Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times

Advertisements

NYC
LA
Chicago
Philly
Boston/SF

Pretty much they seem like they are. LA is bigger than everywhere but NYC and looks like it to me. Not sure what perception issues everyone else may be working through to not be able to see things as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
NYC
LA
Chicago
Philly
Boston/SF

Pretty much they seem like they are. LA is bigger than everywhere but NYC and looks like it to me. Not sure what perception issues everyone else may be working through to not be able to see things as they are.
People who haven't been or have barely spent time in LA think that because LA sprawls, it doesn't have a "big city feeling" to it, which I can assure you is patently untrue. How many people here have heard of the Westwood District? Outside of Socal residents and frequent visitors, probably none. Well, it looks like this...

There are areas that look like this all over Los Angeles. There are numerous clusters of skyscrapers to be found all over the city, outside the downtown core. There's nothing about LA that isn't "big city."

Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
1. NYC

2. Chicago
3. SF
4. Boston
5. Philly
6. LA

Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM

90 posts, read 207,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
People who haven't been or have barely spent time in LA think that because LA sprawls, it doesn't have a "big city feeling" to it, which I can assure you is patently untrue. How many people here have heard of the Westwood District? Outside of Socal residents and frequent visitors, probably none. Well, it looks like this...

There are areas that look like this all over Los Angeles. There are numerous clusters of skyscrapers to be found all over the city, outside the downtown core. There's nothing about LA that isn't "big city."
The photo posted reminds me of the DC suburbs in Virginia - Arlington/rosslyn/ballston Areas. Yes you heard correct - dc suburb in va.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 PM

291 posts, read 688,717 times
1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) Philadelphia

Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times
NYC
LA
Chicago
Philly
SF

Everyone says LA is too sprawled out and spreadout and although it's true, it's so continuously never ending that you can't help but feel like youre in a massive city. Unlike some other southern/sunbelt cities, LA is pretty much built out.
Only way to go from here is to go vertical.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
NYC
LA
Chicago
Philly
SF

Everyone says LA is too sprawled out and spreadout and although it's true, it's so continuously never ending that you can't help but feel like youre in a massive city. Unlike some other southern/sunbelt cities, LA is pretty much built out.
Only way to go from here is to go vertical.
Los Angeles is massive, its metro is non ending and feels like it goes on forever. Its very uniform and dense at that as well. The city does feel more spread out and "smaller" than New York and Chicago but is definitely 3rd largest even by that metric and ahead of everyone else besides New York and Chicago on a city basis on feel IMO. By metro it feels the largest or second largest, for me it feels even more expansive than New York.

Metro Los Angeles- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rgangszone.JPG

Looks nearly endless.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM

215 posts, read 474,844 times
I lived in Chicago and was born and raised in LA. The city of Chicago does not feel larger than LA in my opinion. I will you that when you're in downtown Chicago, and some of the north-side neighborhoods it may feel larger. But after that most visitors don't go beyond those hoods. LA downtown may not be as large in Chicago, but its no slouch as most people don't even know really how large the downtown area covers. I can tell you most visitors I've given tours to from places like Chicago and even NYC was really surprise how large LA downtown really is.

Once you start exploring that city , and then you explore Los Angeles you will definitely know it feels larger, and I'm not just talking about it in square miles. There are areas of Chicago in the outer hoods to me that feels desolate and somewhat country although it's still urban in look. There isn't a neighborhood in the city of LA that feels that way, or look that way. Only in the hills will you get the feeling of some quaintness, but even then try driving one of those canyons over to the valley and you will still know you're in a very large city by the traffic going thorough those hilly communities.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I lived in Chicago and was born and raised in LA. The city of Chicago does not feel larger than LA in my opinion. I will you that when you're in downtown Chicago, and some of the north-side neighborhoods it may feel larger. But after that most visitors don't go beyond those hoods. LA downtown may not be as large in Chicago, but its no slouch as most people don't even know really how large the downtown area covers. I can tell you most visitors I've given tours to from places like Chicago and even NYC was really surprise how large LA downtown really is.
By city both Chicago and Los Angeles are close, almost a tie. Chicago has a much larger core downtown and neighborhoods surrounding it are more active. Los Angeles is huge just about everywhere you go.

I don't necessarily think I was being unfair to Los Angeles, as I think on a metro level it will surpass New York in size one day IMO and that its metro already feels denser and more expansive than either Chicago's or New York's. Los Angeles cant be anything but a big city, its never ending.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
New York, Los Angeles

San Francisco, Chicago

Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Dallas/FtWorth, Houston, Miami, Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City