Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall meets our criteria?
Denver is better: 131 65.17%
Sacramento is better: 70 34.83%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM

515 posts, read 986,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Again, Denver has any ethnic group that sactown has. Numbers of them may be different, but we have them!
This argument is akin to claiming that driving 1.5 to 2 hrs to a sports venue is basically the same as having them in the center of your city. Which of course it is not.

When I moved to Denver from California I was shocked at how white the populace was. While there may be small numbers of many different ethnic groups in Denver, diversity in California - including Sacramento - is much more apparent and evident.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
REVIVED!

The other day I was listening to a great band and randomly looked up where they came from...and I was pleased to learn that CAKE IS FROM SACRAMENTO!

Any other good bands to come out of Sac?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
revived!

The other day i was listening to a great band and randomly looked up where they came from...and i was pleased to learn that cake is from sacramento!

Any other good bands to come out of sac?

deftones, jackie greene, tesla, oleander, papa roach, and yes, cake.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
deftones, jackie greene, tesla, oleander, papa roach, and yes, cake.
With the glaring exception of Jackie Greene it looks like the theme is heavier stuff. I'm not into anything heavy anymore but in HS I liked Deftones and Oleander. These days I would definitely go to a bar to hear Jackie Greene!

Congrats Sacramento, you win another one! Denver hasn't produced much of anything music-wise. Denver has a weak local circuit and the only notable act is The Fray (snicker).

Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
Wrong! Go back and re-read my post on the Denver acts. We win that as well!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
We have a decent live music scene here for a city our size. Of course, it's nothing compared to Austin. Being a big music fan, I'd kill for Sac to have a live music scene like Austin, which is huge.

The two cities I hope Sac learns a thing or two from is Austin and Portland, two mid sized cities that really punch above its weight. Of course, I want Sac to have its own vibe and character, but I think these two cities are doing it right.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
With the glaring exception of Jackie Greene it looks like the theme is heavier stuff. I'm not into anything heavy anymore but in HS I liked Deftones and Oleander. These days I would definitely go to a bar to hear Jackie Greene!

Congrats Sacramento, you win another one! Denver hasn't produced much of anything music-wise. Denver has a weak local circuit and the only notable act is The Fray (snicker).
Thats not true.
Music of Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look through this list, you may find many musicians you may reconize.
List of people from Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
We have a decent live music scene here for a city our size. Of course, it's nothing compared to Austin. Being a big music fan, I'd kill for Sac to have a live music scene like Austin, which is huge.

The two cities I hope Sac learns a thing or two from is Austin and Portland, two mid sized cities that really punch above its weight. Of course, I want Sac to have its own vibe and character, but I think these two cities are doing it right.
If Sac wants to do growth right, they need to do a better job managing a growing pop. than Austin in regards to public transit/traffic. Austin voted down light rail in 2000 and is now paying for it, as our traffic can get as bad as other much larger cities. We're trying to play catch-up with urban rail now but it's behind.

Last edited by MtnLion512; 01-19-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Thats not true.
Music of Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look through this list, you may find many musicians you may reconize.
List of people from Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes it is. Nothing in these articles tells much of the local scene, and a list of people born in/associated with Denver means little- for example, first on that list is India.arie who was born in Denver but her music career was nurtured in Atlanta. I'm talking about a respected local scene with a broad base of committed fans and which produces great quality music. I didn't say Denver doesn't have one or that it's horrible, I'm saying it's weak for a city its size. I grew up around there and went to countless shows in Denver, and never was impressed with acts out of Denver. Going to a concert at Red Rocks, Fiddler's Green, Fillmore, Gothic etc. is different. Denver does have great venues.

If I'm missing something please provide a list of notable acts that grew out of the Denver scene.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
Yes it is. Nothing in these articles tells much of the local scene, and a list of people born in/associated with Denver means little- for example, first on that list is India.arie who was born in Denver but her music career was nurtured in Atlanta. I'm talking about a respected local scene with a broad base of committed fans and which produces great quality music. I didn't say Denver doesn't have one or that it's horrible, I'm saying it's weak for a city its size. I grew up around there and went to countless shows in Denver, and never was impressed with acts out of Denver. Going to a concert at Red Rocks, Fiddler's Green, Fillmore, Gothic etc. is different. Denver does have great venues.

If I'm missing something please provide a list of notable acts that grew out of the Denver scene.
I am actually unaware of any musicians who actually had their career nurtured in Denver. A quick search could probably lead you to an answer though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City