Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing-- not taking a side either way. But I'm not sure the streetview posted is a good illustrator of the point you're trying to make. That's pretty suburban by Chicago standards; more akin to inner-city St. Paul or Milwaukee than the Southside. I've spent plenty of time on the Southside-- whole family is from Bridgeport, sister lived in Hyde Park. Family has since moved in different directions, some in Oak Lawn, some in Oak Park, but all pretty much universally on the south or west side of town or immediate south or western suburbs. From my experience, the parts/neighborhoods of the Southside that are still structurally intact are quite a bit more structurally dense than what that streetview of 12th and Clairmont illustrated.

But I haven't followed this debate closely, so maybe I didn't even get your point lol
I think you'd be surprised actually....Chicago's "bungalow belt" isn't too much more dense than Minneapolis', St. Pauls', Milwaukee's, Detroit's, etc. It's the OTHER 50% of Chicago, with 3-5 story flats and SF townhomes with multiple famlies residing in them that make Chicago's density unparalleled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
But I haven't followed this debate closely, so maybe I didn't even get your point lol
It's just a simple misunderstanding.

You keep comparing modern day Detroit to Chicago.

The point I'm making is during Detroit's heyday, Detroit was akin to Chicago's South Side (and West Side).

A lot of neighborhoods in Detroit had density levels in the 15,000-20,000 range like a lot of Chicago's South Side neigborhoods do today (Cass Corridor had density levels around 30,000).

It's just that a lot of those neighborhoods have been demolished, and only the suburban ones now are intact as the people in Detroit have gradually migrated from the center of the city to the outskirts.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM

303 posts, read 578,810 times
South Side of Chicago does looks similar to St.Louis.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I think you'd be surprised actually....Chicago's "bungalow belt" isn't too much more dense than Minneapolis', St. Pauls', Milwaukee's, Detroit's, etc. It's the OTHER 50% of Chicago, with 3-5 story flats and SF townhomes with multiple famlies residing in them that make Chicago's density unparalleled.
The "bungalow belt" though (btw, cool term....I'm stealing it ) in Chicago is really more Cicero/Oak Park down to Oak Lawn/Alsip, in my experience. Maybe there's quite a bit of that on the West Side, which I'm less familiar with. The South Side (what's structurally intact, anyway-- not vacant lots, large projects, or "new urbanist" projects that replaced the large subsidized housing projects) is mostly rowhouses, shotgun houses, small detached bungalows, or small apartment complexes, all on significantly smaller lots than what you would find in much of MSP (although some of the Near Northside of Milwaukee around Marquette gets close). Again, this is just my experience.

And, like any other place, Chicago neighborhoods are usually denser around big arterial routes and mass transit.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's just a simple misunderstanding.

You keep comparing modern day Detroit to Chicago.

The point I'm making is during Detroit's heyday, Detroit was akin to Chicago's South Side (and West Side).

A lot of neighborhoods in Detroit had density levels in the 15,000-20,000 range like a lot of Chicago's South Side neigborhoods do today (Cass Corridor had density levels around 30,000).

It's just that a lot of those neighborhoods have been demolished, and only the suburban ones now are intact as the people in Detroit have gradually migrated from the center of the city to the outskirts.
Well, *I'm* not the one that "keeps comparing", because I just joined in! lol

But I think I get your point. Yes-- more of Chicago is structurally intact. Both cities developed around the same time....Chicago, maybe a couple decades before Detroit. So, some of the housing stock in Chicago is a little older, but for the most part, the housing stock would have looked pretty similar in both cities around, say, 1950 or 1960?

And yes, more of the multi-unit stuff in Chicago has survived. I do think, however, that single-family stuff was always on smaller plots in Chicago than in Detroit. But I guess your point is that really close to Detroit's core it was close to Chicago-size lots, but not enough of that still exists to be able to paint an accurate picture....?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Rowhouse neighborhoods do not have 60 thousand ppsm. Unless you were simply exaggerating for effect, which maybe you were. Brooklyn is around 35,000 ppsm.
Wrong.

Not all of Brooklyn is residential, and not all residential areas are rowhouses. Many rowhouse neighborhoods in Brooklyn are roughly 60k /sq mile. The lack of alleys, fewer (or no) surface parking, and slightly narrower streets help increase the density relative to neighborhoods in other cities. streetCould show some streetviews and census data, but it might hijacked the thread from its midwestern focus.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Haven't seen much of the Midwest, but I thought Hyde Park was a nice urban neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
We should do metros instead of cities because the metro really show the true population of the city!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
But the cities are where the most interesting neighborhoods are.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
We should do metros instead of cities because the metro really show the true population of the city!
Please, not another city vs. metro debate

Other than that, Indianapolis no longer has the traditional older look. It was very derelict in preserving its historic neighborhoods and some they completely just plowed over. It's also a traditional sfdu city.

St. Joseph Architecture | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

St. Joseph Architecture | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lockerbie View | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In a Row | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Woodruff Place Flea Market-22 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Maryden | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Life on the Canal | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City