Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,686 times

Advertisements

I love both cities but love Minneapolis more, my favorite place in the midwest. Minneapolis is an awesome city, coming from someone in DC and Miami the Minneapolis area has many desirable qualities I like. Crime is low, population is educated, metro is progressive, topography is beautiful, economy is first class, very diverse and powerful place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Is he wrong? No.
New Orleans is famous in the same way that Ke$ha is famous....for being a dirty, sleazy train wreck. That's not famous, that's notorious. I'd rather not be known than be known like that.

P.S. that warm milk put me straight to sleep -- thanks Annie!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
New Orleans is famous in the same way that Ke$ha is famous....for being a dirty, sleazy train wreck. That's not famous, that's notorious. I'd rather not be known than be known like that.

P.S. that warm milk put me straight to sleep -- thanks Annie!
People love visiting dirty, sleazy train wrecks then because it attracts more people than Minneapolis.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
People love visiting dirty, sleazy train wrecks then because it attracts more people than Minneapolis.
Cool!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
New Orleans is famous in the same way that Ke$ha is famous....for being a dirty, sleazy train wreck. That's not famous, that's notorious.
Haha yes this is somewhat true!
One thing i cant stand about New Orleans is how flat it is
In Minneapolis we can drive just outside the metro and see all the river valleys and go to ski resorts

Old 02-13-2012, 04:14 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Ok, they come to have fun for a weekend, but what about actually living there? A lot more people are moving to the Twin Cities to live there (12% growth from the 2000 to 2010 Census), even though it's very far from the Sun Belt. The quality of life is what attracts people to live there, and I think that matters more than being a fun/interesting place to visit. If NOLA had a better quality of life, then its visitors might say "hmm, maybe we should actually live here and not just visit"

Last edited by Smtchll; 02-13-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Ok, they come to have fun for a weekend, but what about actually living there? A lot more people are moving to the Twin Cities to live there (12% growth from the 2000 to 2010 Census), even though it's very far from the Sun Belt. The quality of life is what attracts people to live there, and I think that matters more than being a fun/interesting place to visit. If NOLA had a better quality of life, then its visitors might say "hmm, maybe we should actually live here and not just visit"
That's how a lot of people do end up moving here. If people want to come down here and blow some money getting ripped off on Bourbon, we're more than happy to accomodate them. But if people actually explore the city and see the common courtesies residents extend to each other, far and above what is expected in just about any other city, they often discover that there's quite a bit more to New Orleans culture than "beads, booze, and boobs".

Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
I've said this before but I cannot stand the idea on this forum that any place that actually has culture and is exciting is not a good place to live. For some reason, people think the "quality of life" category always goes to the more boring place.

What's the deal?

I enjoyed growing up in a place with culture and identity. Not one that has to try over and over again to create one. I enjoyed growing up in a place with independent stores, restaurants, and all kinds of businesses ALL OVER the city rather than one defined by Dunkin Donuts and Chipotle. I enjoyed living in a place where no matter what part of the metro area you live in you still identify with the culture and spirit of the place, a region not defined by sprawling suburbs and big box stores, with one "downtown" arts/entertainment district for "urban living". These forums vs. New Orleans always end up the same way with people saying NOLA is just too small or too "different" to be a "livable" city. Yet, we are one of the only cities in America with a unique culture, cuisine, music, architecture, dialect, history, etc. etc. etc. How can it be better to grow up in a place that is sterile and indistinguishable from the so many other cities in the country. At the end of the day, places like New Orleans don't have to show the rest of the country how "downtown's changed in the last 10 years, etc." We have been a dense, urban cultural full-fledged city for hundreds of years.

---This is from someone who grew up as a child in the city of New Orleans. I am educated and cultured and I decide to live in a place where there actually is culture and identity.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Yeah, because twice as many people visit MOA than Disney World.

And the #1 industry in Minnesota is Toursim.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I've said this before but I cannot stand the idea on this forum that any place that actually has culture and is exciting is not a good place to live. For some reason, people think the "quality of life" category always goes to the more boring place.

What's the deal?

I enjoyed growing up in a place with culture and identity. Not one that has to try over and over again to create one. I enjoyed growing up in a place with independent stores, restaurants, and all kinds of businesses ALL OVER the city rather than one defined by Dunkin Donuts and Chipotle. I enjoyed living in a place where no matter what part of the metro area you live in you still identify with the culture and spirit of the place, a region not defined by sprawling suburbs and big box stores, with one "downtown" arts/entertainment district for "urban living". These forums vs. New Orleans always end up the same way with people saying NOLA is just too small or too "different" to be a "livable" city. Yet, we are one of the only cities in America with a unique culture, cuisine, music, architecture, dialect, history, etc. etc. etc. How can it be better to grow up in a place that is sterile and indistinguishable from the so many other cities in the country. At the end of the day, places like New Orleans don't have to show the rest of the country how "downtown's changed in the last 10 years, etc." We have been a dense, urban cultural full-fledged city for hundreds of years.
The problem with your thesis is that Minneapolis isn't dominated by chain stores, isn't sterile, isn't boring, has a culture and has been a big city for over a century now. I like New Orleans too though, if I was going to move to the south it would be my first choice (by far).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City