEN TUNDRA........new yorkers cant handle a chicago winter. Chicagoans are the supreme beings of all major cities to deal with all that cold and snow and windy rain and UGGHHHH........lol

Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
chicago offers the FROZEN TUNDRA........new yorkers cant handle a chicago winter. Chicagoans are the supreme beings of all major cities to deal with all that cold and snow and windy rain and UGGHHHH........lol
So I guess people in Minneapolis are Gods among men then?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
To answer the question to the original post:

A lot.

Chicago is completely different from NYC. People seem to think because we have the biggest skylines in the country that means we are similar. However, even our skylines in density, size and architecture vary a lot.

Honestly, no city can compare to NYC here in the U.S. Chicago has it's own flavor which is a mystery to most people that have never visited or just don't know about. It's flavor is nothing like New York's.

So if you are expecting some NYC on a scaled down version, you are looking at the wrong place.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Thinking of travelling to Chicago or NYC this summer. Went to NYC last summer over the 4th of July weekend to see a few Jays games and check out the ESB etc. Did most of the mainstream touristy things but missed out on a lot of other stuff. I was there only for a few days.

I'm debating whether I should visit Chicago this summer or go back to NY again and really visit and experience the things I had missed out on last year. If I were to visit Chicago instead, what would it have to offer that New York can't?

Btw, I've never been to Chicago before and I've only been to NYC once which was only for a few days. I'm also only 20 so any drinking/clubbing would be out of the question I guess.
I like the easier women.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:08 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
What Chicago offers that NYC cannot:

1. People in Chicago aren't as concerned about dress and you can wear more of what you want that is comfortable. In NYC, if you do, you're instantly thought of as a tourist but are not very fashionable. Chicagoans aren't as fashion conscious which can be a good thing because it is more freedom.

2. If Chicago really is having a reduction in population, that isn't always a BAD thing. It can be good because if you move or live here, your rent is FAR cheaper than NYC. The crime isn't terrible here.

3. Chicago most of all has much more space for you than NYC which is crowded yet it is still very urban, dense and mixed you that you might not even need a car here.

4. It doesn't smell as bad as NYC and it is definitey much cleaner.

5. Chicago has a lake front that is very well utilized and beautiful. NYC doesn't really utilize its ocean front as well as it could have.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM

27 posts, read 33,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
To answer the question to the original post:

A lot.

Chicago is completely different from NYC. People seem to think because we have the biggest skylines in the country that means we are similar. However, even our skylines in density, size and architecture vary a lot.

Honestly, no city can compare to NYC here in the U.S. Chicago has it's own flavor which is a mystery to most people that have never visited or just don't know about. It's flavor is nothing like New York's.

So if you are expecting some NYC on a scaled down version, you are looking at the wrong place.
NYC and Chicago are incredibly different. Most different are Midwestern and East Coast mentalities of their residents. Chicago even so big, still has the small town mentality where people are afraid of change and individualism is punished. As in "change is good as long as it is not happening in my backyard". New York on the other hand is a truly cosmopolitan city that promotes individualism and people are not scared of other people's success. New York street gives you the power to believe, Chicago street reminds you that nothing ever changes. Open-minded and non-judgmental versus judgmental and provincial. Chicago feels like a "really big small town" while in New York you always know you are in a big, cosmopolitan city.
It's an old story, really. Everything else is just secondary.

Last edited by grozny101; 07-29-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I never been to Chicago but have been to NYC. I would go to Chicago. There has to be a reason why 10 million people live there. Every city in this country has AT LEAST one thing that another doesn't.
Very true. No city is perfect and that is what I love about the U.S. All of our cities are unique in some way some more obvious than others.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What does Chicago have to offer that New York can't?
Breathing Room, and lots (more) of it.
Just for the record, if your a tourist just visiting Manhattan, than yes. But if your talking about the entire city, than I believe New York offers far more open space than Chicago. Also keep in mind that most of the land area and a majority of New Yorkers are in the 4 outer boroughs, especially Brooklyn and Queens.

These are rough figures I got for the two cities.

Chicago Park System 7,600 acres about 8.2% of the city

New York Park System 28,000 acres about 14% of the city
But then you add 26,000 acres of National Park lands for a rough total of 50,000 acres of parkland in NYC. This gives a total of about 25% of New York City being in parks and open space.*

* NYC Dept of City Planning

Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM

314 posts, read 423,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grozny101 View Post
NYC and Chicago are incredibly different. Most different are Midwestern and East Coast mentalities of their residents. Chicago even so big, still has the small town mentality where people are afraid of change and individualism is punished. As in "change is good as long as it is not happening in my backyard". New York on the other hand is a truly cosmopolitan city that promotes individualism and people are not scared of other people's success. New York street gives you the power to believe, Chicago street reminds you that nothing ever changes. Open-minded and non-judgmental versus judgmental and provincial. Chicago feels like a "really big small town" while in New York you always know you are in a big, cosmopolitan city.
It's an old story, really. Everything else is just secondary.
Labeling mentalities based on region is asinine. I'm currently a Chicago transplant living down south and have met plenty of other transpants here from out east, some from nyc. To label an entire region of people as "judgemental and provincial" or to label any group of people period is beyond ridiculous..especially when I've encountered these exact same personality traits from people out east with the "east coast" mentality. To use the term east coast mentality and say you promote individualism in the same sentence is a complete oxymoron. So basically what you're saying is ALL New yorkers are open minded, non judgemental, not threatened by others success and the list goes on...sounds like a nice lifetime channel script.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Chicago has big city amenities at low prices and a lot of happy people. It's got sports and the lake and jobs and entertainment en masse. It's a wonderful place.
Jobs en masse? You sure about that one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City